Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Henmania: The big debate

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
"There's nothing wrong with any of those attributes. It's just if Henman played the same tennis but had tattoos, was called Steve and hailed from Stoke, these fans wouldn't go anywhere near him."

its soooooooo true :lolol:

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Superb

The message is clear to impressionable youngsters all round the country - choose tennis ahead of football, and your groupies will look like your mum's friend Pat after she's spent the night sleeping on the pavement.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
CrabtreeBHA said:
"There's nothing wrong with any of those attributes. It's just if Henman played the same tennis but had tattoos, was called Steve and hailed from Stoke, these fans wouldn't go anywhere near him."

its soooooooo true :lolol:

Of course they'd still love him. Robbie Williams - same people who love Henman love him and he comes from Stoke and he's got tattoos, just not called Steve ;)

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Can't understand what all the fuss is about this...Tim's a great player, so people support him. (Some of us remember back to the days when John Lloyd or Jeremy Bates getting into the 3rd round was a big deal). OK, some of these fans are extremely twatty/irritating about it but I find them easily enough ignored.

Maybe he would appeal to a certain section of British society more if he was the kind to rape some foreign birds in a hotel room after downing several Flaming Lamborghinis in the dentist's chair. But thankfully he's not exactly like that.

Come on Timothy!!

(I'm off to apply my union jack face paint)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Quality stuff, both pieces are equally true.

I think that sometimes the Centre Court adoration of Henman is extremely counter-productive, and I'm not being sexist here, but. ..because the demographic of his vocal support is predominantly middle class and female the atmosphere is always very emotional and edgy, and I think this transmits through to Tim, making his own game more tentative.

I wonder whether he will ever beat anyone really decent in a big match on Centre Court because of the tense atmosphere generated by his supporters.

I honestly think the likes of Federer, Hewitt and Roddick would struggle in the big games if they had the army of wailing, shreeking, gasping and chattering fans like Henman.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
"But neither would I want to .... spend a day on the lash with cricket's Barmy Army..."

errr, why not?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here