Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Heading and brain damage

Should heading the ball be banned from football

• Yes, we need to protect young players from suffering later in life

Votes: 23 45.1%
  • No, essentially its personal choice

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • We need to wait for more conclusive evidence before we make such a drastic change

Votes: 17 33.3%

• Total voters

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
It can't, unless you are going to fix the brain so that it doesn't move inside the skull. It's not so much the force of the hit being transferred through the skull to the brain, it the fact that the brain floats inside the skull. Think of a person inside a car, in a crash unless the body is secured to the car it will crash into the car because the body continues with the same momentum but the momentum of the car has changed. Hence seatbelts and airbags
This is precisely why you are taught to head through the ball rather than just let it hit you.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Does that make any difference, it's still the brain moving inside the skull as a result? Plus such advice predates recent findings on CTE etc.
Well, that is where the research is needed, but basic physics would indicate you are less likely to sustain a concussion due to the direction of travel of your head (and it's contents) being maintained past the point of contact. Your brain is still going to get rattled to a lesser degree, but how much brain rattling is too much?

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I'm sure such technologically could be developed, if it doesn't exist already.

It can't, unless you are going to fix the brain so that it doesn't move inside the skull. It's not so much the force of the hit being transferred through the skull to the brain, it the fact that the brain floats inside the skull. Think of a person inside a car, in a crash unless the body is secured to the car it will crash into the car because the body continues with the same momentum but the momentum of the car has changed. Hence seatbelts and airbags

I think there are several examples in the animal kingdom that can form the basis for exactly that type of technological development - the first thing (having worked in the field of ornithology for many years) that always comes to my mind is the ‘miracle’ design of a woodpecker tongue - The tongue of a woodpecker extends posteriorly from the base of the mouth, around the neck, over the occiput, and into the right nostril. This creates a muscular sling inside the head of woodpeckers which limits the sloshing of the brain inside the skull that as you note, has been identified as one of the primary causes of TBI.

The Woodpecker has indeed inspired developments in the States

Bighorn sheep also have a remarkably effective method to prevent brain injury when they are ramming into one another as part of combat and mating rituals. The ram's horns are hollow, spiral structures composed mainly of keratin. This spiral architecture as well as the make up of the keratin provides ample shock absorption.

Shrimps too are the subject of some research into TBI - they have a protective hood apparently that allows the release of water from the cranial cavity that reduces the movement of the brain from shockwaves - similar basis to the technology being used in the video above that reduces the fluid around the brain

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
How? The brain essentially floats inside the skull connected to the body via the stem. Any shock to the head will cause the brain to hit the inside of the casing. Its simple physics.

I'm not a physicist, so I can't answer this. I think we can surely agree that head protection is better than no head protection, at the very least.

I would also say with even more R&D the head protection can be fine-tuned specifically for football.

ChatGPT:

To understand how headgear can help prevent the brain from hitting the skull and thus reduce the risk of concussion, it is essential to delve into the mechanisms of concussion and how protective headgear works:

Mechanism of Concussion​

A concussion occurs when the brain rapidly moves inside the skull due to a blow or sudden movement. This movement can cause the brain to collide with the inner walls of the skull, leading to brain injury. The key to preventing concussions lies in reducing the acceleration and deceleration forces that cause the brain to move.

How Headgear Can Help​

1. Impact Absorption:
    • Mechanism: Headgear made from impact-absorbing materials such as foam, gel, or specialized polymers can reduce the force transmitted to the skull.
    • Effect: By absorbing and dispersing the energy of an impact, the headgear lowers the peak force reaching the skull and brain, reducing the risk of the brain colliding with the skull.
  2. Force Distribution:
    • Mechanism: Headgear designed to distribute impact forces over a larger surface area helps in minimizing the focal point of the impact.
    • Effect: By spreading the force over a broader area, the intensity of the impact at any single point is reduced, decreasing the likelihood of brain movement.
  3. Reducing Rotational Forces:
    • Mechanism: Some headgear incorporates features to reduce rotational acceleration, which is a significant factor in causing concussions.
    • Effect: By limiting rotational motion, the headgear helps to prevent the twisting or shearing forces that can cause the brain to move within the skull.
  4. Cushioning and Compression:
    • Mechanism: Soft shell headgear or padded headbands provide a cushioning effect, compressing upon impact to absorb energy.
    • Effect: The compression of the padding absorbs kinetic energy that would otherwise be transferred to the brain, mitigating the force of the impact.

Specific Examples of Protective Technologies​

1. Foam Padding:
    • Materials: Polyurethane, EVA foam, or other advanced foams.
    • Function: These materials compress under impact, absorbing and dissipating energy.
  2. Gel Inserts:
    • Materials: Silicone-based or other specialized gels.
    • Function: Gels can deform upon impact, providing a high degree of energy absorption and reducing transmitted forces.
  3. Smart Materials:
    • Materials: Shear-thickening fluids or viscoelastic materials.
    • Function: These materials remain flexible under normal conditions but harden upon impact, providing enhanced protection.
  4. Air Bladders:
    • Mechanism: Inflatable air bladders within the headgear.
    • Function: Adjust to the level of impact dynamically, providing custom cushioning for different impact forces.

