Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HD TV problem - is this fixable?

matt

Mar 19, 2007
Calling NSC's AV experts,

I have a Philips tv - model 37PFL - and the picture has started to freeze or go blocky or go black/red, especially on one side of the screen, but sometimes on the whole screen. This happens irrespective of the input (Sky Hd via HDMI, PS3 via HDMI or Wii via composite). When the problem first started to occur, a few months ago, it would generally fix itself if I pivoted the screen a little way, but not that doesn't work so well and the problem occurs more often.

I'm guessing the set is knacked, but if anyone has any suggestions/diagnosis, then I'd welcome any *input*...

Thanks,
Matt

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Sorry mate, modern electrical equipment is not designed to be fixable, think you might be snookered..

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Sorry mate, modern electrical equipment is not designed to be fixable, think you might be snookered..

but don't bother watching snooker on the TV as the table will be full of red and black balls.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
There is a slight chance that its something with failing solder that could be reflowed (the tilting-for-a-temp-fix would add to this) but most modern TVs use extremely awkward chip connectors which make reflowing impossible.

If you still *have* a TV repair shop locally bring it in, but be prepared to be heading to Currys afterwards.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
How old is the set and do you have a receipt? Trading standards applies to goods under 6 years old, which I assume it is if you have HDMI.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Fixing itself when you pivoted the screen suggests the possibility it is something as simple as a loose connection. Take the back off , hoover out all the dust and fluff and push in all the the internal wiring into respective slots and give a little wiggle to check. No guarantees but when i was much poorer this did work with quite a lot of electrical equipment others had thrown away as faulty.
Its not happening all the time so its not the screen (good news) but could be one of the boards inside which would need replacing, spares probably not available though.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
May be worth b googling the problem,I had a problem with my Samsung tellybox and done that. A quick trip to maplins and £4 later it was fixed and saved me £180

Sent from my thumb, slowly

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Danny Baker asked the question ' Do T.V. Repairmen still exist?' (or words to that effect.) on his show yesterday. A guy called up from Brighton and said he had found an online T.V. repairman to fix his Tele for £30. Maybe worth listening again between 9.45 and 11?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I have a similar problem with my Sony DVD recorder, but only on ITV and Channel 4 channels.
All BBC channels are fine, and most of the others.
Is your problem the same as mine?
If so, it could be the quality of the tuner in your telly.
My telly is fine on all channels. I just get the problem watching through the DVD recorder.
Should cure itself when we go fully digital in March 2012 hopefully.

Knightsworld

Aug 19, 2003
WSU, just below the seagull.
Danny Baker asked the question ' Do T.V. Repairmen still exist?' (or words to that effect.) on his show yesterday. A guy called up from Brighton and said he had found an online T.V. repairman to fix his Tele for £30. Maybe worth listening again between 9.45 and 11?

Slaters in Underdown Road, Southwick do repairs.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Our problem doesn't seem to be the TV as we bought a new Sony 32 inch today but the signal: on all the main channels (bbc 1, itv1 etc) the picture keeps freezing and cracking. Most other channels are fine though. Maybe it's just the aerial or a poor reception from where we live?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
There is a slight chance that its something with failing solder that could be reflowed (the tilting-for-a-temp-fix would add to this) but most modern TVs use extremely awkward chip connectors which make reflowing impossible.

If you still *have* a TV repair shop locally bring it in, but be prepared to be heading to Currys afterwards.

Choose a TV that you like in there or Dixons or Comet but then buy it online at a cheaper price :thumbsup:

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Our problem doesn't seem to be the TV as we bought a new Sony 32 inch today but the signal: on all the main channels (bbc 1, itv1 etc) the picture keeps freezing and cracking. Most other channels are fine though. Maybe it's just the aerial or a poor reception from where we live?

Have you tried standing on the sofa holding the aerial towards Brighton racecourse?

matt

Mar 19, 2007
I have a similar problem with my Sony DVD recorder, but only on ITV and Channel 4 channels.
All BBC channels are fine, and most of the others.
Is your problem the same as mine?

Doesn't sound like it :)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I took the back off, vacuumed the dust out, and prodded anything that looked as if it could be wobbly, and then put the back back on. Still getting the same problem though :(

Looks like a visit to Richer Sounds website may be on the cards :cry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here