Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Heskey retires from international football - tributes here

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
Gabby Agbonlahor has a better one, so if he comes into the squad, all is not lost

I bet its not as good as Sepp Blatter!

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Gave his all for his country whenever called upon and never let us down, did his job for the benefit of the team and probably to the detriment of him.

Agree with this 100%. No one can criticise Heskey himself as he always gave his all, and if people don't think he's good enough to be a striker for England then their issue is with the managers who picked him, not Emile himself.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
top player.

dont knock him for his goal rate, Capello chose to include him.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Gave his all for his country whenever called upon and never let us down, did his job for the benefit of the team and probably to the detriment of him.
I'll assume you're not on a wind-up for once and I agree with you. A decent bloke as well by all accounts unlike some of his England colleagues. And most of the time he 'did a job', although I'll be the first to admit that it didn't work out in South Africa.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
How do you work that out?

Peter Beardsley;
Domestic 755 games 237 goals a goal every 3.19 games
International 59 games 9 goals a goal every 6.56 games

Emile Heskey;
Domestic 641 games 144 goals a goal every 4.45 games
International 62 games 7 goals a goal every 8.86 games

Heskey needed an extra 113 minutes to score a goal for his club, and 207 minutes to score a goal for his country.

Similar I said. NOT identical.

I was talking about internationally. And who is to say that in another two games Emile *could* score 2 goals making 64 and 9 compared to Beardsleys 59 and 9.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I assume that he has taken this decision to concentrate on getting Brighton out of League One next season? Add his name to the list of targets.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Bobby moves one place up the pecking order...

I was talking about internationally. And who is to say that in another two games Emile *could* score 2 goals making 64 and 9 compared to Beardsleys 59 and 9.

I assume this is some kind of joke? Since his recall Heskey scored TWICE in NINETEEN games. That was an even lower strike rate than his overall international average.

I have nothing against Heskey, he always tried his best in an England shirt. However, particularly in the last couple of years, he never looked like scoring, I was always waiting to see what comical way he would find of missing what looked like a simple chance. Was that ever true of Beardsley?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Marshy will be pleased....

Delighted ! I have no issue with Emile as a man, Im sure he always gave his all, shame it was no way near good enough to play for England.

At least he has done the decent thing and announced his retirement, lets hope a few more follow.

Whats the odds Capello asked him not too...

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I assume this is some kind of joke? Since his recall Heskey scored TWICE in NINETEEN games. That was an even lower strike rate than his overall international average.

I have nothing against Heskey, he always tried his best in an England shirt. However, particularly in the last couple of years, he never looked like scoring, I was always waiting to see what comical way he would find of missing what looked like a simple chance. Was that ever true of Beardsley?

Apart from the world cup just gone have we struggled with scoring goals in the last couple of years?

Far too much is made about Heskey's scoring record, the simple fact of the matter is England looked a better side with him in the team than when he wasn't.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Cheers EMAIL. I'll never forget your contribution to the 5-1 demolition in Munich.

But that fact is that we'll never come close to winning the big pot all the while limited footballers like Emile Heskey are anywhere near the side. None of which, of course, is Heskey's fault. (The same could be said of Defoe, who also looks out of his depth)

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Apart from the world cup just gone have we struggled with scoring goals in the last couple of years?

Far too much is made about Heskey's scoring record, the simple fact of the matter is England looked a better side with him in the team than when he wasn't.

I thank you. Besides he was also the only player of the WC squad who had scored in the knockout rounds of the last world cup.

Sten get off your high horse. Im merely comparing stats.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

correct

Sorry, run that past me again? Did you just ask if we struggled to score goals, except for when it mattered, with Heskey in the side? Talk about selectively choosing your evidence! And before we start talking about whether Croatia are a good side; a decent side they may be, but that's based on their attacking midfielders; look at the squad and their defenders don't seem to be playing for many big clubs, suggesting maybe they aren't the best.

As I've said, I fully appreciate the effort that he put in. That doesn't make him a good player though. This world cup, England looked shite when he was in the side, and shite when he was out. The fact that he played IMHO just highlighted a) what a dearth of quality strikers we have and b) how myopic Capello was when it came to Heskey. That moment when Heskey came on when we were 4-1 down was absolutely classic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here