Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Helicopter flights from Vegas to Grand Canyon

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Any tips chaps/chapesses...going in September with the missus and really fancy that trip. Thanks in advance to all replies.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'd drive it from Vegas if you have time. You can still do plane/helicopter over Canyon when you get there. But arriving and being able to park at whichever viewing point you want is a superb experience. Treat yourself, rent a convertible, and stay the night.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Done the plane trip & it's superb & wonderful views, one of the worlds most staggering nb ; it's a bit jumpy through the thermals which supported the cabin crew handing out sick bags as you sat down & all of the mostly Japanese used fully. Go reputable as there is a self interest protecting blanket wall of silence on the not infrequent crash stats...

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Back in 2003 I booked a great Virgin Canyon tour which comprised:

A 12 seater light aircraft flight from Vegas to the canyon flying over Hoover Dam and Lake Mead. You then get a short chopper flight into the bottom the canyon where you got a ride on the river in a boat. You then jumped back into the chopper which took you back up to the top where you had lunch with the local Indians. You then had a coach tour round the rim before catching the light aircraft back to Vegas.

It wasn't as expensive as it sounds and variety of transport was exhilarating.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Did the plane trip and it is incredible the Grand Canyon, you cannot understand how big it is till you actually see it.

We did the Skywalk however it is quite expensive and you cannot take a camera on it, but amazingly the Red Indians camera does work so you pay them for the photos.

It was easily the best thing we did and just booked the trip on the strip

superwomen

Apr 19, 2011
Hove
you must go not to be missed - and stay the night as the sunset is stunning, and views - looking forward to going back next year - we going down to the bottom on a mule stay the night and fly out in the morning!!!!!!!!!

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Well worth doing the helicopter trip from Vegas airport, you get the full benefit but doesn't take up too much of your vacation time.

Think we went with 'Heli-USA' including a scenic route to/from the GC, then landing in the bottom of the GC and having a picnic, then returning to Vegas. Would recommend doing one of the last flights of the day as it becomes sunset over the GC and on the return flight you see Vegas all lit up from the air. One of the best experiences anywhere in the world.

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
We used Maverick, not the cheapest but they have good reviews and a newer fleet of aircraft and we had a fantastic day. Most excursions go to either the west (which you get a helicopter to) or the south which is further and you take a plane there and can then switch to a helicopter. The south costs more but is said to be alot more scenic than the west and is definetly worth paying a bit more for, we took it in turns to go in the cockpit on the flight out which takes about 40 minutes and is well worth the cost and a once in a lifetime experience.You can book online before you go but can easily do it when you are out there, if you are travelling with Virgin etc they will charge alot more if you book through them.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Another vote for Maverick here, great day. We did it very early and thus avoided queues. It looked manic about lunchtime when we were heading home. Would be my number 1 tip really go on as early a tour as possible!

D

Deleted User X18H

Make sure you get a good view of Area 51. We went up about 7am. You can do breakfast.

Tip the pilot

Skills

Aug 4, 2008
Brighton
My only tip is.....absolutely do it. Went with a company called Maverick. Once in a lifetime experience. Enjoy!

This! Maverick are the best. They are not the cheapest but you'll do this once so do it right. The Sunset tour is my recommendation. They pick you up from your hotel and you fly from Vegas airport (some companies drive you for 1-3 hours). You'll land on the Canyon and drink champagne. On the return to Vegas the sun is setting and you fly down the strip as all the lights are starting to sparkle. AMAZING

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
Don't book it here, always loads of deals out there. Thought the plane trip was better than the helicopter trip.

Not sure if helicopters are allowed below the rim of the canyon now, i'm sure they had stopped it last time I was there but could be wrong.

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
This! Maverick are the best. They are not the cheapest but you'll do this once so do it right. The Sunset tour is my recommendation. They pick you up from your hotel and you fly from Vegas airport (some companies drive you for 1-3 hours). You'll land on the Canyon and drink champagne. On the return to Vegas the sun is setting and you fly down the strip as all the lights are starting to sparkle. AMAZING
Did the same but not sure who I booked through, this was 8 years ago so they may have stopped landing below rim.

Attachments

• 0192 GC.JPG
    0192 GC.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 47

Baaaald

3rd time lucky
Aug 7, 2011
Haywards Heath
We used Maverick. Absolutely amazing experience, seem to remember having a picnic in the middle of the grand canyon which was a little surreal. Do it!!!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We couldnt get a plane/helicopter from Vegas due to being heavily booked so was advised to go to Boulder City 15 mins out of Vegas to try Papillon Airways but they were in the same boat so drove to the Grand Canyon via the Hoover Dam where the helicopters go every 30 mins and got a flight there dead easy an amazing experience. We stayed 2 nights in Flagstaff about 50 mins drive from The Grand Canyon hell of a lot cheaper than staying at the Canyon. Drove up one day, about 4 hours, then did the Canyon the next stayed the 2nd night then headed off to Memphis. Then the Ali Centre in Louisville, Now in Chicago for flight home on Tuesday.

Last edited:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Can't remember the company but do it and try for an afternoon so you get to fly back down the strip at dusk ... awesome

also

try the sunday breakfast buffet at the back of the Wynn overlooking golf course ... exsquisite
go to the top of the Rio and drink outside for spectacular nightime views
see the show O at the Bellagio ... by far the best Cirque I've ever seen
If you like steak try Mortons (others in the US) but if you've never had one you have to do it
Quite the opposite and good Chinese, PF Changs in Paris

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here