Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

He might have been the World's Greatest Player but .....

Slowhand

Aug 24, 2005
Near Lewes
NMH said:
No, people only started saying this sort of thing AFTER he smeared his sport by blatantly getting away with cheating.

He can be credited with groundbreaking in the name of cheating, laying the foundation for future ruining of the sport. You want to see football reduced to such nonsense? Not me mate.

Paulo de Canio I will never forget, for showing great sportsmanship. He was a far better example to young footballers and fans of the game.

Absolute rubbish!

If you really believe that he laid the foundation for the ruination of football through 'that' handball you must have watched a lot of other games through rose tinted spectacles.

Cheating is a fundamental part of the game, if it wasn't you would never have free kicks!

I can only summise that you have never played competitive sport, or if you have, and you didn't think of cheating, then you probably lack a competitive edge!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Slowhand said:
I can only summise that you have never played competitive sport, or if you have, and you didn't think of cheating, then you probably lack a competitive edge!

f***ing hogwash !

its perfectly possible to compete without cheating, and win

although having said that you only have to look at Englands footballing record to see that cheating does pay off in football :rolleyes:

Slowhand

Aug 24, 2005
Near Lewes
zefarelly said:
f***ing hogwash !

although having said that you only have to look at Englands footballing record to see that cheating does pay off in football :rolleyes:

I didn't say cheated, I said 'think of cheating', it is perfectly possible to win without cheating.

However, if you are desperate to win you will consider it!

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Maradona's a short ass. Shilton is relatively big and ALLOWED to use his hands. If he's let Maradona get to the ball before him, then its Shiltons fault. No one in EnGLAND would be up in arms if Rooney scored a goal with his hand over the Argies in the next world cup...

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
good point D'Angelo!

and agreed slowhand, in fact when its your worst enemies a bit of getting away with it is always a bonus !

obviously for a man in my position its out of the question regardless ;)

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
D'Angelo Saxon said:
Maradona's a short ass. Shilton is relatively big and ALLOWED to use his hands. If he's let Maradona get to the ball before him, then its Shiltons fault. No one in EnGLAND would be up in arms if Rooney scored a goal with his hand over the Argies in the next world cup...
Only because they deserve it. :clap2:

NMH said:

As for the salute, I have no idea about that. What's the story behind that ?

"Di Canio criticised after 'fascist' salute

MILAN, Jan 8 (Reuters) - Lazio striker Paolo Di Canio has been criticised across the political spectrum in Italy after images showed him celebrating his team's derby win against AS Roma with a fascist-style salute.

At the end of Thursday's game, won 3-1 by Lazio with Di Canio among the scorers, the former England-based player ran underneath the Lazio supporters at the North End of the stadium to celebrate the victory.

Photographs published in newspapers on Saturday clearly showed Di Canio displaying a stiff armed salute to the crowd, identical to the 'Roman salute' used by followers of Italy's wartime fascist dictator Benito Mussolini.

Alessandra Mussolini, grand-daughter of the late dictator and herself a far-right politician, praised Di Canio's actions.

'How nice that Roman salute was, it delighted me so much,' she said, 'I shall write him a thank-you note'.

Di Canio though denied there was any political content to his gesture: 'I am a professional football and my celebrations had nothing to do with political behaviour of any kind, in particular not those expressed by Mrs Floriani' he told the daily Gazzetta dello Sport using Alessandra Mussolini's married name.

But Italy's Minister for EU affairs, the conservative politician Rocco Buttiglione said the salute had real meaning.

'The Roman salute brings back painful memories for many Italians. Sport should bring people together but the symbols of that terrible civil war can only divide.

'He should think about the offspring of those who were killed and what it would be like for them to see that,' he added.

Centre-left politician Enzo Foschi said he respected Di Canio as a footballer but was appalled by his gesture.

'That salute cannot pass without comment. It gives legitimacy to fascism, a murderous and tyrannical ideology. I take my cap off to Di Canio the footballer but Di Canio the fascist is a disgrace,' he said.

Di Canio, who was a hardcore Lazio 'ultra' during his youth before joining the club as a player, has never made any secret of his political affiliations.

In his autobiography he said he was 'fascinated' by Benito Mussolini and said the dictator has been 'deeply misunderstood' and was 'basically a very principled, ethical individual'.

Di Canio, who returned to Lazio in the close season after spells with Scottish club Celtic and English teams Sheffield Wednesday, West Ham United and Charlton Athletic, was also criticised for his goal celebrations.

After last season's derby ended in a riot, officials had urged players to show restraint during the game but Di Canio celebrated his goal in front of Roma supporters beating his fist against his heart and shouting"

He ended up being fined 10k Euros for it....

Last edited:

Slowhand said:
Absolute rubbish!

If you really believe that he laid the foundation for the ruination of football through 'that' handball you must have watched a lot of other games through rose tinted spectacles.

Cheating is a fundamental part of the game, if it wasn't you would never have free kicks!

I can't agree with you, but then I can see how you might be an ideal candidate to praise Moraldonut for robbing the World Cup of a fair result.
The concept of competitive sport is not to break the rules as often as you can to get away with it.
This information will apparently be new to you, and very difficult to 'take on board'.

You might enjoy WWF wrestling. It's REAL y'know.

Slowhand

Aug 24, 2005
Near Lewes
NMH said:
I can't agree with you, but then I can see how you might be an ideal candidate to praise Moraldonut for robbing the World Cup of a fair result.
The concept of competitive sport is not to break the rules as often as you can to get away with it.
This information will apparently be new to you, and very difficult to 'take on board'.

You might enjoy WWF wrestling. It's REAL y'know.

I suspect I am being patronised here, which is the standard retort of those who lack a genuine argument.

Your comments relate to how you feel about 'that handball' and how it affected 'that result'.

What you need to do is recognise that while cheating is not the concept it is however a part of the game which most people would be happy to accept if the result went the desired way. The real concept of sport is to win, and when huge amounts of money are involved the desire to win is even greater.

If you can honestly say that you would rather we were relegated than have Leon win a penalty in the last game in the last minute by diving I would respect your comments.

D

Drips

I think Maradonna was the greatest ever player bar none & its a shame he'll be more remembered for 'that' goal...:nono:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
D'Angelo Saxon said:

I would LOVE that so much..:clap2:

It has got to happen. :lolol:

Stumpy Tim

Yorkie said:
The ref deserved a yellow card for diving.

I'm sorry Yorkie, but that's 100% wrong. The ref was walking backwards away from a Paulo who was practically frothing at the mouth - then got a big push & fell over. To say that he fell to the floor on purpose is wholly innacurate & belittles what was a disgraceful thing to do.

I feel sorry for refs - without them the game wouldn't happen & all they get is a load of stick. Assaulting a ref is inexcusable

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
It was wrong to shove the ref, I agree but the ref made a meal of it. He didn't have to fall over.
Ned was still a Wednesday fan when it happened and we saw lots of footage and coverage of the incident.

zefarelly said:
f***ing hogwash !

Indeed so, you are presumably thinking of Michael Owen's penalty dives against Argentina in the last two world cups :lolol:

Admit it, the Hand of God incident has been paid back :drink:

Last edited:

Edward Scissorhands

Feb 20, 2005
Stumpy Tim said:

I feel sorry for refs - without them the game wouldn't happen & all they get is a load of stick. Assaulting a ref is inexcusable

:bowdown:

That goes for both verbal and physical abuse. :)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here