Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Henmaphobia - have you got it?

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Some group therapy for Henmaphobes. A chance to share openly what it is so many of us don't like about Timmy. I have to concede that of course he's actually a pretty good tennis player overall, but it's impossible to feel anything other than a pathological loathing for the guy. No single reason, but several contributing factors. It's not at all logical, and that only makes it even more infuriating. Damn you, Henman!

Possible reasons? And one or two counter-arguments:-

1 That name? Okay, so it's not one to have opponents cacking themselves in panic. But neither Tim nor Henman are his fault. He could opt for a gender-reassigning, more macho-sounding name like, say... Dirk Cockman.

2 His appearance? That clean, bland, 'I'm in my twenties yet somehow in my forties', not quite of this world, disciple of Cliff Richard look? Not entirely his fault. And he did try out a beard (withdrawn after hairs flatly refused to appear on that face).

3 Too rich & privileged? So are most of them. We loved McEnroe.

4 Too dull? Getting somewhere here...

(Sorry, dropped off for a moment)

5 No passion? Yess!! Except for that dubious, coach-manufactured hand-clench. A bit of umpire screaming from Timmy could help here.

6 No image? Nothing ten seconds in a broom cupboard with a Henmaniac (pref female) wouldn't fix, eh Boris?

7 No sense of humour? Just possible. Maybe if he laughed at himself, swore a bit in interviews, had a beer with the lads?

8 The Henmaniacs? Undoubtedly, but difficult to fix. Maybe he could shake them off with a 'My off-court hell of gambling, drugs and dogging' expose in the tabloids, so as to attract a different type of photogenic, raunchy, Daily Mail-free groupie.

9 "Come on Tim"? Arrrgggghhh! He must hate it as much as we do... He could stop it for good by turning around and screaming out "For f***'s sake, will you please stop shouting that? Do you think I don't want to 'come on', whatever that is? Think I might have just possibly forgottten why I've come here at all? You people make me sooo f***ing sick!"

A few for starters. Any more?

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
I like the game of tennis, and I like Tim Henman.....but he does have this remarkable ability to let everyone down, especially himself, when it comes to the Wimbledon championship!

I don't like all the geeks who wear their stupid hats to cheer on Henman (he's probably embarassed by them also), but he's put under so much pressure every year to succeed, it can't be easy for him.

I'll be cheering him on this year, although I have realised its become fashionable this year especially to knock him, most notably on the radio

Go Tim Go :)

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Strike said:
Don't worry guys I can cure you. Maybe if I meet Tim at Wimby I could get him on this board.:lolol:

There is more chance of him beating Arvind Parmar in the final.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The guy has massive pressure on him at Wimbledon, I certainly couldn't cope with the expectation and I doubt any of you who constantly knock him could either.

What irritates me most about him is that he has the ability but doesn't seem able to concentrate for more than 1 set at a time. he can look a worldbeater one set and then look like an typical English tennis loser the next.

I refuse to let him piss me off this year by conceding that there is even the smallest chance that he will win it. He is guaranteed to let me down again.

He showed remarkable guts to pull himself together at 1 set down and 5-2 down in the 2nd set tie break yesterday even if it was against someone who had never played on grass before :ohmy:

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
fatboy said:
There is more chance of him beating Arvind Parmar in the final.

But hey Fatboy I know how to meet pros after meeting Christine Janes (Truman). Anne Keithavong and Karolina Sprem. Problem is I might not go down there til the second week. I am thinking of starting the Strike therapy thread.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Strike said:
But hey Fatboy I know how to meet pros after meeting Christine Janes (Truman). Anne Keithavong and Karolina Sperm. Problem is I might not go down there til the second week. I am thinking of starting the Strike therapy thread.

Do you expect Henman to be there in the second week?

Who is Karolina Sperm?! :jester:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
To repeat what I said earlier:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Willow
Inverted snobs, the lot of ya! Henman's unquestionably the most able tennis player we've had for generations. Maybe if he grew up in a council flat in Toxteth...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is the point though isn't it? - if he'd grown up in Toxteth he'd never had made it as a player. Not many council flat tenants have their own private tennis courts like Henman's parents did.

As I said on the other thread I know I should support him but I'm afraid he really brings out the Class Warrior in me. To me he doesn't represent England, he represents wealth and privilege. If it's him against some Aussie who was bought up in the backstreets of Brisbane and learnt the game by hitting a rolled up sock with an old snowshoe I'm afraid I'm with the Aussie. Sorry again but that's just how I feel.

I don't think Henman's a choker though like some do, he just isn't the best player.

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
KAROLINA SPREM (CRO)

pronounced: ka-ro-LEE-nah shprem
Page 1 | Page 2
Residence Varazdin, Croatia
Date of Birth October 25, 1984
Birthplace Varazdin, Croatia
Height 5'8" (1.74 m)
Weight 132 1/4 lbs. (60 kg)
Plays Right-handed (two-handed backhand)
Status Pro (2001)

© Getty Images

YTD Career
WTA Tour singles titles 0 0
WTA Tour doubles titles 0 0
ITF Women's Circuit singles titles 0 7
ITF Women's Circuit doubles titles 0 1
Prize Money $206,166 $312,449
Win Loss Record - Singles 23-14 118-52
Win Loss Record - Doubles 1-3 8-9
WTA Ranking History
Season-Ending Singles 2003-59; 2002-273; 2001-717; 2000-1157
Career-High Singles No. 23 (May 17, 2004)
Career-High Doubles No. 337 (April 26, 2004)
Clothing/Equipment
Racquet:
Clothing:
Shoes:
Grand Slam (singles) History
WL 04 03 02 01 00 99 98 97 96 95 94 93 92 91 90
AUSTRALIAN OPEN 0-1 1r - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
ROLAND GARROS 0-1 1r - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
US OPEN 0-1 - 1r - - - - - - - - - - - - -
WIMBLEDON 1-1 - 2r - - - - - - - - -

She is a young rising good looking Croatian.:smokin:

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
Now then guys I will try and start to cure you guys of your fear. Does anything put you off this picture. I have magic eyes to see how you all behave when you see this image.
sp6.jpg

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
Soton Seagull said:
Middle aged screaming housewives in centre court or on 'Henman' (or as I prefer to call it 'w@nkers') Hill, just make my skin crawl.

yes.

i like tim henman, but want him to lose because of the above.

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
the full harris said:
yes.

i like tim henman, but want him to lose because of the above.

So I see it is not Tim Henman, it is middle housewives that are the problem, so this Henmanphobia is a big joke. I have wasted my time, trying my cure. because I noticed Full Harris did not move when he saw the above image.:lolol:

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
A couple of years ago whilst watching Henman on Centre court I heard something that immediately changed my opinion of Tim. Alongside the usual 'Come on Tim' some bloke shouted something that sounded like 'Go on Henman', although it sounded more like he was shouting 'John Inman'.

Now any time I see the bloke's been knocked out I can't help but utter 'I'm free!'

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
With advanced apologies to anyone called Tim.....

It's his name. It just doesn't inspire an image of sporting greatness. Tim, Timmy or Timothy belongs in Enid Blytons childrens stories, not Wimbledons Centre Court.

Anyone name a great sporting Tim ?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Some people have short memories.

For all his ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, I'd rather have Henman in with a shout than the position we had 20 or so years ago when we were supposed to get excited if John Lloyd, Buster Mottram or Chris Wilkinson made into Round 3.

Henman is single-handedly flying the flag for British tennis and I don't have a bad word to say about him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here