Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Here's Why Beasant Was Pissed Off

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Mr Popkins said:
I bet over half the people on North Stand chat do not earn £500 a week!. i earn nowhere near that.
brighton is a very low paid town ,working on a call centre you will be lucky to make £15,000.
I earn £16,500 plus a milage allowance, i get by and am just taking out a mortgage.

I think its you who needs a reality check!

How old are you? What do you do for a living? Just becasue you are in a different field that pays less doesnt mean that people in better jobs should earn the same!

A first year pro footballer would earn about £26k! Non league footballers and not even Conference earn more. Beasant is a seasoned pro who has commitments and deserves at least double the joke he has been offered!

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
I don't earn that either, first job, in the public sector and all that, just risen to a shade over £14,000.

But thats becaus its your first job and you are learning. Im sure you dont expect to be on anything like that when you are Beasants age. I earnt 15k on my first job ten years ago and now im on significantly more than that because I have learnt my trade and risen the ladder.

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
Albion Dan said:
How old are you? What do you do for a living? Just becasue you are in a different field that pays less doesnt mean that people in better jobs should earn the same!

A first year pro footballer would earn about £26k! Non league footballers and not even Conference earn more. Beasant is a seasoned pro who has commitments and deserves at least double the joke he has been offered!

Im not saying he should earn the same as me .it was just your attitude that wound me up saying you wouldnt get out of bed for £500 a week!. there are alot of people out there who are unskilled who would get out of bed for alot less to support their family.

all im saying is alot of people manage their lives on not much money.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Are you in a career where there are hundreds of workers without contracts, and a glut of potential employers that have no money?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
80's Seagull said:
Are you in a career where there are hundreds of workers without contracts, and a glut of potential employers that have no money?

At least Football clubs don't outsource their jobs to India or China. There are actually still football positions available in this country, which is more can be said for many other jobs in many other industries!!!

:mad:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Albion Dan said:
All of you lot who think £500 a week is ok are living on f***ing cloud cukoo! I wouldnt get out of bed for that and he has probably got a family to support. £26,000 a year? You could probably get that working as a supervisor in a call centre!

But he can certainly pick up money elsewhere, and he does. What other job also gives you the opportunity to turn up on "You're On Sky Sports" or "Soccer Extra" ?? I bet he doesn't do that for free.

If he wants to carry on playing he has to take the best offer available, but in the current climate, he may find it's the only offer.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Mr Popkins said:
Im not saying he should earn the same as me .it was just your attitude that wound me up saying you wouldnt get out of bed for £500 a week!. there are alot of people out there who are unskilled who would get out of bed for alot less to support their family.

all im saying is alot of people manage their lives on not much money.

Im sorry, It might have sounded like that but I really didnt mean it too. I used to earn the same money as you, and around that figure for quite a few years but after ten years in a field I expect more and my commitments and living in London mean I need to earn much more just to live to a sensible standard.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Agree that in a normal career you would expect that Dan, but Beasant has to realise the current situation that league clubs are in. Also experience surely only counts up to a point, the fact is that he is one the oldest players still in the league and past his best.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
80's Seagull said:
Agree that in a normal career you would expect that Dan, but Beasant has to realise the current situation that league clubs are in. Also experience surely only counts up to a point, the fact is that he is one the oldest players still in the league and past his best.

The bottom line is that I suspect Beasant could expect more than £500 a week. Yes he's getting on, but we're talking about a proven ex-Prem, Cup-winning keeper who also holds the distinction to be the only player to save a penalty in a cup final. Whether he wants to take a relatively low paid position is up to him, but it seems he doesn't and I don't blame him for that.

The fact is, we won't pay more for a 2nd string keeper, and we already have a GK coach. Beasant needs to tout himself amongst clubs who need a decent first choice keeper and possibly a GK coach. I think Albion are simply being sensible about this...

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Simster said:
The bottom line is that I suspect Beasant could expect more than £500 a week. Yes he's getting on, but we're talking about a proven ex-Prem, Cup-winning keeper who also holds the distinction to be the only player to save a penalty in a cup final. Whether he wants to take a relatively low paid position is up to him, but it seems he doesn't and I don't blame him for that.

Didn't Mark Crossley save a Gary Lineker penalty?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
80's Seagull said:
Didn't Mark Crossley save a Gary Lineker penalty?

Crossley was also responsible for saving the only penalty Le Tiss failed to score from.

Mullers

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
Good old Sussex by the sea!
Why is everyone talking about Big Dave being reserve team keeper? As i understand it, FDM cannot even kick a ball hard yet, and how will his form be when he is fully fit? Also, keepers are all prone to injury, we need two decent keepers, not one who is currently suspect, and another Packham!???

And, all you people who think £500 is a decent wage for a seasoned professional - do get real! He may as well hang-up his boots!

Rochester Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Dickensian Rochester
Do you really think Bobby is on £8k per week - thats £416,000 per annum, I think not.

Matthew Upson is on £8k per week, Bobby's on around £1500 per week (£78,000 per annum)

Mullers

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
Good old Sussex by the sea!
Rochester Seagull said:
Do you really think Bobby is on £8k per week - thats £416,000 per annum, I think not.

Matthew Upson is on £8k per week, Bobby's on around £1500 per week (£78,000 per annum)

Bobby was on more than that two years ago! If he has also had his wages cut for going down, i suspect he is on about £4.5k/week now. No wonder he wants to move to the Prem. where he would lots more! Footballers' working lives are very short, so their wages should not be compared to other professions.

Rochester Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Dickensian Rochester
Mullers said:
their wages should not be compared to other professions. [/B]

We're all fully aware of that but there's a huge divide between the prem and other divisions and if you believe he earns the sort of figures being banded about you are wrong.

£1500 a week I tell you.

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
I know we're screwed financially and we're now a 2nd Div team, but £500 pw (£26,000 pa) is not much considering Big Dave's experience, reputation and ability. Aidan Newhouse was on £33,000 per year and that was over four years ago!!! - ( I know 'cos I used to work for the company that let him a house) and Fozzie was on at least 4 times that in 1982.

I know we immediately get less being in a lower division and we've got bills 'cos of the Falmer situation, but we're not paying the salaries of:-
Paul Kitson (must have been on a fair whack)
Paul Brooker
Paul Rogers
Will Packham
whatever our share was of Ivar's salary
and ditto re: Barrett

Plus the season tickets prices went up if you didn't renew before the end of March.

We must be REALLY screwed money-wise!!

:(

Having said that - at least our players are being paid - unlike those at Wimbledon and one or two other clubs!!

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
But didn't DK say that running costs in Div 1 were 40% higher than Div 2 during the Fans Forum? If that's the case our playing budget should actually be increased + we've lost the players dunnon mentions above.

The Beasant situation is quite simple. He thinks he's worth more than £500 a week, we don't. For us £500 to sit on the bench is worth paying and no more, for Beasant its too little for a man of his experience. If he can earn more elsewhere good luck to him.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Gritt 23 makes a good point. To get media contracts etc you need to be in the limelight as a player or manager. Reserve Team coaches don't get media jobs and neither do 2nd Choice keepers.

Incidentally - it's been interesting to see how many millions of pounds Beckham will be worth to Real Madrid in terms of endorsements, fashion shoots, replica shirts etc.

I may be biased here, but do you not think Bobby Z also has serious marketing value if he played for a Premier League Club - after all he's not exactly Lee Bowyer in the looks department?

This makes me think that DK is absolutely right to hold out for a decent offer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here