Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"He won the ball"

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
But the point that has been missed on the Kompany tackle is that he doesnt 'leap' in two footed. he leads one footed and the other leg comes round almost as if it slipped on the wet grass, yes there are two feet facing forward when he reaches the ball but that is the not the initial momentum.

WHAT? As if he slipped? You need to watch it again too.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Admitedly first view it looked ok to me, but the live camera shot was qute a way away, but slo-mo showed it to be worse. I too thought that if Nani hadn't been so quick to jump out the way, it could have been quite nasty. As I've just on another thread, it was worse than the Milijas one for Sunderland a couple of weeks ago, and that wasn't rescinded, but it wasn't as bad as Lampards last week which got a yellow. No consistency.

That's funny. 'Live' I though 'OOh that looked dangerous', In Slow mo I didn't think it was a red card :)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
So he wasn`t in control at all , was he ? Doesn`t matter how you 'leap' in it is how you finish up that matters. Two footed and studs up is not a tackle that can go unpunished nowadays. Intent does not come into it either.

You're trying to make it sound like he leapt in from miles away, studs first and very high! Look at the tackle. Contact with the ball is not with the studs and certainly not in any stamping action. Contact is with the inside/top of the right boot. I can see why Foy gave a red card (Rooney didn't help) but I don't think it is a red card.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
So he wasn`t in control at all , was he ? Doesn`t matter how you 'leap' in it is how you finish up that matters. Two footed and studs up is not a tackle that can go unpunished nowadays. Intent does not come into it either.

So we send people off for slipping now do we?

Also as regards 'intent' which you say doesnt come into it, well here is the wording of the PGMO official which seems to indicate it does:

A player who jumps into a tackle two-footed is not in control of himself and therefore if he makes contact with the player, ball and player, or if the referee determines there to be excessive malice in the challenge, he will be dismissed."'

So in this case, he made contact with the ball only, was not (in my view) initially two footed, didnt jump and nobody seems to believe there was 'excessive malice' except for Foy, Fergie and Rooney.

No wonder he looked confused when he went off.

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
I dont believe he would have got sent off on Sunday if it wasnt for Rooney doing a bleating impression to the ref, ridiculous, just like bournemouth home game last yr when the bournemouth player screamed at the lino its a penalty and he goes " oh yeah, right!"

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
-a player goes down in the penalty area and appeals for a penalty. Ref says no, pundit screams that "well if it's not a penalty, it HAS to be a dive then" and demands a yellow card. Er...clean challenges can result in players falling to the ground without diving, you UTTER spanners. See almost every other tackle in other areas of the pitch. They are just tackles. Not fouls, or dives.

What annoys me about that, is there are times that a ref does book someone for diving, and the same commentators will then argue "just because it's not a foul, doesn't mean it's a dive, ref shouldn't have booked him".

Another thing that annoys me is how if a handball is given in one game and not in another, or a foul, or a booking for a shirt off, we talk about ref's missing it, or the inconsistency of referees. If an offside is given in one game but not in another, it's nothing to do with human error, it's the law that is too confusing. We just don't know what is off or on these days. Yes, the officials do, but occasionally, as humans, they will make mistakes, show some inconsistency.

I think there is a large section of football player, managers, fans, etc see referees as the enemy, and will always look for something to attack them for, question their decision whatever it was. If they give decisions quickly they wonder why there was no waiting for advantage, if a ref waits for advantage, and none is there so he calls it back and is described as "finally" making the decision. People would rather blame the ref, even if they have to ignore the laws of the game, than accept blame themselves/for their team.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I'll stick to my original opinion.... It should not have been a red card for Kompany, or even a foul! Why did the ref take so long to blow up from being so close to the action then? He was in control, studs were not showing when the ball was taken and no contact was made with the player! Therefore how was it dangerous or reckless? This game is going crazy nowadays, it used to be a contact sport, right?

Sent from my iPhone using P+ R

I think there is a large section of football player, managers, fans, etc see referees as the enemy, and will always look for something to attack them for, question their decision whatever it was. If they give decisions quickly they wonder why there was no waiting for advantage, if a ref waits for advantage, and none is there so he calls it back and is described as "finally" making the decision. People would rather blame the ref, even if they have to ignore the laws of the game, than accept blame themselves/for their team.

Absolutely THIS. Refs call it as they see it - it's not always right, and there are some refs who are completely useless, but they are all doing their best. Debatable incidents by their very nature have two opposing arguable decisions attached to them, yet the referee is always harangued for picking the 'wrong' one.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I glanced up at a late replay and thought 'ooh, a red card' did he not get sent off?

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Last night just showed how bad the refs are. One game you're sent off, the next the refs forgot his cards. Apart from the two-footed tackle with both feet off the ground and studs showing did you noticed that Gerrad did 2 fouls with the ball nowhere insight and still no yellow.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ah, but as Gerrard stated, "Johnson won the ball"

:facepalm:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Good decision tonight ref. Jump and two feet off the ground by Johnson. No reaction from the City players. Opponent not in danger, no foul given.

By that logic, if a player pulls out a gun and fires it, but it misses everyone by some way, that's ok then. No danger.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If he fires it, it deflects off the ball and goes into another players leg, it's okay because he got ball, shirley?

Good point. He got the ball. The player was firing shots everywhere but because the player DODGED the bullets, there was no danger.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Was anyone calling for a red card ? Had there been one the ref would have been the story. It makes no sense to me.

I don't follow the bullets analogy at all. It is a football match.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here