Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Highlights up - That "challange" on Painter....

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Yup blatent Red. Sick challenge.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
And El Abd! Bit embarassing really. A push to the chest does not warrant a clutch to the face. Although we've all seen players sent off for that.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I saw it at the game and was astonished that their player wasn't shown a red for it (ref bottling it like the El Abd incident and our penalty claim)

I was also amazed that Painter (thankfully) wasn't seriously injured by that challenge because it looked a very dangerous challenge indeed.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
I immediately thought red card - but was far more worried that Painter had been seriously hurt, as he waved his hand as if to say he was (which is the one thing i remember about when Nav went down at Northampton - and I said immediately that he was badly injured)

Thankfully Painter was ok - although the way he jumped up when the yellow card was given was almost comical...

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Looked dreadful at the time,seemed like he jumped in with boot feet and should have been red, if that had been one of our players there would have been 17500 weds fans baying for a red card and no doubt it would have been.
Mellor only deserved a yellow as El Abd made a meal of it.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Looked dreadful at the time,seemed like he jumped in with boot feet and should have been red, if that had been one of our players there would have been 17500 weds fans baying for a red card and no doubt it would have been.
Mellor only deserved a yellow as El Abd made a meal of it.

Since when does player reactions determine the colour of the card? - should Greers red have only been a yellow because of the over reaction of their player? or should he have got his red for the off the ball raising of hands against Rochdale, similar to the challenge on El Abd, so why the different outcomes?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Exactly as I saw it at the game.

f***ing horrific.

Ref = bottlejob prick who (as Gus rightly points out) should be BANNED for being so shit.

The El-abd incident is a straight red too, play acting or not. Raised hands = off

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Red.

I hope the assessors take a look at that referee's performance. I'm glad Marcos walked away from that.

DanielT

Only 3 mins highlights on Player - glad I paid £35 for that!

Quick summary, How did Mellor stay on the pitch - both hands in a hefty shove to the chest - surely a red?!

Jamie Smith's shot was excellent, as was Ankergren's spectacular save to stop coke getting a second.

Their goal was quite nice. Didn't look like any defensive/GK error on our part.

When I was listening to the commentary on Player on Saturday, after the Painter incident the commentators said something like, 'the ref daren't give a booking'. Was he intimidated by the fans?

owlsonlineadmin

Jul 22, 2010
Only 3 mins highlights on Player - glad I paid £35 for that!

Quick summary, How did Mellor stay on the pitch - both hands in a hefty shove to the chest - surely a red?!

Jamie Smith's shot was excellent, as was Ankergren's spectacular save to stop coke getting a second.

Their goal was quite nice. Didn't look like any defensive/GK error on our part.

When I was listening to the commentary on Player on Saturday, after the Painter incident the commentators said something like, 'the ref daren't give a booking'. Was he intimidated by the fans?

Erm the rules changed about 3/4 years ago, I think it was after Robben got Reina sent off when he went down like a sack o' spuds, it would ahve been a red had he touched his face.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Erm the rules changed about 3/4 years ago, I think it was after Robben got Reina sent off when he went down like a sack o' spuds, it would ahve been a red had he touched his face.
I suppose Painter went down like a sack o'spuds too.

Last edited:

owlsonlineadmin

Jul 22, 2010
I suppose Painter went down like a sack o'spuds too I suppose.

No, and having just watched it I believe Sedgy deserved a red card.

However I've watched Wednesday a lot over the last 25 years and some of the stuff your lads got up to off the ball was disgusting, the left back tries to elbow Buxton early doors, Sedgy had his calf raked with studs by another, the game was very very niggly from both sides

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Seemed a good game from the highlights, not sure that the complaints from our side were really that warranted post-match..

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Just as I remember it - an absolute disgrace. Always thought Sedgwick was a good pro but clearly not, I was really worried for Painter who looked in a lot of pain. El-Abd incident a little bit more embarrassing as I remember. However, had both incidents been against the home team, red cards would no doubt have been dished out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here