Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hip hop past and present

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
No worries, killed some time this morning.

I've got Mark B & Blade's album, but haven't listened to any of Blade's solo stuff. I also have Gunshot's second album (which doesn't want to play on most of my players!!), but missed out on their classic debut!

Just been listening to Ruthless Rap Assassins on spotify, it's pretty good, reminds me of the good old days when I was first getting into hip hop. I missed out on the others on your list.

Edit - Just found some Hijack to listen to on Myspace.. Didn't some of them go on to become a dodgy pop band (This dodgy pop band? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpx7IWPda8A)

You might also like London Posse, Silver Bullet, Marxman & Brotherhood from back in day.

A few other UK names that are still going:
Task Force, Asaviour, Foreign Beggers, Funky DL, Numbskullz, New Flesh 4 Old (bit hit & miss),

Also, if you can find it, there was a Brighton group called "First Down" (album was called World Service), one of the group is the graffiti artist Aroe, but I never managed to get my hands on it due to a lack of funds when I was younger, so no idea how good it is. (bit more info on them here - First Down – Free listening, concerts, stats, pictures at Last.fm)

There was also Dett Work South East by Blak Twang, not sure this was ever released, but every single that came out was very good, unlike the majority of his future releases. (let me know if you manage to find either of these last two??)

Edit - If you go on Spotify, click on related artists to discover similar artists.

Yes, I've got marxman and 1st down albums. Haven't listened to them in years. The 1st album by gunshot is immense. I saw them at the old zap club with a Brighton group I think was called deliverance

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Also, if you can find it, there was a Brighton group called "First Down" (album was called World Service), one of the group is the graffiti artist Aroe, but I never managed to get my hands on it due to a lack of funds when I was younger, so no idea how good it is. (bit more info on them here - First Down – Free listening, concerts, stats, pictures at Last.fm)

First Down are my boys. I hosted a mixtape for them a couple of years ago - link here: 273 EXCLUSIVE: First Down The 273

There's still a lot of good Hip Hop in Brighton. You should check for Rum Committee.

And on that note:

[yt]dQmvHvzjpEw[/yt]

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;4562764 said:
Have you heard any of Big L's Children of the Corn stuff? It was a teenage group he had with Mase, Cam'ron, Cam'rons cousin Bloodshed and another guy called McGruff

[yt]8jvwai4d42s[/yt]

Not heard Of them, will give it a go.

Stat Man

Tickle my fancy, fat man
Mar 3, 2009
Brighton
This may be my favourite thread ever. I'm listening to some much nicer music (and there was me getting bored with the majority of new hip hop, when there were tons of gems around).

If I'm honest my UK knowledge hasn't been too good for some time, but there is clearly an abundance of talent, so that will now change. (I just found this website that seems pretty thorough for UK hip hop from 1984 to 1996 - Heroes Of UK Hip Hop - Artists)

[MENTION=13]CHAPPERS[/MENTION] Thanks for the high focus tip off, am liking what I have heard so far. I love the tried by 12 beat on the Koaste/Enlish track, and they do it justice.

[MENTION=17931]RowleyBirkinQ.C(deceased)[/MENTION] Have just ordered a used copy of Patriot Games from Amazon for £8 on your recommendation, they've got the First Down album, but that's £17.00 & the Hijack album is £30.00!! It's a bit too near Chrimbo for them!

[MENTION=2813]D'Angelo Saxon[/MENTION] thanks for the the link, will download the mixtape, do you think they may make their older stuff available to download?
Rum Committee's album is sounding good, if you have any more Brighton recommendations I'd be happy to check them out. (Just found running punch, will give him a listen)
I missed the Big L gig as well, but saw the rest of D.I.T.C. at the Essential Festival in Brighton a few years back, shame they moved it, it was amazing seeing so many good acts & legends in one day.

Last edited:

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
[MENTION=2813]D'Angelo Saxon[/MENTION] thanks for the the link, will download the mixtape, do you think they may make their older stuff available to download?
Rum Committee's album is sounding good, if you have any more Brighton recommendations I'd be happy to check them out. (Just found running punch, will give him a listen)
I missed the Big L gig as well, but saw the rest of D.I.T.C. at the Essential Festival in Brighton a few years back, shame they moved it, it was amazing seeing so many good acts & legends in one day.

The Running Punch LP is definitely worth checking out. When I get round to it, I'll upload the 2 First Down LPs for download. Pretty sure they don't see any money from them, so they won't mind. I run the blog The 273 so I'm always putting new Brighton stuff up on there, so you might want to check that out too.

Koaste

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
This thread made me crack out Soundombing Volume 2 last night.

I haven't listened to any Hip Hop in years, aside from random nostalgia splurges on youtube.

It's weird that some of my favourite Hip Hop albums are compilations, Soundbombing Vol 2, Hip Hop Don't Stop (Prime Cuts), A Prince Among Thieves, when I can't stand them normally.

The most recent Hip Hop album I've listened to is Das Racist. I need some recommendations of good new Hip Hop, not R' n B. Not a vocoder in site please.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here