Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

help on a disagreement at work

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Celtic and Rangers have got the crowds and if they got into the Premier league they'd get the money too. I am assuming that the Scottish Premier League get a pittance in comparison and yet they still get some quality players. They'd definitely both be around the top six mostly because of their size and the money that would generate.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I vote a European super league. It would end the travesty that is the Champions league and boost interest in domestic leagues. I would also put caps on the number of foreign players and improve youth areas in the domestic league.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I vote a European super league. It would end the travesty that is the Champions league and boost interest in domestic leagues.
How so? ??? I'd have thought if you lose the biggest clubs from each domestic league it would damage interest even further.

Also the Champions League is only a G14 money making operation, but how would a League set up be different?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
How so? ??? I'd have thought if you lose the biggest clubs from each domestic league it would damage interest even further.

Also the Champions League is only a G14 money making operation, but how would a League set up be different?

I dunno, was just thinking out loud really.

If you had a Euro Super League then the winners of that loeague is definately the winners of Europe for a start.

If you played the Euro matchs on a Saturday or a Sunday and the domestic matches on the other day then more people with probably take an interest in the domestic games. Say if Lancashire lost Man U and Liverpool from the domestic league more people would probably go and watch Bolton, Wigan, Everton, Man City, Oldham, Stockport, Tranmere, Blackpool etc... similar thing could happen to London. The big teams are fighting for the ultimate crown so the top end of the domestic leagues could see renewed interest due to being able to get into the elite tier. For teams lower down it would be good because they will accept not getting into the Euro League but will be hoping to do better on the domestic front as they are now on more of an even level.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Why don't you have a look at Celtics Champions league results over the last 10 years, that should be proof enough !!!

Proof enough that they aren't very good, you mean? Since the group stage was introduced in 1993, they've reached the second round a grand total of once. Results since 1999 (they failed to qualify in 1997 & 1998):

1st Qualifying Round - St Patricks Athletic 0-0, 2-0 (2-0)
2nd Qualifying Round - Croatia Zagreb 1-0, 0-3 (1-3)

3rd Qualifying Round - Ajax 3-1, 0-1 (3-2)
1st Round Group
Juventus 2-3, 4-3
Porto 1-0, 0-3
Rosenborg 1-0, 0-2 (3rd place)

3rd Qualifying Round - Basel 3-1, 0-2 (3-3) lost on away goals

2nd Qualifying Round - Kaunas 4-0, 1-0 (5-0)
3rd Qualifying Round - MTK Budapest 4-0, 1-0 (5-0)
1st Round Group
Bayern Munich 1-2, 0-0
Lyon 2-0, 2-3
Anderlecht 0-1, 3-1 (3rd Place)

1st Round Group
Barcelona 1-3, 1-1
AC Milan 1-3, 0-0
Shakhtar Donetsk 0-3, 1-0 (4th place)

2nd Qualifying Round - Artmedia 0-5, 4-0 (4-5)

1st Round Group
Manchester United 2-3, 1-0
FC Copenhagen 1-0, 1-3
Benfica 3-0, 0-3 (2nd place)
2nd Round - Milan 0-0, 0-1 (0-1)

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Having a Super League would surely just increase the gap between the top few clubs and the ones on the fringe. All the decent players would go to the teams in the Super League along with all the money no doubt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here