• No

Votes: 29 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The 'Last man' has nothing to do with it. Its not a Law.
It was a reckless challenge, it should have been a straight red wherever it happened on the park.
It was a deffo red in in the box. Looked to me as the 'last' defender was the far side of the action
and the keeper stopped a clear goal scoring opportunity, therefore its a red and a direct FK.

Lucky for the ref, the opportunity to right the wrong presented itself..Happy Days

A reckless challenge only receives a yellow. It has to be excessive force to be a red.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've been wracking my brain all evening to remember why Sheldrake had stuck in my mind. He was one of the officials at Withdean in the Bournemouth penalty that wasn't.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
There was a defender in line with play, but the other side of Heaton. Buckley took it in the opposite direction, it would have taken some serious heroics for him to have stopped Buckley scoring. This is, however, the only reason I can think the referee went with a yellow.

You're spot on. Pretty sure from WSU in line with it Buckley would've slotted into an empty net. Clear goalscoring opportunity prevented = clear red card. Could've cost us (again)

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
You're both right, common sense should prevail, but the one purpose of rules is to ensure consistency in their application, whether or not you agree with. I think it should have been a red card for that foul, I was just pointing out that - strictly speaking - the ref was correct in only booking the goalie.

I'm not sure your version of 'strictly speaking' is the case. The guidance asks referees to consider the 'direction of play' (along with some other considerations) to help establish whether a foul was a denial of a goalscoring opportunity. It does not require an attacking player to be moving in a straight line towards goal.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
If you've just seen the red card in the Blackburn game, player nudged over outside the box with two covering defenders either side and with the keeper to beat, then you'll realise Heaton should probably have been arrested on the pitch and taken straight to Dartmoor. Do not pass go.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
They didnt show it? ****s sake. I saw it from the South stand, and Buckley kicked it straight, not away from goal. All he had to do was tap it in but he was fouled by the last man. Red. The ref will have a bad review.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
They didnt show it? ****s sake. I saw it from the South stand, and Buckley kicked it straight, not away from goal. All he had to do was tap it in but he was fouled by the last man. Red. The ref will have a bad review.

They showed the second yellow. Was very strange on second viewing. The BBC commentator did say 'Heaton, who was fortunate not to have been sent off in the first half...' though.

Closure.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I've been wracking my brain all evening to remember why Sheldrake had stuck in my mind. He was one of the officials at Withdean in the Bournemouth penalty that wasn't.

Barrel of Fun stated earlier that he was the ref for that farcical shambles of a decision.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Heaton had no intention to play the ball,he just took Buckley out with a cynical foul,if this had happened anywhere else on the pitch by an out field player the the ref would of had no hesitation but to send him off.
Ref mucked it up,realised at half time (maybe watched incident on a tv screen) and looked for the first opportunity to give Heaton another yellow to make up for his mistake as the second yellow was a bit dubious.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Reading Ackers rules that Derby player should have had his marching orders for preventing Dave goals scoring opportunity from the free kick.

Didn't the ref indicate with his hand that he (buckers) was moving away from goal (or that the ball had gone away at an angel) and that is why he didn't give a red.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
The first one was a straight red in my mind as it was a proffesionsl foul that denied a clear goal scoring opportunity. the second yellow seemed to be the ref making amends.

exactly that.....the fact the ref bottled the first one gave dyche head the chance to bemoan the second.......wonder if he'll get told off ah la holloway...doubt it as it's "only the championship" (cough)

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
84%. What would the percentage be if it had been our keeper?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
With refs like that keepers would where possible take players out before they reach the box, thus getting only getting a yellow and avoiding the penalty too. If Buckley had got around the keeper, as he would have done, he'd have to have ****ed up quite badly to avoid slotting the ball home. The defender running back is very unlikely to have got back to cover.

Was surprised with the 2nd yellow, ref must have seen the highlights at half time and realised he'd made a howler, if the abuse from the crowd hadn't already stuck that point in his head.

briref

Aug 12, 2008
some very good discussion,
I think the ref made a balls up issuing the 2nd yellow card, I am not entirely sure it is a caution offence.
I have flicked through the laws of the game, power point presentations and it just mentions the punishment as an indirect free kick.

An easier decision would of been to give a free kick to Burnley for "preventing the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from his hands"

I strongly suspect like a lot of other he watched the replay at half time, and saw what a balls up he made and could not wait to make amends.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Heaton had no intention to play the ball,he just took Buckley out with a cynical foul,if this had happened anywhere else on the pitch by an out field player the the ref would of had no hesitation but to send him off.

I doubt it, we often see last defenders cynically take out a counter attacking opponent out on the half way line and only receive a yellow. Like I said earlier, a cynical foul to stop such attacks should always be a red IMO, but for referees they have to deny goals or obvious goal scoring opportunities, or have to be excessive force to give a red card.

Reading Ackers rules that Derby player should have had his marching orders for preventing Dave goals scoring opportunity from the free kick.

I think that would depend on if the ref considered to be going in or having a good chance of going in (and perhaps whether he thought it was more a cynical attempt to block the ball or more a case of thoughtless action). We've seen incidents like that where players get sent off, and ones where they don't. Though it was Coutt, who got a yellow later in the game (and really should have had another for all his time wasting), so he MIT have ended up getting sent off even if he only got a yellow for that handball.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here