Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help my son with his Latin homework

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I hated Latin. I wonder if Colbournes son still has to read from silly little orange books with Cacellus and his family in Pompeii.

I honestly thought that Latin would have been phased out of secondary education by now.

And the poor youngster in question could add that the building on the Everton badge is the first Liverpool prison to his teacher. The building still stand at Walton Gate. A fact that the teacher who on his fag break set the homework, did not find whilst raeding The Guardian.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's scarcely true to say that Latin is for posh kids. I'm a state-educated oik from Moulsecoomb but I have a Latin O Level.

As I said on a previous thread, I learned huge amounts of grammar from Latin, at a time when schools were reluctant to teach English grammar. It's a great subject for teaching how to use words properly.

When I got my first job in journalism, my boss told me that the reason he'd employed me was that I had a Latin O Level and I was the only candidate who had. He said that it meant that I would be able to write in proper sentences.

This was sound advice: as a boss, I have done dozens and dozens of job interviews and if I see someone with a Latin GCSE, then I will interview him or her. It's not a guarantee of a job, but it's a huge plus mark.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Gwylan. Not having any offspring, at the age of 36, it was a long time ago that I went to school. I was simply surprised that Latin is still taught.

Just as a sideline. On interviewing student nurses, we are lucky to find one with a GCSE in biology. Even then that guarantees nothing!
:lolol:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
..... it's killing me.

I agree with Gwylan, it's a great way of understanding how modern latin-based languages (English, French etc) actually work.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
having said all that, to sing in latin is just wonderful.

All the great Requiems are in Latin, Mozart, Bach, Verdi, faure and people have tried to translate them( Rutter for example) but English just doesn't seem right.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
I think it's a pity that so few people these days seem to value just studying stuff because it's interesting.

Not so much a pity - more a disgrace. The idea that education should be about utility is a leading factor in the continuing degradation of society. Thatcher through to Blair, the refrain is the same. Arseholes.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
Dave the Gaffer - at last the voice of sense amongst the heathens.

I was privately educated and I agree the standard of teaching is no better than in the state system.

However Private schools do provide some things that are impossible to find in a state school.

smaller classes, far superior facilities, sporting and academic. A belief that you are destined to succeed in life is drummed in to you. In some people in my year, this attitude drove them to excell, in some it drove them to become obnoxious, spoilt crass oiks - the image that so many people label the public school boy with.

I believe that in the private sector, home life has a huge bearing on how you treat school and what it teaches you, as with parents who are grounded sensible indoviduals, the private system compliments the student.

with parents who are self-important pillocks who sent their kid to public school simply because they could afford it, well it churns out a complete tit at the end of 6 years.

Don't knock Latin, reek etc as I stududed them until A level, and they provide not only an absorbing grasp of history itself, but also enables you to conquer any language reasonably quickly as you understand the grammatical structure of langiage to a far greater degree having studied Latin or Greek.

German for instance. So many kids at school complain how hard it is as you have to conjugate using Nominative, Accusative etc with der, die, das.

With a basic grasp of Latin, this is a complete doddle.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Amo
Amas
Amat
Amamus
Amatis
Amant

Or something like that … it’s about all I remember from 1st year Latin. I was so bad at it I was allowed to drop it in the 2nd year!

So no help here .. sorry

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Mr Watson was the BWOY!

You had Winker Watson! He taught me at Varndean. I'd heard he'd gone to Stringer.

What a great teacher he was - one of the few highspots of going to school.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here