Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help! My enthusiasm is waning.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I know exactly how you feel, coz i echo some of your sentiments, i personally feel that some of the "attachment" to the ALB has somehow dissapeared, i dont know why i feel like i do because i LUV the AMEX and having a drink or three b4 games, but i do feel its not our own club anymore. I remember a Boxing day at Barnet many years ago was freezing cold was cuddling my 2 sons 2 keep them warm wen HARTY scored the only goal, cherished memories ???

I know what you and the OP mean. Not a case of moaning, because we have a magnificent stadium, a great chairman and manager - but I do definitely feel a bit 'detached' this season.

I've thought about this quite a lot, and as well as the loss of the 'underdog' factor, I think it's because it feels too much like a new club - I don't even recognise other fans these days, whereas it used to be the same old familiar faces. Perhaps we haven't got used to it yet...? I think what we really need is a few special moments at the Amex - a last minute winner to get in to the play-offs or whatever. I'm sure it'll come back, anyway.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I know what you and the OP mean. Not a case of moaning, because we have a magnificent stadium, a great chairman and manager - but I do definitely feel a bit 'detached' this season.

I've thought about this quite a lot, and as well as the loss of the 'underdog' factor, I think it's because it feels too much like a new club - I don't even recognise other fans these days, whereas it used to be the same old familiar faces. Perhaps we haven't got used to it yet...? I think what we really need is a few special moments at the Amex - a last minute winner to get in to the play-offs or whatever. I'm sure it'll come back, anyway.

It's good to know that a few people understand what I'm saying, while others are of such low intelligence that they can only hurl insults.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's good to know that a few people understand what I'm saying, while others are of such low intelligence that they can only hurl insults.

What kevo has posted isn't what you said but probably meant. The Amex is very new and there are lot of fans we don't recognise but that is a good thing. History takes time to build but we are already building memories there, good and bad, including the last gasp winner against Donny in our first league game and the dastardly Pal*ce beating us 3-1. It just takes time to adjust but we'll get there.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
It still doesnt feel like a home game. Arsenal fans that I know (who go) have said it tiook them a good two years to get used it !!

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford

People hurl insults for all sorts of reasons. Low intelligence may be amongst them. But, many may just be pissed off by the current plethora of depressing threads on here.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Get to the pub for 12 ish, meet up with all my mates, new and old and cheer The Albion on to our biggest win of the season.

See I`m over last saturday already.

No waning here (sic)

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I will never lose my passion for Albion, nice to see them win but if they lose they lose wont stop me renewing my season ticket and showing my enormous gut off when they score again next season !!
Does this mean i'm a partial streaker !!!
KEEP THE FAITH !!!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
People hurl insults for all sorts of reasons. Low intelligence may be amongst them. But, many may just be pissed off by the current plethora of depressing threads on here.
Indeed. However I know there ARE people (because they've said so on here) who don't like the fact the club has changed and DO hanker after the good old days when we were a Noddy little outfit without a pot to piss in playing in front of 5500 crowds at Withdean. I personally find that attitude incomprehensible, but it 'takes all sorts' as they say.

EDIT: That's not to say I'm 100% enamoured with every aspect of our new situation. For example like the OP I too can't stand the pre-match build up. But others do, and anyway I LOVE drinking beer and eating pies so I do that instead.

EDIT 2: And despite the OP's protest to the contrary I'm sure if we'd carried on our early season form and were nine points clear at the top this thread wouldn't have appeared.

Last edited:

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
I know exactly how you feel, coz i echo some of your sentiments, i personally feel that some of the "attachment" to the ALB has somehow dissapeared, i dont know why i feel like i do because i LUV the AMEX and having a drink or three b4 games, but i do feel its not our own club anymore. I remember a Boxing day at Barnet many years ago was freezing cold was cuddling my 2 sons 2 keep them warm wen HARTY scored the only goal, cherished memories ???
you ought to post a lot, LOT more, not that i read much of what you post....i just LOVE looking at your avatar
:love:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Having three star player sicknotes is getting really frustrating, and it's disappointing to see KLL just left on the bench every game. I admit to feeling a little short changed when I see the team sheet these days :shrug:

We've had it too good for a season and a bit

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Get to the pub for 12 ish, meet up with all my mates, new and old and cheer The Albion on to our biggest win of the season.

See I`m over last saturday already.

No waning here (sic)

You'll be at liberty to attend will you?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Are you sure that's not just an East Stand thing Kev, as it seems like the same old chumps in the West Upper?
Very probably. I may move next season!

Richard Reynold's Haircut

grammatically poor
Oct 3, 2011
Peacehaven
For the first time ever I am just not feeling the same enthusiasm for my beloved Brighton and Hove Albion as I have in the past.

Not sure that I can exactly put my finger on the reason why. It's probably a combination of a number of factors:
- It was always special to be supporting the underdog. The little team that could. The hard-done-by team with the crappy stadium. Now suddenly we're a big club with a big stadium and a Chairman with money.
- I certainly felt more connection with the team when sitting out in the elements at Withdean (and prior to that at the Goldstone) than I do in the upper reaches of the West Stand. Great stadium, great view of the game, but just not as close to the action.
- I really don't like the attempt to drum up an atmosphere before the games at the Amex by that guy with the microphone. All very plastic. Much preferred the guys we had on the PA at Withdean. They really seemed to be part of us the supporters. The new guy is more like a paid outsider.
- I am having trouble relating to the players this season. Maybe because I'm sitting too far away from the action. Maybe because we don't have a settled team and some of the new faces have hardly started a game even though we're more than a third of the way through the season.
- We don't seem to have the same characters in the team as in the past. Craig Noone is probably the only one who fits the bill. No players in the mold of Harty, FDM, Charlie, Chippie.
- And of course I'm frustrated with the recent string of results. I don't mind us losing when we've put in 100% effort as a team, but that just doesn't appear to be happening this season. We don't have the required level of passion on the pitch IMHO.
- Plus the lack of shots on goal is driving me mad. How can we go a whole game (on more than one occasion) with no shots on target? How can we possibly expect to win any games if we play like that?
- And finally I'm really really pissed off about us letting Murray go. I thought at the time it was a bad decision. Now I know it was a very very bad decision.

