Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Heat emergency declared in England

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've been to the Black Forest on holiday and it is very hot. Berlin may not be but there are parts of Germany which get hot weather regularly.

This is my point though. We regularly have brief periods of extreme weather but, like the UK, we don’t have any of the measures you highlighted like altered working days, houses painted white etc and bringing my post back on topic we don’t have the hysteria. If it’s a lack of petrol or pasta or bog roll, or a day of hot weather, or a light dusting of snow, you do like a panic…KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON :lolol:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
apparently a lot of parents asking if they should keep kids out of school. they'll be off to the Med next week. :rolleyes:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
To be fair the RAC probably have an insight into how unprepared the average motorist is in this country?
Your cars have air con don't they, they might be the coolest place to be.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I have heard this said so many times. It is ridiculous. We live in a temperate climate. Our infrastructure is set up to cope with a temperate climate. My brother lives in Canada and where he lives they have freezing temperatures from autumn until spring. They cope. Why? Because they have invested squillions in infrastructure to keep the country going because they have to. Does anyone here think that the government should spend a comparable amount of money on infrastructure so that we can avoid two bad snow days once every few years? It would be dumb.

Similar to heat. Our homes are set up to keep us warm. So if they get hot then it traps the heat whereas homes in hot countries are the opposite. We don’t have air con. We don’t have fans fitted when we don’t have air con. We have carpets rather than cold floors. Etc etc.

Our roads and rail are designed for the temperature we live in etc

Freak weather is not about us being soft and struggling. It is that our infrastructure just isn’t set up for it.

Quite. I appreciate most people are on the South coast but me and you aren't so probably have a different perspective (Nr Birmingham for the rest of you). The Brighton forecast is 28/29 so is a nice warm, what's the fuss about, summers day and it always feels a bit lower by the sea. Here, it's 37 degrees at 18:00 this evening with nothing in the way of breeze.

It's Portugal / Spain heat in English buildings. Kids at school in South facing glass buildings with no air con won't have much fun today. Whilst it's only 2 days, it's clear this will only get worse in years to come. That infrastructure debate may turn up here sooner than a lot of people think.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Your cars have air con don't they, they might be the coolest place to be.

I’m just thinking of people taking time off work because of the heat, and piling down to the coast to join a traffic jam with nothing in their cars except some dusty old travel sweets and a Starbucks flat white :)

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Independent thinking :shrug:

Try it.
Independent is good but there is plenty of quality thinking out there that you don't want to be independent of. The trick is recognising it.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
apparently a lot of parents asking if they should keep kids out of school. they'll be off to the Med next week. :rolleyes:

Not sure what your point is really? It's going to be 8oC warmer than Valencia, 5oC warmer than Rome and 11oC warmer than Athens tomorrow and we don't have air con, etc.!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This is my point though. We regularly have brief periods of extreme weather but, like the UK, we don’t have any of the measures you highlighted like altered working days, houses painted white etc and bringing my post back on topic we don’t have the hysteria. If it’s a lack of petrol or pasta or bog roll, or a day of hot weather, or a light dusting of snow, you do like a panic…KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON :lolol:

I hope the word in bold is a plural you and not me specifically. I am not a panic bosun.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Independent is good but there is plenty of quality thinking out there that you don't want to be independent of. The trick is recognising it.

I'd say the trick is to try to understand the messenger, what they want to tell you and their purposes and agendas. Question everything, particularly if there is some global urge to make you believe something or make you think in a particular way.

Evidence based thinking.

Try it.

There's evidence for anything you want evidence for. If you want to believe the new ice age is coming, you'll find evidence if you want it, if you want to believe we're all going to burn to death, there's evidence for it.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'd say the trick is to try to understand the messenger, what they want to tell you and their purposes and agendas. Question everything, particularly if there is some global urge to make you believe something or make you think in a particular way.

I do question. And I look at evidence.

All your rhetoric is thinly disguised climate crisis denial. It probably makes you feel safer.

Anyway, I shall disengage now. I don’t enjoy this conspiracy theory side to you. Chat again soon.

There's evidence for anything you want evidence for. If you want to believe the new ice age is coming, you'll find evidence if you want it, if you want to believe we're all going to burn to death, there's evidence for it.

All your rhetoric is thinly disguised climate crisis denial. It probably makes you feel safer.

Anyway, I shall disengage now. I don’t enjoy this conspiracy theory side to you. Chat again soon.

NB “there’s evidence for anything you want evidence for”

There really, really isn’t.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

I could copy and paste more …is it really so perfect in Germany

https://youtu.be/NMKwaikzPQc

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

NB “there’s evidence for anything you want evidence for”

There really, really isn’t.

You still on holiday?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Well enjoy!

My son has just done a 10pm/6am shift :moo:

Cheers mate! Weekend shifts are 15 hours for me. 17:30 to 08:30 :-/ weekdays are 11 hours.

10pm is a hard start time though, really throws the system.

So it’s shade and a few beers for me!

Have a good day :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here