Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hillsborough Disaster - 22 years ago today

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
All these years later, and it still sends a chill down my spine when I think about it.

Any of us who went regularly in those days would have been in crowds that got tight (home to Bristol Rovers, front of the North got pretty nasty) from time to time, so we all had some vague concept of what happened, and how helpless you would be in that situation.

A truly horrific day, and I can remember the events unfolding, so clearly in my mind.

RIP, one and all.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I would imagine the sales of The Sun fall off dramatically on Merseyside at this time every year. It would claw it's way back up over the rest of the year, but it's an old wound that can never heal completely.

Even in 2006, Kelvin Mckenzie was unrepentant about what he published, saying.

"All I did wrong there was tell the truth...... I wasn't sorry then and I'm not sorry now because we told the truth."

Words cannot fully cover the contempt I have for that man.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I remember being at Elland Road that day (we lost 1-0).

The Leeds fans were cheering as the death toll was rising. Idiots.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
All these years later, and it still sends a chill down my spine when I think about it.

Any of us who went regularly in those days would have been in crowds that got tight (home to Bristol Rovers, front of the North got pretty nasty) from time to time, so we all had some vague concept of what happened, and how helpless you would be in that situation.

A truly horrific day, and I can remember the events unfolding, so clearly in my mind.

RIP, one and all.

Blimey gone quick. I'm glad football stadiums are better regulated these days. That's not to say another tragedy will not happen, but there is a much less chance of it happening, especially in modern stadia.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Blimey gone quick. I'm glad football stadiums are better regulated these days. That's not to say another tragedy will not happen, but there is a much less chance, especially in modern stadia.

If there hadn't been fences there would have been no tragedy. But the government of the time considered football fans to be animals, and caged them accordingly. This is not letting South Yorkshire's finest off the hook either though. They were culpable of gross negligence.

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex
Was in the away end at Leicester with 8000 Chelsea fans, very crushed, and very dangerous. Lots of Liverpool fans on the train in the morning going to Sheffield as well as Jimmy Hill. Half time the tannoy reported 'hooligans had stopped the semi-final at Hilsboro'. Once the real information filtered through it was a very sombre journey home.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I remember when we were forced to put up the fences at the Goldstone (following a Tottenham fan forced pitch invasion) thinking one day those fences will cause carnage. Had we had the fences up when the fans had to escape from the fighting many would have been hurt. It was a truly asinine idea to put the fences up in the first place. It was merely a cheap alternative to the hooligan problems for the authorities as the clubs had to pay for the fences.

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
Memorial Live on LFCTV (Sky 434) for anyone interested

Julio

Feb 18, 2009
I remember being at Elland Road that day (we lost 1-0).

The Leeds fans were cheering as the death toll was rising. Idiots.

I was at Elland Road that day, from the original announcements nobody knew the horror which was unfolding. The tannoy announced the game had been stoppped due to crowd trouble, which got the Leeds boys excited, they weren't cheering fatalities. That would be a step too far, even for Dirty Leeds. It was only after our game had finished that radio reports of the tragedy came through.

Attachments

• Leeds.JPG
    Leeds.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 562

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Can't have been older than 6 when it happened but its one of those things like 9/11 or Princess Dianas death that you will always retain the mental images of it.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
If there hadn't been fences there would have been no tragedy. But the government of the time considered football fans to be animals, and caged them accordingly. This is not letting South Yorkshire's finest off the hook either though. They were culpable of gross negligence.

exactly.

horrible , just horrible - I was too young to remember it but obviously due to the internet and many other media I've been able to have some understanding of the impact , nobody deserves to go to a game and not make it back YNWA

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Doesn't feel like 2 yrs ago that it was the 20th anniversary. A horrible time, a whole city in mourning - RIP. The sun was a disgrace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here