I'm sure my enthusiasm will return to its previous levels in due course. Maybe it's a transition thing.

Anyone else feeling the same way?

So you got a ticket in the West Stand Upper, and have now decided you're too far away from the action? Only got yourself to blame there.

You don't like the undoubtedly successful attempts to drum up an atmosphere? As opposed to? Listening to Never Fallen in Love by the Buzzcocks for the 50th game in the row whilst sitting in the pissing rain at Withdean watching Chris Holroyd stretching in? And then Paul Samrah screaming at people to get off the pitch when we've just been promoted? Now we're being encouraged to be enthusiastic and you don't like it?!

Trouble relating to the players? What does that actually mean?

No characters? Well, do many TOP sides? Really? You tend to get them in the lower leagues, the triers with a bit of personality. But to cut it at the top, you need class above character.

No passion? Not trying hard enough? We've got the worse discipline in the league, and probably the most energetic player in the league!

So basically, your only valid points are that you're pissed off Murray left (yeah, we all are frustrating watching CMS missing a proper partner), but that's not going to change unless we sign a striker of similar style/ability) and that we've not been shooting enough lately (again, we all are). Your other attitudes are, basically, complete nonsense.

Still don't think we'd all be this negative if it wasn't for that way we let Palace humiliate us. A disgusting and humiliating performance, and one that this season still hasn't recovered from, causing misery guts all over the place. We're playing in an amazing stadium in a league with brilliant players. Yeah, current form is a pain in the arse, but what's the point if you can't be at all enthusiastic watching us play now?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
So you got a ticket in the West Stand Upper, and have now decided you're too far away from the action? Only got yourself to blame there.

You don't like the undoubtedly successful attempts to drum up an atmosphere? As opposed to? Listening to Never Fallen in Love by the Buzzcocks for the 50th game in the row whilst sitting in the pissing rain at Withdean watching Chris Holroyd stretching in? And then Paul Samrah screaming at people to get off the pitch when we've just been promoted? Now we're being encouraged to be enthusiastic and you don't like it?!

Trouble relating to the players? What does that actually mean?

No characters? Well, do many TOP sides? Really? You tend to get them in the lower leagues, the triers with a bit of personality. But to cut it at the top, you need class above character.

No passion? Not trying hard enough? We've got the worse discipline in the league, and probably the most energetic player in the league!

So basically, your only valid points are that you're pissed off Murray left (yeah, we all are frustrating watching CMS missing a proper partner), but that's not going to change unless we sign a striker of similar style/ability) and that we've not been shooting enough lately (again, we all are). Your other attitudes are, basically, complete nonsense.

Still don't think we'd all be this negative if it wasn't for that way we let Palace humiliate us. A disgusting and humiliating performance, and one that this season still hasn't recovered from, causing misery guts all over the place. We're playing in an amazing stadium in a league with brilliant players. Yeah, current form is a pain in the arse, but what's the point if you can't be at all enthusiastic watching us play now?

I'd better reply to this one:
- the seat I have was the best I could get - would have got something lower if available - and when you've never been in the stadium it's a bit difficult to know exactly how far you will be from the action
- passion and getting booked are two separate things. You can play with considerable passion and not get booked or vice versa
- I don't see why a player can't have both class and character?
- and I never asked you to validate my points, I was just stating an opinion

Upper Library

Feb 25, 2011
Worthing
I sit in the east and absolutely love where I am and the people around me. I sat in the WSU for the England game and can see why you feel that sense of detatchment from events - great view though. Agree with other comments about the Palace game - we are all still hurting. BUT the Barnsley game was so much better and the HUll game - for me these two games made be feel that we do belong in this division. We are not going to win anything this year and I doubt in all honesty that we will even get anywhere near the play offs - but does that really matter? Mid table and being established at this level WILL be a great achievement..........Be patient it is not always good to wish for too much too soon.

Keep the faith my friend

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
Actually I agree with the OP a bit too, but also agree that it'll probably come back with some classic games at the Amex.

We couldn't have stayed as we were anyway. Withdean was on rolling temporary planning permission, so whatever, we had to do something, and what happened is miles better than any of our expectations, even the pies.

Probably the Palace game has caused a bit of a hangover too, but to the poster of the Crawley link... I go to Lewes FC sometimes when the Albion are away, and I must admit I enjoy it as much as the Albion. Though I have a season ticket (in the North, not WSU), and will of course be back next year, it's the scrum for tickets for anyone else, and the plastic singing stuff (though the pre-match goal video is fantastic).

People go to footy for different reasons, it's not fair just to abuse people who don't feel like you do, even if it doesn't change how greatful we are to Tony/Dick/Gus (apart from letting GM go, a decision that looks worse and worse with the high hopeful balls we're floating in to a player who wants it on the ground).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here