Real-World Application and Effectiveness​

• Studies and Testing: Protective headgear should undergo rigorous testing under various conditions to ensure its effectiveness. This includes laboratory tests simulating impacts and field tests with real players.
  • Regulatory Approval: Headgear must meet the standards and regulations set by soccer governing bodies, ensuring it provides adequate protection without compromising the game.

Conclusion​

Protective headgear works by absorbing, distributing, and mitigating the forces of impact, thereby reducing the movement of the brain within the skull. While no headgear can completely eliminate the risk of concussion, well-designed and properly tested headgear can significantly lower the likelihood and severity of brain injuries during activities like heading a football.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I think there are several examples in the animal kingdom that can form the basis for exactly that type of technological development - the first thing (having worked in the field of ornithology for many years) that always comes to my mind is the ‘miracle’ design of a woodpecker tongue - The tongue of a woodpecker extends posteriorly from the base of the mouth, around the neck, over the occiput, and into the right nostril. This creates a muscular sling inside the head of woodpeckers which limits the sloshing of the brain inside the skull that as you note, has been identified as one of the primary causes of TBI.

Bighorn sheep also have a remarkably effective method to prevent brain injury when they are ramming into one another as part of combat and mating rituals. The ram's horns are hollow, spiral structures composed mainly of keratin. This spiral architecture as well as the make up of the keratin provides ample shock absorption.

Shrimps too are the subject of some research into TBI - they have a protective hood apparently that allows the release of water from the cranial cavity that reduces the movement of the brain from shockwaves - similar basis to the technology being used in the video above that reduces the fluid around the brain

Bird brain, sheep brain and shrimp brain not totally convinced they were all there to start with

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Bird brain, sheep brain and shrimp brain not totally convinced they were all there to start with
Ha! 😂

There are numerous examples of technology being inspired or aping aspects of the animal kingdom- I don’t like the idea of animal based experiments particularly but it is relevant to the fight to find technology that can minimise brain movement in traumatic contacts - perhaps watch the video I posted about the research being done by the scientist Will Smith portrayed in Concussion, it’s actually really interesting ( and pertinent to this discussion)

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia

Ok, you can imagine all kinds of wonderful solutions, whilst, like you, the beauty of Evolutionary biology never fails to leave me in awe, personally from my understanding of anatomy I doubt a solution will be found. Also, I don't think it's particularly ethical to say (which you haven't) that we have potential solutions, most likely years away so carry on as usual.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
I'm not a physicist, so I can't answer this. I think we can surely agree that head protection is better than no head protection, at the very least.

I would also say with even more R&D the head protection can be fine-tuned specifically for football.

ChatGPT:
The main cause of injury to the brain is the brain hitting the inside of the skull which is caused by a change in acceleration of the skull, sure some of the shock is also transferred and here headgear can help but only in a limited way. My approach would be since we cannot effectively protect the brain from the effects of heading a ball surely we can agree that not heading the ball is the best way to prevent injury.

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Ok, you can imagine all kinds of wonderful solutions, whilst, like you, the beauty of Evolutionary biology never fails to leave me in awe, personally from my understanding of anatomy I doubt a solution will be found. Also, I don't think it's particularly ethical to say (which you haven't) that we have potential solutions, most likely years away so carry on as usual.
I’m not imagining anything though - the video I linked to above, demonstrates the actual success of neck collars now being used in the NFL as a trial to limit brain movements on impact.

I’m only educated to A level Human Biology so have no advanced knowledge in this area (you are clearly more knowledgeable ) but it seems to be exactly along the lines you were suggesting was needed is it not?

i certainly think a combination of better measures could significantly reduce risk. And no, as you acknowledge I didn’t say we should carry on as usual - heading is now banned for all U11 football matches ( including in schools) and I did suggest footballers at senior level should be given the choice along with more frequent routine scans for early signs of brain injury.

EDIT 27 June to add further reading - biomimetic technology has had wide applications in the cutting edge of human technological advances in ways forebears never would have imagined, so what we have learnt from woodpecker‘s ability to absorb high velocity shockwaves (and likewise with certain other animals), ethically can’t be easily dismissed either when it comes to TBI and brain ‘slosh’: The Q-collar, inspired by the physiology of woodpeckers and jugular compression (which controls how much water is released from the cranial cavity) is now used in the NFL and ice hockey. Research and trials into the Q-collar concluded that the device doesn’t eliminate concussions and traumatic brain injuries, but does reduce longterm injury caused by “repetitive, sub-concussive impacts” such as that thought to be the risk in repeated headers and the accumulation of minor impacts.

https://www.asme.org/topics-resources/content/collar-compresses-the-neck-to-protect-the-brain

Last edited:

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
I’m not imagining anything though - the video I linked to above, demonstrates the actual success of neck collars now being used in the NFL as a trial to limit brain movements on impact.

I’m only educated to A level Human Biology so have no advanced knowledge in this area (you are clearly more knowledgeable ) but it seems to be exactly along the lines you were suggesting was needed is it not?

i certainly think a combination of better measures could significantly reduce risk. And no, as you acknowledge I didn’t say we should carry on as usual - heading is now banned for all U11 football matches ( including in schools) and I did suggest footballers at senior level should be given the choice along with more frequent routine scans for early signs of brain injury.

