Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Herald Of Free Enterprise.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Spooky story but a girl (well lady now) at work was booked on that as a passenger with three others but missed it and went later.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
they were playing lionel richie dancing on the ceeling in the boats disco......:facepalm:

manilaseagull

Used to be Swindonseagull
I too was booked on the Herald, But fortunately missed it, My wife and I were coming home to Portslade from RAF Wildenrath for my daughters christening, due to a late finish at work and traffic we missed it, we dis get another ferry and sailed right past it.

By the time we got to portslade there were numerous phone calls from Police, RAF and other places to see if we had reported in to my parents.

It was before mobile phones of course, we totally forgot to tell anyone we were OK, we did not even know it was the ferry we should have been on...

Still gives me goose bumps today.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
"Human bridge
Another woman told how her husband had made himself into a human bridge so she and her daughter could climb across to safety - but when she called to him to follow he said there were others who needed help getting out. He has not been seen since. "

Another prime example of what the human race will do when faced with danger. Touching.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
One of the most glaring examples of human incompetence in history.

Truly unbelievable that something like that could ever happen

To a certain extent I would disagree as I believe it was common practice by all ferry operators at the time to leave port with the car entry open it just had never occurred before when a load of water shipped in and the fatal consequences.

footychick

Nicola
Dec 8, 2005
Soham, United Kingdom
I too was booked on the Herald, But fortunately missed it, My wife and I were coming home to Portslade from RAF Wildenrath for my daughters christening, due to a late finish at work and traffic we missed it, we dis get another ferry and sailed right past it.

By the time we got to portslade there were numerous phone calls from Police, RAF and other places to see if we had reported in to my parents.

It was before mobile phones of course, we totally forgot to tell anyone we were OK, we did not even know it was the ferry we should have been on...

Still gives me goose bumps today.
I bet :eek:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I have vague memories of it. They released a charity version of Let It Be to raise funds if I recall correctly.

Which, needless to say, had the lyrics cruelly changed in most school playgrounds to something far less sympathetic :blush:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here