Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Henderson Out

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Barrel of Fun said:
The amount of stick Hendo gets from the crowd is shocking.

I don't particularly condone give the players stick during the game, but I can understand why Henderson does get it, and I'll back it up with a few regular "features" of his game:

* Doesn't communicate with his defence well enough.
* Is inconsistent in coming off his line for balls played in between the defence and himself, which combined with my first point does not inspire confidence.
* Regularly flaps at crosses.
* His kicking is marginally less inconsistent than Kuipers.
* Tends to get beaten at his near post

On the plus side he distribution when throwing the ball out is good, and he seems to have cut out his habit of pushing the ball out into the legs of on-rushing attackers/backtracking defenders (which cost us several games last season). He is improving, but he is not as mustard as some people on here think he is.

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Curious Orange said:
I don't particularly condone give the players stick during the game, but I can understand why Henderson does get it, and I'll back it up with a few regular "features" of his game:

* Doesn't communicate with his defence well enough.
* Is inconsistent in coming off his line for balls played in between the defence and himself, which combined with my first point does not inspire confidence.
* Regularly flaps at crosses.
* His kicking is marginally less inconsistent than Kuipers.
* Tends to get beaten at his near post

On the plus side he distribution when throwing the ball out is good, and he seems to have cut out his habit of pushing the ball out into the legs of on-rushing attackers/backtracking defenders (which cost us several games last season). He is improving, but he is not as mustard as some people on here think he is.

Highlighted today when he threw a paddy at El Abd kicking a ball into touch that Hendo should have raced out and claimed.

I think the defence find him difficult to play with from that point of view, as the "corridor of uncertainty is that bit bigger with Hendo than with Kuipers, hence the reason why we seem to let more goals in from six yards out with Hendo in goal.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
seagull4life said:
30-40% of travelling support booed him off the pitch according to DTG

Then they're tossers. We really do seem to have some of the most fickle, disloyal fans in the game.

Anyhoo, Hendo's number one for good reason, and will rightly still be in goal against West Ham.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Are these the fans that only attend away games and give the players such wonderfull support?
And should have been the ones who got the West Ham Tickets?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Henderson HAS to be dropped after that f***-up. What the hell was he doing? I'm a Kuipers fan anyway, but if it was Kuipers who made the mistake today I wouldn't have disagreed if he was dropped.

Kuipers for the West Ham game!!

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Gutted - I'm sorry to jump on the bandwagon but today's howler was diabolical. Everyone makes mistakes but this wasn't even schoolboy stuff. It just should'nt happen. To lose to that was the pits.

I've always felt Kuipers was a bit hard done by and I think he has to be given his chance now.

The 93rd f***ing minute...aghhhhhh.......

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Schrödinger's Toad said:
Then they're tossers. We really do seem to have some of the most fickle, disloyal fans in the game.

Anyhoo, Hendo's number one for good reason, and will rightly still be in goal against West Ham.

Seems strange for someone who didn,t go to the game, to call those who DID go to the game tossers. When you get the opportunity to watch on TV , I think you might just realise what an absolute howler it was. 10 seconds to go....no need for the footwork.....he just had to pick it up.....but no....poor footwork....let the ball slip away from him....he panicked....then grabbing at fresh air....left himself laying on the ground....open goal for the forward. Absolutely unbelievable.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Schrödinger's Toad said:

You clearly weren't there today. He was shocking throughout the game.

What bugs me off is this ridiculous claim that Kuipers' distribution is so bad. Should this be the case, why does Henderson not come in for heavier criticism, as his is generally far worse. Yes, he made one save which 'kept us in the game', but it was a save I would expect most goalkeepers to make.

It's nothing to do with disloyalty, and everything to do with a lack of trust in Henderson. He has never won over the fans for making them feel secure about his goalkeeping in a way that, say, Beasant or Beeney or, yes, Kuipers has. Until that day arrives, he will always be mistrusted. And his shocking, hopeless f*** up at the end of the game only compouds the frustration reserved for a person who has yet to win the fans over.

Time for him to move over, I think.

Last edited:

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
Some good points raised here, and there were a couple of times today where he should of shouted and claimed imo, but forcing El-Abd (who had a blinder today) into kicking into touch. I am very much a Kuipers man, but the way Henderson was treated at the end today was disgusting, I was emabarassed. At the final whistle he was mortified on his line, Kerry went up to him and some of the rest of the players coaxed him into coming over to the fans and he did to his credit come and apologise. The way he was booed, well words fail me, nobody deserves that while wearing the stripes, he didn't do it on purpose and all it would of achieved was making sure he starts on Saturday. If you were one of the booers hang your head in shame.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
How is that possible?

Hendo's kicks find the target-man's head almost every time, Kuipers' are considered successful if they stay on the pitch.

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
The Large One said:
You clearly weren't there today. He was shocking throughout the game.

What bugs me off is this ridiculous claim that Kuipers' distribution is so bad. Should this be the case, why does Henderson not come in for heavier criticism, as his is generally far worse. Yes, he made one save which 'kept us in the game', but it was a save I would expect most goalkeepers to make.

It's nothing to do with disloyalty, and everything to do with a lack of trust in Henderson. He has never won over the fans for making them feel secure about his goalkeeping in a way that, say, Beasant or Beeney or, yes, Kuipers has. Until that day arrives, he will always be mistrusted. And his shocking, hopeless f*** up at the end of the game only compouds the frustration reserved for a person who has yet to win the fans over.

Somes it up rather well, although as I said the booing was way over the top, not from you I hasten to add

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Dreadful error by Henerson that did not have to happen.

Up to the manager to decide what happens but I know what I would do.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
The Large One said:

Even if any of that were true, it in no way excuses the abuse he gets - it always amuses me that Brighton fans are held up as great fans, when we so regularly treat our players like this.

I don't doubt that Kuipers is popular - and I can understand that, largely; he doubtless loves the club, and shows this when he plays. Unfortunately, this has resulted in him being portrayed as a far more capable keeper than he actually is. How many years is it since he's really been number one? You've got to go back to Hinshelwood to find the last manager who regarded him as such. But clearly, the fans know better, and were doubtless completely right to boo off one of our players for making a mistake. Makes you proud.

Last edited:

1066gull

You fickle bunch of football supporters who booed him today (if you did so).

Only two days ago, Henderson saved a penalty, and it was the defence, like it has been for a few games who have been at fault - not the goalkeeper.

Go take it up Kuipers arse if you like him so much, and stop taking the slightest thing to jeer a player.:angry: :angry: :angry:

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Back from game.................wet, cold ..........me mates kept farting revolting plumes of gas every 2 minutes on the way home....only had three hours sleep last night and the Goalie i have always preffered in goal over the Dutch Legend makes the biggest blunder i have ever seen by a Goalie which cost us a hard earned point and humiliated us in front of the goading Bornmuffff fans.

Having said that he made some good saves and kept us in the game untill that dreadfull 93rd minute blunder!! Nice to see the team run to him to console him and lead him to aplaud the Albion fans..........I would'nt say 40% booed him, many clapped in sympathy but many were rightly angry........it was just a sad and sorrry sight, he looked broken to me..................................I wish someone would offer us £400 000 in the transfer window so we had to sell no-one else!!

GUTTED:down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here