Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Dont you just love em.

A couple of months ago, my wife received a notice from HMRC that she hadnt submitted her tax return and would be fined £100. In fact the return had been submitted along with mine in December and we have the receipt etc.

Anyway, the fine was appealed and indeed the HMRC agreed it was their cock-up. In the letter it stated this:

"Your appeal has been successful and the £100 penalty has been cancelled. Please ensure that you submit your tax return on-time in future to avoid us having to impose these penalties."

Bloody cheek. :angry:

Last edited:

Lush

Mods' Pet
If that's the worst cock up they're making, then they're doing a pretty good job IMHO.

Now to make sure that all the pop stars, racing drivers, Ken Bates and the other off-shore c**ts, contribute to Britain like the rest of us.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Tell me about it. I'm 17 and just started a part time job in a cafe. They have taxed me 20% since the beginning even though a) I filled out a p45 form or whatever they're called and b) They shouldn't tax people who earn under £150 anyway. :angry:

Tell me about it. I'm 17 and just started a part time job in a cafe. They have taxed me 20% since the beginning even though a) I filled out a p45 form or whatever they're called and b) They shouldn't tax people who earn under £150 anyway. :angry:
Get used to it skin,
you'll be paying for gypsies,paedophiles,terrorists and ferrel kids till the day they put you in a box!

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London

That'll be your employer cocking that up, not the HMRC...

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

I may be wrong but I assume you filled out a P60 as that is usually the form you'd fill out if you're just starting work. A P45 is what you receive once you finish employment (notes your tax code etc). If I've got that right, you'll be put immediately onto emergency tax until the employer & HMRC give you the appropriate tax code relevant to your pay etc.
Your pay should straighten out within 4-6 weeks at best.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I may be wrong but I assume you filled out a P60 as that is usually the form you'd fill out if you're just starting work. A P45 is what you receive once you finish employment (notes your tax code etc). If I've got that right, you'll be put immediately onto emergency tax until the employer & HMRC give you the appropriate tax code relevant to your pay etc.
Your pay should straighten out within 4-6 weeks at best.

P60 is the one you get given at the end of the tax year - it'll be a P46 he filled in. Assuming the right box was ticked (the "This is my only job" box) the employer should be able to tax him correctly from day 1, I think.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
P60 is the one you get given at the end of the tax year - it'll be a P46 he filled in. Assuming the right box was ticked (the "This is my only job" box) the employer should be able to tax him correctly from day 1, I think.

Yep sorry, P46 is the one. However let's say it's his first job or he has no P45 from his previous job. How are HMRC to know how much to tax and what his tax code is, meaning it would be impossible to tax him correctly from day one therefore going straight onto emergency tax. If that makes sense?
Also, as the Bean stated, he would avoid paying tax due to the low income.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Yep sorry, P46 is the one. However let's say it's his first job or he has no P45 from his previous job. How are HMRC to know how much to tax and what his tax code is, meaning it would be impossible to tax him correctly from day one therefore going straight onto emergency tax immediately. If that makes sense?
Also, as the Bean stated, he would avoid paying tax due to the low income.

I think that's what the boxes & the P46 are for - it tells the employer where to start taxing at in the absence of a P45.

Box A = First job this year so standard code (cumulative, use all allowance to date), Box B = Only job now but employed before, so give standard allowance on monthly basis, Box C = have another job so put on emergency tax. Assuming Bean ticked box A or B he shouldn't have been taxed. I think HMRC will then notify the employee later down the line.

HMRC don't actually, themselves, tax anyone that's paid by their employer on standard PAYE - the employer does all the calculations and sends the figures and money to HMRC.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I think that's what the boxes & the P46 are for - it tells the employer where to start taxing at in the absence of a P45.

Box A = First job this year so standard code (cumulative, use all allowance to date), Box B = Only job now but employed before, so give standard allowance on monthly basis, Box C = have another job so put on emergency tax. Assuming Bean ticked box A or B he shouldn't have been taxed. I think HMRC will then notify the employee later down the line.

HMRC don't actually, themselves, tax anyone that's paid by their employer on standard PAYE - the employer does all the calculations and sends the figures and money to HMRC.

Fair does, but how come he's getting taxed even though he's earning lower than the minimum taxable income?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I used to have to send in monthly returns and monies for any guys who worked for me on a self employed basis. One month I received fines saying that I had not sent in a monthly return for the last 9 months. Bearing in mind this was 9 different letters, they then proceeded over the next week to send them out again 13 times. So I received 117 letters informing me that I was liable to these fines.

Of course I wasn't,t but that didn,t help that tree though did it.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Fair does, but how come he's getting taxed even though he's earning lower than the minimum taxable income?

Because, as DTES has said, whilst the employer does all the calculation/reconcilliation etc, it is all based on the individual's tax code as issued by HMRC.

But in the absence of a code issued by HMRC, if the employee has (correctly) filled in a P46, the employer can estimate the tax code. Therefore, I believe, the only two reasons Bean would be paying tax are either he filled the form in wrong, or his employer is getting the calculations wrong (or doesn't know what to do with the P46 form).

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
They sent us a letter the other day saying we owed a fine from 2008 and they wanted it paid now as well as interest. We rang up straight away and said we would check it out but didn't think we owed anything but would get back to them in a couple of days when we went back through our records. They said that wasn't good enough and wanted it sorted out quicker and...... "you should be keeping proper records about this you know!"

About 10 mins later we found the paperwork and the details of the cheque we sent in 2008 and also the date they cashed it through our bank. We took great pleasure in telling them all this and adding at the end....... "you should be keeping proper records about this you know!"

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I have done mine on line for the last few years. You can check that you have included all your work related allowances/expenses and what they owe you (or visa versa...) before you submit. Best bit is that if they owe you any money it gets deposited into a nominated bank account within 10 days.

Dont you just love em.

A couple of months ago, my wife received a notice from HMRC that she hadnt submitted her tax return and would be fined £100. In fact the return had been submitted along with mine in December and we have the receipt etc.

Anyway, the fine was appealed and indeed the HMRC agreed it was their cock-up. In the letter it stated this:

"Your appeal has been successful and the £100 penalty has been cancelled. Please ensure that you submit your tax return on-time in future to avoid us having to impose these penalties."

Bloody cheek. :angry:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
After a few years of not chasing 'small' debts, (because they can then cut staff) they now acknowledge that an awful lot of 'small' debts add up to an awful lot of money so they are sending out demands, with the absolute minimum of information and purposely leave out a contact telo because they just expect people to pay.

Now, in the real world, if you got a letter saying you owe £xxx amount, would you just pay it? More likely thrown away as a scam.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here