Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hippies

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Surely calling yourself a hippie is just a flag of convenience to justify spending most of your life stoned...dodging soap, razors and deodorant... whilst contributing very little or nothing to society.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Surely calling yourself a hippie is just a flag of convenience to justify spending most of your life stoned...dodging soap, razors and deodorant... whilst contributing very little or nothing to society.

You say that as if its a bad thing.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am trying to work out if you are being serious or not here ?
Thats the trouble with going to the pub you lose some perspective.

Serious that I saw the Stones live twice and they were rubbish musically. Don't get me wrong I actually love pre punk Stones studio music, I just think Jagger's stage presence covered some pretty poor playing, yet they are hailed as a great live band. Maybe they are now but I've lost interest in them :(

Serious about Altamont being the beginning of the end of the hippy movement too

Altamont Free Concert - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Charles Manson.

And you'd be lucky if he just nutted you.

Hate to say it but I love his music. Very disturbing stuff though. I think Brian Wilson did some stuff with him (or produced some of his stuff)

A little bit Terry Callier-ish and very prescient:
[yt]XojKnWDA20Y[/yt]

I hate hippies for 2 reasons: they smell and they are some of the biggest fascists going. Agree with Psychobilly Freakout too. Unless you've had one of their converted ambulances stuck outside your house for 6 months then you don't really know how annoying that really is.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Hate to say it but I love his music. Very disturbing stuff though. I think Brian Wilson did some stuff with him (or produced some of his stuff)

Dennis Wilson was a mate of his and quite in awe of him allegedly. But the Dennis was a bit of a f*** up himself.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Dennis Wilson was a mate of his and quite in awe of him allegedly. But the Dennis was a bit of a f*** up himself.

Thanks for the info. I was hoping you'd fill in some of the blanks. I know you're very clued up on this stuff. Yes, Dennis was a monster f***-up!

I've got a copy of the Manson Family Singers album too. Some lovely harmonies in there and some cracking tunes but knowing who was singing in it and when it was recorded is eerie - as is the laughter left in one of the tracks.

Will say this about hippy music - a lot it did have oodles of cynicism and even a dark edge to it. The Doors - 'The End' was as early as 1966.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I read somewhere a marvellous polemic about hippies. It was very probably Tony Parsons or Julie Burchill and they were saying for most working class people the 60s kind of stopped in 1966 as they were never really part of the culture. They absorbed the music and the wore the watered down fashions but never 'got' what hippies were about.

The point of the polemic was that hippies and the 60s were credited with changing attitudes BUT it was the kids of the late 60s, 70s and 80s that most changed attitudes especially around race, religion and sexuality. It was these generations that told the world that racism was not okay. They were/are the true liberals who forced mainstream to also become liberal. The hippies of the 60s merely went back to the establishment in the 70s. Interesting viewpoint.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Vivian wrote one of the greatest poems ever about Neil:

"Neil, Neil orange peel"

Classic :lolol:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
. The hippies of the 60s merely went back to the establishment in the 70s. Interesting viewpoint.

For the most part I would say that is spot on. Vietnam draft dodgers made up a fairly large number of hippies who travelled to Europe and India. Mummy and Daddy paid quite a few of them an allowance and they lived an idyllic live in interesting times with great music. The bright ones who hadn't "blown their minds" did tend to drift back into the establishment in the early 70's and I'd suggest quite a few have been or are now in positions of real power within the USA.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hippies created the vibe in all the best places; Brighton, Ibiza, San Francisco, Byron Bay, Goa. Indeed they invented the word. Maaaan.

Sausage

The wurst of the wurst.
Dec 8, 2007
I've just been made redundant.
I'm going to be a hippy.
I'm going to live in a bender and waft patchouli.
For me It's the way forward.
:afro:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I read somewhere a marvellous polemic about hippies. It was very probably Tony Parsons or Julie Burchill and they were saying for most working class people the 60s kind of stopped in 1966 as they were never really part of the culture. They absorbed the music and the wore the watered down fashions but never 'got' what hippies were about.

The point of the polemic was that hippies and the 60s were credited with changing attitudes BUT it was the kids of the late 60s, 70s and 80s that most changed attitudes especially around race, religion and sexuality. It was these generations that told the world that racism was not okay. They were/are the true liberals who forced mainstream to also become liberal. The hippies of the 60s merely went back to the establishment in the 70s. Interesting viewpoint.

I can`t stand Tony Parsons. I have never read any of his books but the pieces he used to write in the Mirror used to annoy me so much that i had to give up on them and the Mirror as my tea-break read and I bloody love articles and columnists. He was probably one of the most ill-informed people I have ever read when talking about drugs and their influences in modern culture. 2 lugs on a joint at uni and he knew it all.

They were the catalyst though I think. Add in some teddy boy attitude and mod cool and away we go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here