Health and safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
As we have been putting up Christmas decorations in our office the last couple of days, the usual 'health and safety' email has been sent out warning us about the fire hazards and dangers of blocking exits. What happened before the country went health and safety mad? Did every office used to catch fire because people weren't properly briefed about the dangers of jamming tinsel into a plug socket or coating the tree in parafin?

It makes me feel like a 5 year old child being told not to play with matches, I'm pretty sure everyone in my office has this thing called common sense.

Does this wind anyone else up? Or is it just me?!

:tantrum::tantrum::tantrum:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Shouldn't this be called ELF and Safety? Basics man, basics.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Yes and no.

I think that people trying to sue other people/their employers/companies are also to blame. I quite understand that companies want to cover their backs. My last job had an element of health and safety committee work inovlved in it and even the most hardcore health and safety people would openly admit that a lot of it is just to ensure that the company does not open itself to any potential claims.

Of course if I was seriously injured because my employer did something stupid, I would probavly want to claim. However, I wouldn't claim for small things - I just report the error to the magical caretaker people and get on with it.

Some health and safety is common sense - i.e. don't put your christmas tree in the way of a fire exit. Some does seem over the top, but I guess that is life.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
As we have been putting up Christmas decorations in our office the last couple of days, the usual 'health and safety' email has been sent out warning us about the fire hazards and dangers of blocking exits. What happened before the country went health and safety mad? Did every office used to catch fire because people weren't properly briefed about the dangers of jamming tinsel into a plug socket or coating the tree in parafin?

It makes me feel like a 5 year old child being told not to play with matches, I'm pretty sure everyone in my office has this thing called common sense.

Does this wind anyone else up? Or is it just me?!

:tantrum::tantrum::tantrum:

:laugh: :clap2:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Yes and no.

I think that people trying to sue other people/their employers/companies are also to blame. I quite understand that companies want to cover their backs. My last job had an element of health and safety committee work inovlved in it and even the most hardcore health and safety people would openly admit that a lot of it is just to ensure that the company does not open itself to any potential claims.

Of course if I was seriously injured because my employer did something stupid, I would probavly want to claim. However, I wouldn't claim for small things - I just report the error to the magical caretaker people and get on with it.

Some health and safety is common sense - i.e. don't put your christmas tree in the way of a fire exit. Some does seem over the top, but I guess that is life.

I guess what really winds me up is the way these messages are worded and the detail they go in to. I probably wouldn't object so much if they just sent out a couple of sentences reminding me to take extra care but instead it is massive email with headings and bullet points, 95% of which covers things I learnt at primary school.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
but if they dont and someone does do somthing stupid, they'll be liable and this protects them from being sued.

which came first, health and safety or compensation culture?

on my local high street theres a christmas tree with a 6 foot metal fence around it. makes it look like a right eye sore and i'd rahter they just didnt bother.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Our place isn't too bad about decorations but we always get the real party pooper email prior to any staff party along the lines of "don't drink too much, and even though you're not at work it's still a work event so you can still be disciplined for anything you say or do". Kind of puts a downer on the whole thing especially as we've had to organise the get together ourselves because they wont pay for it.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Our place isn't too bad about decorations but we always get the real party pooper email prior to any staff party along the lines of "don't drink too much, and even though you're not at work it's still a work event so you can still be disciplined for anything you say or do". Kind of puts a downer on the whole thing especially as we've had to organise the get together ourselves because they wont pay for it.

Oh yes that is one of the sections in this email:

"Drinking
For most people, Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without sharing a drink or two (or more), but we have to be aware of the hazards that brings. If employees are celebrating on company time or premises, then we have to treat it in the same manner as all other health and safety in the workplace. For example, it may be appropriate to arrange transport to remove the temptation for members of staff to drink and drive.

Security of the premises is another consideration since it is easy for people to leave at random times with the last person leaving without closing windows or locking the door. In extreme cases, we have even come across incidents where people have passed out from having too much to drink and have later woken up to find themselves locked in the workplace overnight or even longer."

Although the last sentence did make me chuckle!

