Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Higer taxes on gas guzzlers

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: Higer taxes on gas guzzlers

Man of Harveys said:
But this sort of argument was put forward in opposition to the hugely successful congestion charge in London - "oh, they'll just pay it anyway, won't solve anything" - until, six months after it had been introduced, the charge had been so successful about pushing people onto (not under) buses, it was actually bringing in less revenue than they'd expected it to.
True, but it is a blanket charge isn't it? Everybody paying the same? I'll hazard a guess that despite their name there were far less 'Chelsea Tractors' trying to get into Central London than beaten-up old Ford Fiestas driven by struggling single parents. Ergo the charge had its desired effect of reducing traffic - maybe too much! At least if they're going to target gas guzzlers they're going after a section of society who probably won't worry too much about paying more tax.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Close. It was "Every prime minister needs a Willie".

Was Maggie Philbin Prime Minister then ? I thought she was talking about the inadequacies of Cheggers! :lolol:

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
cardboard said:
Great idea - get those Chelsea tractors off the road

Seconded.

So what if they can afford it. What about the damage to the environment?

People carriers are OK, if you have kids.

Do people really need to drive about in a f***ing tank when then have no children and live in a suburb?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Soul Finger said:
Seconded.

So what if they can afford it. What about the damage to the environment?

People carriers are OK, if you have kids.

Do people really need to drive about in a f***ing tank when then have no children and live in a suburb?

People drive then as they're safer than smaller cars for a start, that's their right I think.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
bhaexpress said:
People drive then as they're safer than smaller cars for a start, that's their right I think.
Except that they're not, especially at speed, because they're top-heavy compared to saloons. Besides, I doubt most people think they're safer and drive them for that reason: I reckon they drive them to say "haven't I got a big f***-off car".

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
bhaexpress said:

They are only safer because they are twice the size.

Their right? What, the right to congest and pollute streets that weren't designed for mini tanks?

Do you ever spend time in North Laine?

The place is full of 'em and the pollution is shocking.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
bhaexpress said:

well ill bloody drive a TANK round town then. who gives a shit if it polutes and kills others. as long as im safe

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
mejonaNO12 aka riskit said:
well ill bloody drive a TANK round town then. who gives a shit if it polutes and kills others. as long as im safe

That's pretty much what people who own them think but in all honesty, if you could afford it wouldn't your drive a gas guzzler ? Never wanted to own a Ferrari ?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
bhaexpress said:
That's pretty much what people who own them think but in all honesty, if you could afford it wouldn't your drive a gas guzzler ? Never wanted to own a Ferrari ?

but i would only buy one of those if i was so rich that it wasnt a big expense.

these people who spend half there money on a huge car to feel big DESERVE to be PUNISHED

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
mejonaNO12 aka riskit said:
but i would only buy one of those if i was so rich that it wasnt a big expense.

these people who spend half there money on a huge car to feel big DESERVE to be PUNISHED

Yes and people say the same about students !

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
What about the Golf R32??

3200cc engine:wave:
246BHP:wave:
26MPG:wave:
It's a 4 x 4:wave:

I would imagine that most of the 4 x 4 hating posters on this thread would spunk all over their keyboards to get behind the wheel of one of these, even though they are environmentally evil, and far more likely to be driven dangerously by, lets say, estate agents and their kind.

Do these fall into the "gas guzzler" category, or is it just size thats the issue?

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
The Boss said:
What about the Golf R32??

3200cc engine:wave:
246BHP:wave:
26MPG:wave:
It's a 4 x 4:wave:

I would imagine that most of the 4 x 4 hating posters on this thread would spunk all over their keyboards to get behind the wheel of one of these,

Er, no.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Man of Harveys said:
Except that they're not, especially at speed, because they're top-heavy compared to saloons. Besides, I doubt most people think they're safer and drive them for that reason: I reckon they drive them to say "haven't I got a big f***-off car".

If you drive like an idiot yes they are unstable but if you drive sensibly they're not. As it is if you were in an accident what would you rather be in ? A Range Rover or a Mini ? Not a hard choice is it. That's why some people have them.

sleepynick

Sep 1, 2004
Saigon, Vietnam
The reason that gaz guzzling 4x4s need to be taxed off the road is because they...GAZ GUZZLE.

i.e. the fuel efficiency of some petrol models with their 4 litre engines are as low as 12mpg compared to small family diesels which have around 40 mpg!!!!.

While they may feel safer, they're endangering the lives of everyone else who isn't selfish or stupid enough to buy one

http://www.stopurban4x4s.org.uk/

Also put the petrol prices up for private vehicles as well, and give tax breaks to biodiesel (recycled chip fat) so its around 40p per litre, then you might actually start to make some real impact.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here