Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

henderson in ireland squad

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Rougvie said:
EXCELLENT news.

Have we had more capped IRISH players than ENGLISH players whilst at the club ??
#

As far as I can remember we've only ever had Steve Foster in the England squad. Irish internationals I can remember are Gerry Armstrong, John Byrne, Steve Penny(?). Cant think of any more off the top of my head.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Stinky Kat said:
I think DK has done some good business here and Wayne will be going the way Darren Currie went.

As an international the 20-30k we spent will become 300k in a year or 2 when Ipswich or Boro need a keeper.

Couldn't agree more I think that was the thinking behind buying him either or. Either we stay up and he will be an asset or we get relegated and we can sell him and make money.

Last edited:

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
I personally dont see why everyone is raving about him.

Wasnt Kuipers dropped after conceding too many goals in too few games?
Well surely thats no worse than Hendo's record?

Anyway,im just making a point,i think he's a good keeper and well done for getting in the Ireland squad.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
chez said:
#

As far as I can remember we've only ever had Steve Foster in the England squad. Irish internationals I can remember are Gerry Armstrong, Steve Penny, John Byrne, Steve Penny(?)

Remember a bloke called Ward ? Mark Lawrenceson was in the Eire squad and wan't Gerry Ryan ? Willie Irvine played for Northern Ireland and scored the winner against England at Wembley. I'm sure there were others too. Peter O'Sullivan had a run out for Wales didn't he ?

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
chez said:
#

As far as I can remember we've only ever had Steve Foster in the England squad. Irish internationals I can remember are Gerry Armstrong, John Byrne, Steve Penny(?). Cant think of any more off the top of my head.

Gerry Ryan, Mark Lawrenson, Michael Robinson for the Republic, Sammy Nelson for Northern Ireland.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
chez said:
#

Jimmy Langley played for England but I am not sure if he was still with us or had left for QPR.

In the 60s we signed Bobby Smith from Spurs having played for England in March we signed him 5 months later for reputedly £5,000 plus pay off his gambling debts.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
bhaexpress said:
Remember a bloke called Ward ? Mark Lawrenceson was in the Eire squad and wan't Gerry Ryan ? Willie Irvine played for Northern Ireland and scored the winner against England at Wembley. I'm sure there were others too. Peter O'Sullivan had a run out for Wales didn't he ?

Wardy was never in the England squad was he? I know he scored a hatrick for the under 21's but I never thought he made it to the first team. Thought I'd mentioned Gerry Ryan but had forgotten about Lawro, mind you he never seems to remember playing for us so why should we !! :D

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
junior said:
I personally dont see why everyone is raving about him.

Wasnt Kuipers dropped after conceding too many goals in too few games?
Well surely thats no worse than Hendo's record?

Anyway,im just making a point,i think he's a good keeper and well done for getting in the Ireland squad.

Nope dropped for his poor distribution

And lets face it has always been the weak spot of Michels game

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
_wilka_ said:
:salute:

Always a ray of f***ing sunshine aren't you!

I am sure that most of you either do not realise or do not want to realise how near we are to bankruptcy.

This club could fold at any time if we upset one creditor. Why do you think all the players have been sold and virtually nobody brought in.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=364177&CPID=219&clid=&lid=554&title=Lawrence+gets+Irish+call

Sunderland's Liam Lawrence and Manchester City's Stephen Ireland have won their first call-ups to the Republic of Ireland squad.

New Ireland boss Steve Staunton has included the duo his first squad for next month's friendly with Sweden.

Lawrence qualifies for Ireland through his grandparents and he has decided to pledge his allegiance to Staunton's side.

Manchester City youngster Ireland fell out of the reckoning under former boss Brian Kerr, but he has been given the chance to impress under Staunton.

Tottenham defender Stephen Kelly, Bolton defender Joey O'Brien, Leeds midfielder Jonathan Douglas and Brighton goalkeeper Wayne Henderson have all been promoted from the Under-21 squad.

Full squad:
Given (Newcastle), Kenny (Sheff Utd), Henderson (Brighton), Breen (Sunderland), Harte (Levante), Finnan (Liverpool), A O'Brien (Portsmouth), Dunne (Man City), Miller (Leeds), Kilbane (Everton), Reid (Blackburn), Duff (Chelsea), Keane (Tottenham), Morrison (Crystal Palace), Kavanagh (Wigan), Doyle (Reading), Ireland (Man City), Elliott (Sunderland), Lawrence (Sunderland), J O'Brien (Bolton), Kelly (Tottenham), O'Shea (Man Utd), Douglas (Leeds).

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
chez said:
Wardy was never in the England squad was he? I know he scored a hatrick for the under 21's but I never thought he made it to the first team. Thought I'd mentioned Gerry Ryan but had forgotten about Lawro, mind you he never seems to remember playing for us so why should we !! :D

Played against Australia in 1980.

Tony Grealish was captain for Eire for a while. Also, Kieran O'Regan and Gary Howlett played for Eire.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
BensGrandad said:
I am sure that most of you either do not realise or do not want to realise how near we are to bankruptcy.

This club could fold at any time if we upset one creditor. Why do you think all the players have been sold and virtually nobody brought in.
:yawn:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
At the Goldstone they had a board with a list of all internationls that Brighton players appreared in and if my memory serves me well Gery Ryan received the most caps whilst playing for Brighton.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
BensGrandad said:

:thud: :thud:

Oh we have some financial problems do we..... I hadn't noticed!

I just thought the club sent out begging letters last season to fill Dick Knights pockets!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here