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Maybe we've gone too far, but when was the last major (non terrorist) disaster in the UK?

Back in the late 80s we had a series of incidents like the Kings Cross Fire, Hillsborough and Bradford that cost lots of lifes. All of those lifes lost could have been prevented through good health and safety.

As I said that maybe the pendulum has swung too far and that companies are now so fearful of being sued that they'll do everything to make sure they are negligent. I can see though that this might well drop away, especially if judges throw out some of the compo claims, and that things might get more sensible.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
but if they dont and someone does do somthing stupid, they'll be liable and this protects them from being sued.

which came first, health and safety or compensation culture?

Exactly right. Its called reaping what the festering lawyers and greedy I want something for nothing gits sow!

Wasnt there someone on here a couple of days ago wondering how much compensation he could get for what appeared to be a very minor car accident that didnt affect his ability to get to a job interview.

We cant have it all ways. Claims culture= health and safety goes mad.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What's wrong with a bit of health and safety? Our boss has kindly put a step ladder next to the copier to reduce the chance of accidents when people photocopy their arse during the Christmas Party.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Building site foremen being told to make sure that all the brickies, hod-carriers, chippies, etc. had applied sun block when working outside in the summer, or make them put their shirts back on.

Imagine trying to police / enforce that !

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley

Reading (very much) between the lines, are you saying that your works do is outside of work time, off the work premesis and paid for by staff members out of their own pockets?

In which case, I find it very difficult to see how they would get any kind of disciplinary action to stick.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
situations like this are because of people like the poster the other day when his girlfriend knocked over a cyclist and because he now has a sore neck (him not the cyclist) he want to claim free money

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Basically it's another unwanted import that has made its way across the atlantic. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for good health and safety practices but for the sake of avoiding accidents rather than avoiding having to pay out thousands in compensation.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Reading (very much) between the lines, are you saying that your works do is outside of work time, off the work premesis and paid for by staff members out of their own pockets?

In which case, I find it very difficult to see how they would get any kind of disciplinary action to stick.

I think the email meant you aren't "working" but might still be "at work"

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
What we should all be aware of are unenforceable rules/directives given out by health and safety bodies and lawyers. For example, a motorcycle manufacturer warned it's dealers that they could be sued by a customers parents if the customer was 17 years of age and injured himself/died whilst riding a machine that the dealer had sold them. This in spite of the fact that it was legal for the customer to ride the 125cc machine. It was explained that as the customer was under 18 years old the dealer had a 'duty of care' to him.One day such a case ended up in court. Thankfully the judge threw it out.

My point is that lawyers and/or health and safety execs create fear of litigation, thereby promoting their own advice, and inflating their workload and renumeration. When you hear of obviously stupid health and safety rules, challenge people to prove they are enforceable. Usually they are an overreaction to the worst possible scenario. Obviously any employer can have their own rules in place in the workplace which are enforceable through an internal disciplinary system.

Remember your wet weather gear folks, it's raining today!

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
What we should all be aware of are unenforceable rules/directives given out by health and safety bodies and lawyers. For example, a motorcycle manufacturer warned it's dealers that they could be sued by a customers parents if the customer was 17 years of age and injured himself/died whilst riding a machine that the dealer had sold them. This in spite of the fact that it was legal for the customer to ride the 125cc machine. It was explained that as the customer was under 18 years old the dealer had a 'duty of care' to him.One day such a case ended up in court. Thankfully the judge threw it out.

My point is that lawyers and/or health and safety execs create fear of litigation, thereby promoting their own advice, and inflating their workload and renumeration. When you hear of obviously stupid health and safety rules, challenge people to prove they are enforceable. Usually they are an overreaction to the worst possible scenario. Obviously any employer can have their own rules in place in the workplace which are enforceable through an internal disciplinary system.

Remember your wet weather gear folks, it's raining today!

Thats the thing about our legal system though, its all based on case law. Lawyers have a duty to point out to clients that there is a risk, even if it is miniscule, unless there is case law to show that there is no risk of being succefully sued.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks

Great, in that case I'll make sure to call my boss a complete wanker :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here