Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help: Moving To Brighton

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Hey so call me crazy but I'm moving to Brighton in mid-August and am looking to the wisdom of NSC'ers for some advice. I will be working as a supply-teacher and really look forward to settling into the city.

The first thing that I need help with is finding a flat, I am looking for a bedsit/studio apartment somewhere central to Churchill Square, Brighton Station, and the seafront. Not looking for anything too flashy, but I know there are lots of extra costs like council tax so I would like to get something with it all included in the rental price.

Any suggestions for the kind of area I should look in? How about the best place to look for listings of available flats once I arrive? It appears that most letting agencies charge heavy registration fees and I will have to try and avoid this.

Basically, this Albion fan needs to save every penny he can on rent in order to get another bum on a seat at the Withdean, so please, any advice you could give me with the relocation would be fantastic. Cheers

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
Go to Hanover, darling.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I think any of the areas within a mile or so of the station have their plus points... Have lived in Hanover but now live just off western road, think I marginally prefer the latter. Don't think many places include the council tax in the rent as it's payable by the tennent. You could try gumtree? I got my place on findaproperty.com

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
You're spoilt for choice in Brighton Regency (near Churchill Sq) with bedsits and flats to rent. You'll pay more too though. I would suggest the Preston Park area - close to the Withdean as well :)

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Seven Dials is worth a look. Close to the station. A short and pleasant walk to Churchill Square. Cheaper than some areas.

Not sure you'll find rented accommodation where the Council Tax is included - think that's the responsibility of the tenant. Sharing would be a good option if you can.

D

Deleted User X18H

Terminus Road, West Hill are the reasonable area's to rent nowadays!!

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I am throroughly browing the property market looking for somewhere to buy at the moment.

There are lots of places in the city centre which are either expensive, or dirt cheap but horrild places to live.

Someone suggested house shares, and that seems to be the way forward. I am looking to do this. But buy a place, live in one room and rent out the other.

Gumtree shows what people people are prepared to pay, and where people want to live. It also gives you a chance to look at all the pretty young ladies looking for somewhere to live

If you want to live near Churchill square and the sea, the cheapest places withnicer places to live look to be in the Sillwood/Waterloo Street areas, or the roads between St James Street and the sea, or Buckingham area by Brighton Station

D

Deleted User X18H

I am throroughly browing the property market looking for somewhere to buy at the moment.

There are lots of places in the city centre which are either expensive, or dirt cheap but horrild places to live.

Someone suggested house shares, and that seems to be the way forward. I am looking to do this. But buy a place, live in one room and rent out the other.

Gumtree shows what people people are prepared to pay, and where people want to live. It also gives you a chance to look at all the pretty young ladies looking for somewhere to live

If you want to live near Churchill square and the sea, the cheapest places withnicer places to live look to be in the Sillwood/Waterloo Street areas, or the roads between St James Street and the sea, or Buckingham area by Brighton Station

As Del Boy once said 'NICHT BUYING THEM' little piece of advice there mate keep your powder dry til next year!!!

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
You'd be best looking for shared accommodations as I don't think a supply teachers salary would afford you the luxury of living alone.

What he said. Unless you get a long term cover there is no guarantee of any work and there will be little or none throughout September though once the swine flu epidemic hits in autumn there may well be enough work.

Also do you drive or will you have to use public transport which may dictate the areas to live in. As a supply myself I've been sent all over the place from Midhurst to East Grinstead and up to Heathfield all places hard to get to by public transport.

Lastly, out of interest what agency are you going with, avoid Teaching Personnel like the plague.

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Going with Hays Education and its on their 5 days guaranteed payment scheme, so I do have a little bit of financial stability in that I know how much and when I am going to be paid. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions on some of the street names, and I will definitely be looking on gumtree today. Also, nice to know that I probably won't find council tax included! All good things to know before arriving!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Another thing to take into account is the deposit and making sure you agree about the inventory and condition of everything if you move into a part or fully furnished flat.

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
cheers everyone, officially moving to BN1 in 12 days time!

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
well done :clap:

cheers, really looking forward to it...first game for me is going to be Stockport at home, followed by Millwall away! SEEEEEEEEAAAAAAGULLS!

just think, one more added to those lowly attendance figures coming right up!

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
cheers, really looking forward to it...first game for me is going to be Stockport at home, followed by Millwall away! SEEEEEEEEAAAAAAGULLS!

just think, one more added to those lowly attendance figures coming right up!

Take some deet for the wasps in the south stand

And welcome to beautiful Brighton & Hove

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here