Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help solve two arguments!

Ken Livingstone Seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Maui, Hawaii
So it involves having 2 Police forces turn up at the same time to investigate the incident, take statements, etc.?.. (one from each of the areas / towns/ counties / countries that the teams each represent) and deciding which FA will hold the hearing?

I like your thinking, Mr Fawkes, I like it a lot. But no, not as such.

And Super, GK is also incorrect. #AsktheColonialRef

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Because someone had planted a nuclear bomb on the ship and he was the only person capable of defusing it to stop it blowing up the world so he stayed on to try and save the world.

I thought i'd already answered that above.

If he can't leave without others dying (bomb will explode and kill him and probably everyone else too, how is it suicide if the choices are death or death? - his decision to stay and try to defuse the bomb would be the choice available to him that gives him the best chance of survival (preventing the explosion = increased chance of rescue and his survival vs trying to survive a nuclear explosion)

The question then would be that if he ordered a sub ordinate to stay and prevent the bomb exploding whilst he escapes, would that be murder / manslaughter?

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I thought i'd already answered that above.

If he can't leave without others dying (bomb will explode and kill him and probably everyone else too, how is it suicide if the choices are death or death? - his decision to stay and try to defuse the bomb would be the choice available to him that gives him the best chance of survival (preventing the explosion = increased chance of rescue and his survival vs trying to survive a nuclear explosion)

The question then would be that if he ordered a sub ordinate to stay and prevent the bomb exploding whilst he escapes, would that be murder / manslaughter?
I'm saying it's NOT suicide anyway unless obviously he can easily escape and save others but that kind of goes without saying. If he ordered someone to stay on it could be murder but then it could be murder AND suicide because the world blows up.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
What if someone on a ship in international waters shot someone on a ship in another country's waters?

What if someone on the ISS kills someone from another nation?

What if Leon Best scored a goal?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
What if someone from one country shot someone from a different country whilst they were both on a space walk from different space craft at the same time whilst in high Earth orbit in space? - (and who would go up there to dust for prints, photograph the scene, recover the weapon used, etc)

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
What if someone from one country shot someone from a different country whilst they were both on a space walk from different space craft at the same time whilst in high Earth orbit in space? - (and who would go up there to dust for prints, photograph the scene, recover the weapon used, etc)
what if he went down with the ship knowing he was going to drown but preferred to do that than have a 2.37% only chance of survival if he got on raft and a 98.7356% of being eaten alive by sharks.

Dec 15, 2014
Here
On one, if it is an either or question , then for me the country where the man is shot

Yes, simple. Where did the crime happen? The crime is perpetrated against a victim. The crime happens where the victim is located at the time of the crime.

The Swedish/Danish movie "Bron/Broen" was about a body cut in half (at the time the crime was discovered that was believed) with half on the Swedish side of the Oresund Bridge and half on the Danish side.of the bridge. There are international laws that govern this with the head and upper torso being the parts of the body that determine where the body is located. If those are separated then the upper torso. If the body is torn into smaller pieces then the parts of the body are weighed and the country with the biggest portion is where the crime was committed. Most countries will work together to solve the crime with the police body having the jurisdiction in their country.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Argument one is:

Two men standing in two different countries, but the countries are next to each other, one man shoots across the boarder and kills the man, both police forces from both countries arrive at the same time, who takes charge of the investigation, and in which country is the man put on trial in?

Was he aiming at the boarder? Or was the boarder lying down on the border? Did he shoot across the boarder and kill him? Hmmm, the plot takes a twist.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Yes, simple. Where did the crime happen? The crime is perpetrated against a victim. The crime happens where the victim is located at the time of the crime.

The Swedish/Danish movie "Bron/Broen" was about a body cut in half (at the time the crime was discovered that was believed) with half on the Swedish side of the Oresund Bridge and half on the Danish side.of the bridge. There are international laws that govern this with the head and upper torso being the parts of the body that determine where the body is located. If those are separated then the upper torso. If the body is torn into smaller pieces then the parts of the body are weighed and the country with the biggest portion is where the crime was committed. Most countries will work together to solve the crime with the police body having the jurisdiction in their country.

:lol: crikey

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I'm saying it's NOT suicide anyway unless obviously he can easily escape and save others but that kind of goes without saying. If he ordered someone to stay on it could be murder but then it could be murder AND suicide because the world blows up.

Why would it be suicide? - He didn't plant the nuclear bomb on his vessel and activate it, he is reacting to the situation and trying to stop it from going off - there is no way that can be interpreted as suicide unless he made / planted the bomb, and set it off when he could have easily deactivated it (knowning it would explode and kill him. An innocent victim unintentionally being caught up in a blast and killed can't be described a suicide)

You are trying to claim something similar to being in a house that is bombed by an aircraft and you get killed as suicide - if you knew it was going to be bombed and refused to leave to get to safety and you could easily have survived but chose not to, then it's suicide. If you were unaware or couldn't do anything to prevent your death then it's not suicide (so if he was trying to wave off the attck or show that they surrender in this case but they are still bombed and killed, it's not his fault that he was killed as he didn't act in a way to deliberately bring about his own death when there was an easy way to avoid it)

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
A person whose nationality is from country x puts a timed bomb on a plane in an airport in country y, this plane happens to be the national airline of country z and all of the people on that plane come from country z.

5 hours later in the middle of the pacific ocean the bomb explodes and all on 450 people on board die....which country tries the bomber?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Why would he shoot across the boarder? What has a person at boarding school got to do with it? And why shoot "across" him/her?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
A person whose nationality is from country x puts a timed bomb on a plane in an airport in country y, this plane happens to be the national airline of country z and all of the people on that plane come from country z.

5 hours later in the middle of the pacific ocean the bomb explodes and all on 450 people on board die....which country tries the bomber?

Potentially any country where cannibalism still occurs i guess. Maybe they will have him with some fava beans and a nice chianti to wash him down

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Potentially any country where cannibalism still occurs i guess. Maybe they will have him with some fava beans and a nice chianti to wash him down
What if they find out the dead bloke was a mass murderer they's been tearing to track down, would it still be murder punishable by the law or would he get a reward.

kjgood

My View

Argument 1:

Investigation and potential charges both sides of the border;

The side where the firearm was discharched could raise charges under the banner of dangerously discharging a weapon, intent to cause injury or loss of life, public disorder, maybe illegal possession of weapon, ammunition etc etc. or depending on the relationship between the two states give the person a medal and pension

The side where the person was killed everything from murder downwards, and then start a war.

Argument 2:

Could be any of the following:

Stupidity
Negligence
Suicide
Sense of duty of a Captain

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
No 1. Crime is the responsibility of the country it was committed in.

No 2. Not suicide and not so much tradition but more of a responsibility to make sure his crew and passengers are safe first.
Very few Captains I imagine would go down with their ship nowadays , if they can save themselves after everyone else is off,
utterly pointless.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here