Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Henmaphobia - have you got it?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Tim Henman is a legend :clap: :clap: :clap:

When hes gone you will grumble your arses of about Wimbledon and us never having anyone any good in it !

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
No he's not a legend! He's the best we've got but that's really not saying much is it? How many Grand Slam tournaments has he won? He's a good player - end of. All you tennis fans should be spitting feathers that there is no sign of another Henman coming through. The book of 'Great British Tennis Players' is only slightly thicker than the book of 'Great British Astronauts'

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Brovian said:
To repeat what I said earlier:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Willow
Inverted snobs, the lot of ya! Henman's unquestionably the most able tennis player we've had for generations. Maybe if he grew up in a council flat in Toxteth...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is the point though isn't it? - if he'd grown up in Toxteth he'd never had made it as a player. Not many council flat tenants have their own private tennis courts like Henman's parents did.

As I said on the other thread I know I should support him but I'm afraid he really brings out the Class Warrior in me. To me he doesn't represent England, he represents wealth and privilege. If it's him against some Aussie who was bought up in the backstreets of Brisbane and learnt the game by hitting a rolled up sock with an old snowshoe I'm afraid I'm with the Aussie. Sorry again but that's just how I feel.

I don't think Henman's a choker though like some do, he just isn't the best player.

but it is inverted snobbery and it is class bollocks. is tennis cheaper to play in croatia, argentina, spain, etc etc?

i have no idea where henman comes from but i think the fact people don;t like him because they perceive him as some middle class tennis boy is a pathetic really

and i'm a hypocrite cos when i watch tennis i also cringe when i here 'nice' people shout 'come on tim'. i think its daft i do though.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Marshy said:
Gary Lineker is an England Legend...and what did he win.

Sweet FA as well..
Er... not quite. Internationally just off the top of my head he won the Golden Boot as the Top Scorer in the 1986 World Cup as well as the Spanish League and Cup Winners' Cup with Barcelona.

Anyway that is largel irrelvant as he played in a TEAM sport, whereas 95% of the time tennis is for individuals. Come on Marshy, I know you're not the sharpest knife in the drawer but try to make better comparisons. Henman is the best we've had in recent years and that is a matter of shame not pride.

Albion Rob

Lineker also collected an FA Cup winners mdal with Spurs.

I agree with what a few people have alluded to, it's not Hnman I dislike, in fact I feel quite soory for him because when he is about to lose the court must feel like a lonely place with all the expectation and that.

I am sure there are loads of lovely people who watch tennis, but they're just not my cup of tea and do get on my nerves a bit., Do most of them go and watch the satellite events? Or turn out for Davis Cup ties? Course not, they just go for the strawberries aand cram and a chance to yell 'come on Tim'.

I think this is part of a wider persecution complex though. When you aska football fan why they don't like a sport they'll usually says something like: "It's boring" or "Doesn't interest me" If you ask a non football fan why they don'y like football they reel of a list of reasons ranging from what the players are payed to saying all football fans are yobbos. And that really fucks me off.

I like Henman, I want him to win stuff.

Knocking him because of class or image is daft, when you realise Britain supports a royal family who have won nothing but get jewels, travel, bints, accolades, respect and money handed them.
What talents have the royals got other than attracting the media for everything they do?

You just know that, every time there's a bloke found in Buckingham p*l#ce that somehow sneaked under the radar, he's been rogering Liz doggy-style and she had to make out she never saw him before.

Get rid of those wasters, and get behind Henman without finding some obscure reason to dislike our only hope in tennis.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Pavilionaire said:
Some people have short memories.

For all his ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, I'd rather have Henman in with a shout than the position we had 20 or so years ago when we were supposed to get excited if John Lloyd, Buster Mottram or Chris Wilkinson made into Round 3.

Henman is single-handedly flying the flag for British tennis and I don't have a bad word to say about him.

Exactly.

We have a player who is consistently in the top 10 of professional tennis.

Remember Andrew Castle? No?
Not surprising. He was all we had before the above named players.

At least we have a British player who can get to the quarters; that is a big improvement.

No I don't sit there screaming 'Come on Tim' either.

My favourite was Pat Cash and I haven't moved on since then

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Can't say I particularly dislike him but he has everything in his favour at Wimbledon. This helps his world ranking considerably. Look at the draw this year. He has to play Micky Mouse, Donald Duck, Pluto & then Phillipoussis to reach the QF. Then they (Wimbledon) cheated with the draw when the 4th seed went out injured and put in a 33rd seed in his place instead of reshuffling it. Give anyone in the top 100 a draw like that on his favourite surface and they'd get through as well. So its not the massive achievement its made out to be.

Will he win?? Who cares :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hopefully the football boys will do us proud Tomorrow and keep Wimbledon off the back pages :p :p

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I cannot stand tennis, and as long as I can walk, we will never have a champion. I will now recite a tale that may or may not astound most people.

Two players, in their teens are playing, and from what little I know are playing the game well. They are joined by two older players who challenge then to a game of doubles. the younger players leave them for dead.

The older players then ask if they would like coaching. "We can't afford it," they reply.

The senior players then ask where they come from, and on hearing, where the younger players come from, they tell the younger players to go to the council courts.

This tale I have personally seen with my own eyes at three different times. 1984, River, nr Dover. 1998, Queens Park, Brighton, and lastly 2003 Preston Park, Brighton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here