Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It always amazes me the number of Chinese Indian and Kebab shops that do free deliveries and most are people moonlighting in a 2nd job and not paying tax on their earnings and the owners of the shops probably just tearing up the cash bills thus avoiding declaring that particular delivery for VAT or tax. This must lose the country a small fortune in lost taxes

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
To be fair to HMRC they outsource most of the work - it used to be EDS not sure who it is now but you can guarantee it will be low salary brainless idiots doing the work.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
It always amazes me the number of Chinese Indian and Kebab shops that do free deliveries and most are people moonlighting in a 2nd job and not paying tax on their earnings and the owners of the shops probably just tearing up the cash bills thus avoiding declaring that particular delivery for VAT or tax. This must lose the country a small fortune in lost taxes

A lot of takeaways pay a fixed amount of vat so it doesn't matter that much. Also its easy for the Vat to check up on takeaways by counting the footfall going in to collect and the delivery bags on the way out - Do it on a Friday or Saturday and you can be quite accurate of the turnover.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Tell me about it. I'm 17 and just started a part time job in a cafe. They have taxed me 20% since the beginning even though a) I filled out a p45 form or whatever they're called and b) They shouldn't tax people who earn under £150 anyway. :angry:

You either ticked the wrong box or your employer is doing it wrong - all you need to do is ring the tax office with you national insurance number with you.

Dandyman

In London village.
If that's the worst cock up they're making, then they're doing a pretty good job IMHO.

Now to make sure that all the pop stars, racing drivers, Ken Bates and the other off-shore c**ts, contribute to Britain like the rest of us.

Nail on head.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A lot of takeaways pay a fixed amount of vat so it doesn't matter that much. Also its easy for the Vat to check up on takeaways by counting the footfall going in to collect and the delivery bags on the way out - Do it on a Friday or Saturday and you can be quite accurate of the turnover.

My point is that every takeaway in Haywards Heath does home deliveries as in most towns and short of watching and counting every time a man leaves the shop with his heat controlled bag it is virtually impossible to gauge how much business is done and how much each driver has earned.

A friend of mine was Tax Inspector and if she suspected a fish and chip shop was under declaring their takings she would go into the shop at closing time on a Friday lunchtime being the busiest session in those days and then what ever the takings were for that session gauge all other sessions on that.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
My point is that every takeaway in Haywards Heath does home deliveries as in most towns and short of watching and counting every time a man leaves the shop with his heat controlled bag it is virtually impossible to gauge how much business is done and how much each driver has earned.

A friend of mine was Tax Inspector and if she suspected a fish and chip shop was under declaring their takings she would go into the shop at closing time on a Friday lunchtime being the busiest session in those days and then what ever the takings were for that session gauge all other sessions on that.

I think they are a bit smarter now. They check the amount of Chicken/fish bought against how much is delivered and as I said its fairly easy to tell how much is going out in those bags.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

No different from every other cash based business in this country.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Dont you just love em.

A couple of months ago, my wife received a notice from HMRC that she hadnt submitted her tax return and would be fined £100. In fact the return had been submitted along with mine in December and we have the receipt etc.

Anyway, the fine was appealed and indeed the HMRC agreed it was their cock-up. In the letter it stated this:

"Your appeal has been successful and the £100 penalty has been cancelled. Please ensure that you submit your tax return on-time in future to avoid us having to impose these penalties."

Bloody cheek. :angry:

This happened to me, and I called to ensure it would not be held/used against me in future i.e looked like they gave you one error then hit you with fine. As it was not my fault but felt I should check.

Bad move got a really patronising rant and full out not their fault, so left it and always insure I keep records of my payments.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It's not surprising that there are problems at HMRC bearing in mind the job losses they have suffered which seem illogical when it is there job to collect taxes that will help reduce the deficit. Cuts started under labour and continued under the coalition. It's a bit like if you were running a large shop and had a problem with shoplifting and the first cuts you make to cover the losses are the security guards and then you act surprised when shoplifting goes up!!!

BBC News - UK tax gap narrows to £35bn, says HMRC

Union anger over HMRC job cuts | Public Leaders Network | Guardian Professional

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
It's not surprising that there are problems at HMRC bearing in mind the job losses they have suffered which seem illogical when it is there job to collect taxes that will help reduce the deficit. Cuts started under labour and continued under the coalition. It's a bit like if you were running a large shop and had a problem with shoplifting and the first cuts you make to cover the losses are the security guards and then you act surprised when shoplifting goes up!!!

BBC News - UK tax gap narrows to £35bn, says HMRC

Union anger over HMRC job cuts | Public Leaders Network | Guardian Professional

Yep, the Collectors office in Brighton was one of those closed. 'A source' tells me that some of the cases they were working on have not been touched since.

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man
If that's the worst cock up they're making, then they're doing a pretty good job IMHO.

Now to make sure that all the pop stars, racing drivers, Ken Bates and the other off-shore c**ts, contribute to Britain like the rest of us.

Charming, does tha include me Kay? :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here