Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help please, I've eaten some out-of-date meat!

I cooked and ate about 100g of lamb shank this morning before realising it was several days out of date, but it was lovely! So, I'm planning on scoffing the other 200g this evening if there are no ill affects. My question is, how many hours should I wait to ensure this morning's meal didn't poison me? The meat is currrently being kept at 2 degrees C.

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
It probably didn't poison you. Expiry dates are the absolute minimum that it could expire by. Generally you get much longer.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
.....also I think you'd have felt the effects by now!

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Personally, I think you are "Dead meat walking". Just make sure the will and paperwork's all up to date.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's been 9 minutes since the OP, is this guy dead yet?

If it doesn't smell bad or look totally the wrong colour, it's good.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Might be wise to zap it in the microwave later but I'm sure being a few days out of date if its been stored properly is nothing to worry about.

If the meat wasn't honking, stinking of rotten-ness to high heaven - then the chances are it's okay.

On the subject though, I once bought a leg of NZ lamb that tasted really odd.... then I realised it was contaminated by the animal's adrenaline.
That made me realise that the particular lamb had probably died in terrible fear, or hadn't been properly slaughtered and may have experienced more suffering than normal.
This was a sad thought, but I had to return the meat to the supermarket and tell them why it was bad. They made no issues about it and immediately refunded the cost.
However, it made me think about mass-marketed meat.

I don't eat veal, because of the sad non-life of the young animal. To my mind, it's a crime for any animal to suffer this, for a texture or taste in our mouths.
Not important enough for the animals to be treated so awfully.

I encourage anyone reading this to at least know about and think about the fate of calves that are born to end up as 'veal'.

I don't eat veal, because of the sad non-life of the young animal.
So what do you think happens to male calves that are not kept for veal? It's not economic to grow them for beef unless they are also producing milk (I shunned veal until I realised this.)
If you are talking about veal crates, then yes, that is disgusting and the EU should ban them.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I don't eat veal, because of the sad non-life of the young animal.

So, you'd rather all male calves are shot within a day or two of being born then, instead of living some sort of life, even if it is rather short. You have to do something with the males - they don't breed all milkers you know. There's nothing at all wrong with eating properly raised veal, and British veal is perfectly fine.

.....also I think you'd have felt the effects by now!
Proper food poisoning takes about 24hrs to come out.
These two replies are completely at odds! If the latter is true, then how many hours would it take for the first symptoms to arrive?
I think I'd better have something else this evening and have the lamb for Sunday lunch.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
ate some eggs last night some 3 weeks out of date,not kept in the fridge,must admit wondered how i would feel when i woke up this morning,but fine,washed down with a bottle of red probably helped

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Had food poisoning (if that's what it's called) twice as i can recall in my whole life,once when i was about 10,although this could have been anything i suppose-

anyway

BRACE YOURSELF NOTT'S!!!!

About 10 years ago i cooked and ate some sausages they tasted divine,now this was about 5 o'clock one Saturday evening.
I was sharing a flat at the time with a mate,who had gone away for the evening and i was all alone,the evening went well and i think i was playing the play station and watching tv etc.

As i recall my mate had a phone in the flat but it was locked to me to use as i could run up a large bill? mates eh? anyway..it did not matter as i had a pay as you go mobile,however little did i realise the credit of less than a pound would be a life saver earlier that following morning.

Time went by and i decided to call it an night,say midnight i can't recall and so of i went to bed.

About 3 hours later i had to go to toilet,urgently....ok i thought

Within the hour i had been in the toilet up to 10 times and it was flowing out of me,but then i started to feel faint and dizzy,and pardon the pun but then i started to shit myself-WTF is happening????

Things got worse,i tried drinking water and then i phoned my old man,he told me to drink water and sugar?
We had no sugar in the flat!!!!!
Things seemed to be ok for a while,then it all happened again,only this time only water was coming out of my ARSE & MOUTH and i was on the toilet with the washing up bowl in hands(shit i thought) but by this time i only had nearly no credit,called my mate-Help dying not a joke need sugar,how long will you be-30 mins was the reply-this was about 5 in the morning and he'd been out clubbing.

Sugar apparently was what my body needed as all the energy and sugars were sapped from my body.

THE SAUSAGES WERE 7 DAYS OUT OF DATE!!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here