• No

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters

Dandyman

In London village.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I suspect it would mean far more to the families of the 96 to see some real justice - if the Police Federation are worth anything they will fully co-operate with any new investigation and support any prosecutions that arise from negligence and or the peverting of the course of justice. Someone has to do jail time for this.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I suspect it would mean far more to the families of the 96 to see some real justice - if the Police Federation are worth anything they will fully co-operate with any new investigation and support any prosecutions that arise from negligence and or the peverting of the course of justice. Someone has to do jail time for this.

The trouble is I suspect younger officers who changed statements under pressure from superiors may still be around the elders who made them do this are long gone.

Feb 14, 2010
The trouble is I suspect younger officers who changed statements under pressure from superiors may still be around the elders who made them do this are long gone.

No excuse. They were older than 18. As I said in another thread however, the police are highly paid compared to their qualifications and they hide behind the press and their trade union. We pay their generous pensions and allow them to retire early.

We however must understand they recruit from society and have a few intelligent people, many not so bright and many down right thick policemen. As with other areas of life finding people to accept mistakes without seeking to shift the blame is in the police, private sector and the rest of the public sector. However Bottom the police force is so vital to society that there should be a separate police to police them.

There have been similar outcries after guilford 4 and Birmingham 6. there has not been but should have been a huge outcry over the Cardiff Scandal but Cardiff, Guilford or Birmingham have yet to produce one accountable and jailed prison officer. Will this e any different? We shall see but I wouldn't put money on it.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
No excuse. They were older than 18. As I said in another thread however, the police are highly paid compared to their qualifications and they hide behind the press and their trade union. We pay their generous pensions and allow them to retire early.

We however must understand they recruit from society and have a few intelligent people, many not so bright and many down right thick policemen. As with other areas of life finding people to accept mistakes without seeking to shift the blame is in the police, private sector and the rest of the public sector. However Bottom the police force is so vital to society that there should be a separate police to police them.

There have been similar outcries after guilford 4 and Birmingham 6. there has not been but should have been a huge outcry over the Cardiff Scandal but Cardiff, Guilford or Birmingham have yet to produce one accountable and jailed prison officer. Will this e any different? We shall see but I wouldn't put money on it.

No excuse ?

So if you were a young officer and wrote your statement and your superior said if that goes in you are black-balled by everyone for the rest of your life by me and all my mates and your working life will be hell.

Come on be reasonable things were very different 23 years ago.

Feb 14, 2010
No excuse ?

So if you were a young officer and wrote your statement and your superior said if that goes in you are black-balled by everyone for the rest of your life by me and all my mates and your working life will be hell.

No mate, no excuse for the telling of lies to pervert the course of justice.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
No excuse ?

On the one hand don't Police Officers swear an oath of allegiance to a higher authority ie HM The Queen but in practice I agree that it seems possible a young PC may well have been coerced into changing his/her statement, especially if this reflected the culture in SYP at that time.

Sadly not unique to SYP - for example weren't there questions about the validity of Officers statements given in the JP de Menezes case about whether warnings were given before he was shot? Some suggestion that they all met up in a pub to agree what they would put in their statements?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
No mate, no excuse for the telling of lies to pervert the course of justice.

Well we will have to disagree on this as I suspect a lot of junior officers at the time had very little option but to change those statements.

96 people died and I would hate to think further people might perhaps make a rash decision and commit suicide over a lie they were perhaps forced to tell.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009

Agree entirely. But we all know it won't happen.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Well we will have to disagree on this as I suspect a lot of junior officers at the time had very little option but to change those statements.

96 people died and I would hate to think further people might perhaps make a rash decision and commit suicide over a lie they were perhaps forced to tell.

Maybe some of the Officers concerned will now welcome the opportunity to come clean after all these years and clear (in part) their conscience? It must be a horrible lie to live with all these years. I hope they would now feel able to finger those who told them to change their statements.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
No to a public enquiry in this day and age we have public enquiries if a cat is stuck in a tree, there should be criminal charges brought against the perpetrators.

Feb 14, 2010

Not one policeman has gone to jail over Cardiff, Birmingham or Guilford. The police should not investigate themselves. Some things have to be a red line, we pay for the police service and their service is so vital that standards have to be protected.

Feb 14, 2010

Not one policeman has gone to jail over Cardiff, Birmingham or Guilford. The police should not investigate themselves. Some things have to be a red line, we pay for the police service and their service is so vital that standards have to be protected.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
No to a public enquiry in this day and age we have public enquiries if a cat is stuck in a tree, there should be criminal charges brought against the perpetrators.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
The trouble is that some of those junior officers may now be senior officers about to retire on a nice fat pension which seems wrong and no matter what the pressure if one of those junior coppers at the time had spoken out and said this is wrong the families would not have waited 23 years for the truth to come out.

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
It's a very complax situation and unless you know the full facts of what actually happened you should just keep you opinions to your selves.

Do you honestly think all those police officers and medical staff are the scene were not doing their utmost to save lives?

Don't you think it strange that all those apologies heard on the TV today have used the word 'profoundly'. Has everybody been told what to say and isn't this a cover up 23 years after the event?

There are no winners.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
What the Association of Chief Police Officers?

The senior bullies and liars at S Yorks Police got the rank n file truth's altered.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la

The Police Federation is not a Trade Union. Police do not have the right to strike.

Most Police currently pay 11% of their monthly wage in pension contributions as well as income tax and N.I. The pension contributions will shortly increase to around 14% a month. The 'employer' does not contribute anything.

How do YOU allow Police to retire early? How many other servants of the crown complete 30 years to draw a full pension? This is also increasing by about 10 years in the near future for officers with currently less than 20 years service.

What facts or data do you base your opinion that many are not so bright and many down right thick?

The conduct of South Yorkshire Police was undeniably despicable during and after the events of Hillsborough. Hopefully all possible action will be taken to hold those responsible accountable.

Please stick to the facts and don't generalise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here