Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HMV Gift Cards - What's the point?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Instead of vouchers this year I recieved a gift card. I can't see the point of these myself. Once you have used all the credit on your card you can top them up or bin them. I can kind of see that they might fool people into shopping at HMV instead of somewhere else but there is no real reward for using the cards that I can see. If you are going to top it up why not just use the money that you were going to top up with to buy what were you going to buy?

Am I being thick or are HMV being very clever?

:dunce:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Boots have exactly the same system. We were given one as a housewarming present and then I received another as a birthday present.

I preferred vouchers as I don't intend to top up the card.

Highfields Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bullock Smithy
The only reason for something like that could be at ASDA and the like, where people could put a bit on a week to save up for Christmas.

I had one from HMV for my birthday - I spent what was on it and then binned it.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I could understand them if you accrued something from having them and using them but it does seem that they are pointless?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
SubWay have their Card/Stamp system where when you buy a 6" Meal or 12" meal you get 1 or 2 stamps, when you complete the card (8 stamps) you get a FRE 6" when you purchase a drink (about £1.10 I think), this makes you buy a Meal instead of just a 6" or whatever so its quite GENIUS! Also if you fill up two cards you get a free 12" when you purchase a drink.
Personally I would like them to introduce some sort of proper card system where they swipt it and for every meal you buy you get points towards a free Meal rather than just having to buy a drink when you've got all your stamps. Maybe when you hit every 100 points or so you get a Free Meal and 50% off a SubWay t-shirt/baseball cap/boxer shorts or such like. That would ROCK!

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
I could understand them if you accrued something from having them and using them but it does seem that they are pointless?

It's a good point well put. I was given one for Xmas, and once I've spent the £20 it will be binned.

I was intending to use it the other day, but HMV's current sale is SHIT.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
The Boots card is really good. I often shop there and have amassed a fair few points over the weeks. Razor blades get you a bit of dough back! Yesterday, I got loads of digital pictures developed for free, using the points collected. First time I've ever bothered, but worked well.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
They've got to be more expensive to make than vouchers surely and probably can't be recyled like a paper voucher so I fail to see the point.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
I guess the idea is that if someone was going to give you a regular sum but wanted to make sure you spent it on the right stuff. Good idea for say someone away at Uni and the parents want to give them money for food, but wasted for HMV.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
I was just looking at the terms and conditions on mine, and there appear to be no benefits for the user whatsoever. All I can think is that the cards somehow benefit HMV in that they are easier to process for their staff than vouchers.

Rubbish idea in my opinion.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
eastlondonseagull said:
The Boots card is really good. I often shop there and have amassed a fair few points over the weeks. Razor blades get you a bit of dough back! Yesterday, I got loads of digital pictures developed for free, using the points collected. First time I've ever bothered, but worked well.

It's not the same as the Avantage card. I do collect points on that.
This is purely a gift card and works in exactly the same way as vouchers except that you can put money onto it yourself.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The Laughing Bluebird said:
I was just looking at the terms and conditions on mine, and there appear to be no benefits for the user whatsoever. All I can think is that the cards somehow benefit HMV in that they are easier to process for their staff than vouchers.

Rubbish idea in my opinion.

Thinking about it towards the end of vouchers you couldn't actaully recieve change in cash, it would always be in vouchers to the point where you'd only be able to recieve pennies and there was a bit of a hold up when they had to 'write off' the vouchers so I imagine it's easier for staff in this way. Plus I've noticed it's becoming much harder to have your money in cash form, probably a conspiracy so that we lose track of how much we're spending and where.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
eastlondonseagull said:

Or just buy them in Tesco where they're cheaper even after the points.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
The only advantage of the HMV card over vouchers is this.

Say you wanted a CD for £13.99 and had £15 in vouchers. You'd have to find something else to buy as well, there and then, because they wouldn't give you change.

With the card, you can keep that 'change' on the card and use it another day, when you're sure of what you wanted.

You still get the same amount, but at least with the card you're a little freer in terms of when you can cash it in – it doesn't have to be all in a one-er like it does with vouchers. A small benefit, but something.

But in reality, these cards are mainly a way for the store to trap you into shopping with them rather than, say, Virgin. 'Brand loyalty' in marketing-speak.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here