Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HNC manufacturing Engineering

D

Deleted member 22389

Actually good to hear of a young person doing Mechanical Engineering. I didn't appreciate things 20 years ago, but now I look back I am so grateful of the training the old style Mechanical Engineers gave me, it will never come back now. I should imagine nearly all them have passed away now because they where in retirement when I started.

I worked in a proper old style machine shop, even the machines where in imperial. I think one of the milling machines had a digital display and the older engineers didn't like it.

I got taught all the basics and by the end I was pretty competent machining up blocks on the milling machine, surface grinding, using measuring tools. I messed up a few times like we all do.

Saying that I wanted to learn how to use a CNC machine was a dirty word back then, and when I went to a more modern company I was shocked to see a milling cutter where you could change the tips because I was used to grinding up my own cutters.

This country definitely needs more manufacturing. Looking at the rates of pay for CNC programmers is excellent. Don't think many of the kids in school even get to make anything these days, or the school even has a single machine for teaching purposes. It's all IT.

As for KTM, by grandfather worked there for years as a turner, passed away 98.

Last edited by a moderator:

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Actually good to hear of a young person doing Mechanical Engineering. I didn't appreciate things 20 years ago, but now I look back I am so grateful of the training the old style Mechanical Engineers gave me, it will never come back now. I should imagine nearly all them have passed away now because they where in retirement when I started.

I worked in a proper old style machine shop, even the machines where in imperial. I think one of the milling machines had a digital display and the older engineers didn't like it.

I got taught all the basics and by the end I was pretty competent machining up blocks on the milling machine, surface grinding, using measuring tools. I messed up a few times like we all do.

Saying that I wanted to learn how to use a CNC machine was a dirty word back then, and when I went to a more modern company I was shocked to see a milling cutter where you could change the tips because I was used to grinding up my own cutters.

This country definitely needs more manufacturing. Looking at the rates of pay for CNC programmers is excellent. Don't think many of the kids in school even get to make anything these days, or the school even has a single machine for teaching purposes. It's all IT.

As for KTM, by grandfather worked there for years as a turner, passed away 98.

I love it. We are a company that uses state of the art cnc cutters and a Dugard vertical milling centre.

The last course I did I learned to use old lathes and Mills and am now pretty good as I made all my own tool clamps, tailstock die holder, centre punch, parallels, angle blocks etc.

We have an old Bridgework mill at work that ulhas imperial dials and an old Colchester lathe that I have only seen used once in the 6 years I've been there.

I wouldn't say I'm young at 37 though!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here