5. Napier (J)
6. Templeman
7. Wilkinson
8. Flood
9. Napier (K)
10. Whitington
11. Tawse
12. Bence (not used)

Do you have the details for the same fixture the following season (mid-Jan, I think) - my first ever match. Thanks.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
11 Jan 1969

Brighton 1-1 Stockport

Att 10645

1 Powney B
2 Templeman J
3 Henderson S
4 Lawton N
5 Napier J
6 Sir Norm
7 Wilkinson H
8 Napier K
9 Dawson A
10 Spearitt E

HT 0-0
Albion Scorer Kit Napier, we finished trhe day 20th in D3.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
And No 11, Tawse?

I remember that game, County had a rather smart orange kit with a broad white hoop around the chest.

And No 11, Tawse?

I remember that game, County had a rather smart orange kit with a broad white hoop around the chest.

I don't remember that, in fact I didn't even notice Stockport had scored (nobody cheered!), and thought we had won 1-0 until my brother told me otherwise at the end! Can you remember who equalised, and how would you account for the large discrepancy between the two "gates"?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
The 1st game was in may so probably last fixture and pretty meaningless.

The 2nd game was in january. Freddie goodwin had taken over as manager about a month or 2 before and Albion had started to show signs of life. Without referring to any records, i think we had just beaten Reading 2-0 and bournemouth 4-1 in our previous home games and we had a new star in Alex Dawson so crowds were starting to come back. Such was the mood that this draw, against a much higher placed County, was seen as a dissapointment.

I also believe the game was also on Souther Soccer, the ITV footie show that could make any game seem dull and it was a rare Albion game breaking the monotony of Saints & Pompey. (Saints always had bald players, like Melia and Pompey had thay brylcreamed slime ball Perry Milkins in goal. Isn't it strange what the old mind retains?)

I also think that Stockport had Alec Young on their books but he didn't play. I don't know much about him other than he was an Everton star and was possibly nicknamed the Golden Vision.

Happy daze!

. Such was the mood that this draw, against a much higher placed County, was seen as a dissapointment.
Happy daze!

It was certainly a dissapointment to me, I thought we had won! Actually I am now having serious doubts as to whether this was my first match. I was on the East Terrace (it was the cheapest at 2/-), but have no recollection of the scaffolding tower they used to erect there for TV cameras. At that age, I'm pretty sure I would have remembered being at something as exciting as a televised outside broadcast (younger readers, this was the 1960s!). Is there any way you can ascertain if this match definately was or definately wasn't televised? This is important for me with the 40th anniversary of this life-changing event looming.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
It was certainly a dissapointment to me, I thought we had won! Actually I am now having serious doubts as to whether this was my first match. I was on the East Terrace (it was the cheapest at 2/-), but have no recollection of the scaffolding tower they used to erect there for TV cameras. At that age, I'm pretty sure I would have remembered being at something as exciting as a televised outside broadcast (younger readers, this was the 1960s!). Is there any way you can ascertain if this match definately was or definately wasn't televised? This is important for me with the 40th anniversary of this life-changing event looming.

Fear not, dear notts. Back in those days of cheap old Southern television, the camera was in the West Stand, probably hand held!

Fear not, dear notts. Back in those days of cheap old Southern television, the camera was in the West Stand, probably hand held!

Was Fred Dinneage doing the footy by then or still just on "HOW" with Jack Hargreaves, Bunty and ??
That would mean he's been inflicted on us for nearly 40 years.:ohmy:

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
The 1st game was in may so probably last fixture and pretty meaningless.

The 2nd game was in january. Freddie goodwin had taken over as manager about a month or 2 before and Albion had started to show signs of life. Without referring to any records, i think we had just beaten Reading 2-0 and bournemouth 4-1 in our previous home games and we had a new star in Alex Dawson so crowds were starting to come back. Such was the mood that this draw, against a much higher placed County, was seen as a dissapointment.

I also believe the game was also on Souther Soccer, the ITV footie show that could make any game seem dull and it was a rare Albion game breaking the monotony of Saints & Pompey. (Saints always had bald players, like Melia and Pompey had thay brylcreamed slime ball Perry Milkins in goal. Isn't it strange what the old mind retains?)

I also think that Stockport had Alec Young on their books but he didn't play. I don't know much about him other than he was an Everton star and was possibly nicknamed the Golden Vision.

Happy daze!

Alec Young did play in that game - he scored their 88th minute equaliser!

Tucked into my programme from that game is a cutting from 'Monday Commentary by John Vinicombe' in The Argus. Some interesting comments, bearing in mind the late goals we have been conceding recently. Some things just don't change over 40 years!

"Albion's lack of know-how, the almost total disregard for for elementary professionalism, is now frankly disturbing.

Stockport's 88th minute equaliser was the fourth time in the last seven matches that Albion have conceded a late goal. the cost? Three precious points that would now see them mid-table.

This fatal relaxing is is revealed as a serious flaw in the entire make-up of the side. Instead of retaining possession with the game nearly over, players indulge in all sorts of extraordinary liberties.

Competent sides like Stockport don't need a second invitation to help themselves.

Just look what happened with the final whistle only two minutes away. Howard Wilkinson, who had grafted hard in midfield was clear, half-way inside Albion's half. Charlie Livesey, 73rd minute substitute for Brian Tawse, was already in an offside position. Wilkinson hit a long ball for him and the result was Stockport getting a free ball.

Within seconds it was in the back of Albion's net, propelled by the twinkling right foot of Alex Young when ex-Generals Geoff Sidebottom and Barrie Wright were slow to realise the danger."

And there was me thinking I was the only person who remembers this game! Yet I'm still not convinced it actually was my "debut" - I'm sure my (elder) brother would have pointed out the possibility of me being on TV the following day (of which I also have no memory). Was it the standard Southern Soccer programme that occasionally replaced The Big Match, or would they have gone to the expense (in those days) of covering the match just to show the goals?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here