EDIT 27 June to add further reading - biomimetic technology has had wide applications in the cutting edge of human technological advances in ways forebears never would have imagined, so what we have learnt from woodpecker‘s ability to absorb high velocity shockwaves (and likewise with certain other animals), ethically can’t be easily dismissed either when it comes to TBI and brain ‘slosh’: The Q-collar, inspired by the physiology of woodpeckers and jugular compression (which controls how much water is released from the cranial cavity) is now used in the NFL and ice hockey. Research and trials into the Q-collar concluded that the device doesn’t eliminate concussions and traumatic brain injuries, but does reduce longterm injury caused by “repetitive, sub-concussive impacts” such as that thought to be the risk in repeated headers and the accumulation of minor impacts.

https://www.asme.org/topics-resources/content/collar-compresses-the-neck-to-protect-the-brain

Sorry I haven't watched the video, I need to get a VPN. I just had a look at q collar. it's an interesting idea. If the research stacks up it could be a way forward. However, my first thought was the danger in prolonged increased blood pressure to the brain and from this article it would appear that I am not alone. https://abcnews.go.com/Health/exper...vice-prevent-brain-injuries/story?id=76211910 Also the only study I could find, while generally positive had only a small sample size and for only 1 season. It found that the device did protect the brain from minor injuries but from a quick read through from what I can see it doesn't protect against concussion. But for sure I think it is worth more study.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Sorry I haven't watched the video, I need to get a VPN. I just had a look at q collar. it's an interesting idea. If the research stacks up it could be a way forward. However, my first thought was the danger in prolonged increased blood pressure to the brain and from this article it would appear that I am not alone. https://abcnews.go.com/Health/exper...vice-prevent-brain-injuries/story?id=76211910 Also the only study I could find, while generally positive had only a small sample size and for only 1 season. It found that the device did protect the brain from minor injuries but from a quick read through from what I can see it doesn't protect against concussion. But for sure I think it is worth more study.
The thing is, even without going into the detail of whether this works or not or has unexpected side effects or not, it's bloody bonkers that there's a large portion of people (including medically and technically minded people) who go to "let's artificially increase the amount of blood in and around the brain" before we go to "maybe this exact way of playing sport isn't the best idea".

Edit: just to expand on this slightly, I have nothing against something like the cheese run in Gloucestershire, where a bunch of people stare down a massive hill, think "I could totally break my leg or worse doing this", and then charge down it anyway and break their leg. That's their decision and I'm happy for them to do it and be treated by a health care system that I pay into. That's their lookout and I don't doubt that whatever I end up being treated for will be in some way my fault too.

That's not the case in football (or a number of other sports but this isn't a Brighton FC forum), where there's an identifiable risk but it weighs mainly on people either not aware of it or poorly positioned to make a decision on it. The responsibility lies with the people making the rules for youth football and training in particular, because players can't be put in a position where they're asked to weigh up "X% chance of serious brain damage" against "vague possibility of millions of pounds".

Last edited:

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
That's not the case in football (or a number of other sports but this isn't a Brighton FC forum), where there's an identifiable risk but it weighs mainly on people either not aware of it or poorly positioned to make a decision on it. The responsibility lies with the people making the rules for youth football and training in particular, because players can't be put in a position where they're asked to weigh up "X% chance of serious brain damage" against "vague possibility of millions of pounds".
Agree with the tenet of your first paragraph and also the jugular compression sounds ominous to me too. Also agree that bans should be put in place for youth football - they are already in U11s but that should be raised to U18s imo which is the legal age for smoking - the age the Government has deemed someone can make an adult choice about smoking which poses a severe risk to health. However, I think the argument for over 18s is more nuanced and might be approached as follows:

1. Better information and education on the risks players are assuming
  2. Regular brain scans/monitoring
  3. Banning of heading in training
  4. Partial ban in matches? (ie banned outside the 18 yard area - not sure how safe banning heading would be in a crowded penalty area?)
  5. Players being given the choice without fear of prejudice or discrimination
  6. More investment/urgency to find risk free technology

There are nuances to this debate I think - it is not a dichotomous choice between complete bans on heading and thus loss of career or brain injury.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
The thing is, even without going into the detail of whether this works or not or has unexpected side effects or not, it's bloody bonkers that there's a large portion of people (including medically and technically minded people) who go to "let's artificially increase the amount of blood in and around the brain" before we go to "maybe this exact way of playing sport isn't the best idea".
I agree with you 100%. What I am hoping (considering an outright ban is unlikely to happen quickly) is that the youngsters learn to play without using their heads, the style of play changes to accommodate that, and then in a few more years the effect of outlawing deliberate use of the head won't be such an imposition on the game. The concern we will then have is the idiocy of replays to see if the ball touches the head in any manner eg hotspot. As has already been pointed out the youngsters are contorting themselves to get their heads out of the way of the ball and causing injuries doing so. We need the refs to be able to decide if contact with the head was deliberate or just wrong place wrong time.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here