Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I read some stats at work (no idea how reliable or representative they really are, but from my experiences in our store it would be about right) which claim that in the UK Blu-Ray outsells HD-DVD by roughly 10 to 1, due in part due to the fact that PS3s can play Blu-Ray.

I suspect HD-DVD will be as obsolete as Betamax in the not-too-distant future.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Thr trouble is, certain film studios have hung their hats on the differing formats. I dunno what the split is, but for example, Paramount and 20th Century Fox are committed to Blu-Ray, whilst MGM and Columbia are committed to HD (could be vice-versa, I can't remember).

Could mean you might still need a DVD player that can play both (and they are megawonga).

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Current movie studio standings

Blu-Ray

20th Century Fox
Buena Vista Home Entertainment
Hollywood Pictures
Lions Gate
Miramax Entertainment
MGM Studios
New Line Cinema
Sony Pictures Entertainment
Touchstone Entertainment
The Walt Disney Company
Vivendi Universal Games
Warner Bros.

HD DVD

Dreamworks
Paramount Pictures
Universal Studios

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Paramount and Universal exclusivly release on HD DVD, which to me is the major factor in which one to choose. Paramount always back the Turkey, so its Blue Ray for me!

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Looks like Blu-Ray is the format of the moment...

With Blu-ray rapidly gaining momentum in the next-gen DVD war, UK retailer Woolworths has announced it will stop stocking Toshiba's HD DVD format in stores.

Paramount Home Entertainment announced late Sunday that it had decided to produce movies in the Blu-ray disc format, indicating that the studio may be considering releases of its movies in both next generation DVD formats. The studio had previously said that it would be supporting HD DVD.

Following in the footsteps of Netflix and Best Buy publicly siding with Blu-ray in the next-generation DVD format war, Wal-Mart announced Friday it will no longer be stocking HD DVD players or movies by June.

Universal has officially dispelled the "unsubstantiated rumors from unnamed sources" that it will switch from HD DVD to Blu-ray.

On Tuesday, Paramount officially denied rumors that it will break its exclusivity with HD DVD and switch to Blu-ray.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Paramount and Universal exclusivly release on HD DVD, which to me is the major factor in which one to choose.

That will change when HD-DVD is officially declared dead next week.

Think you'll see the likes of Bourne Ultimatium on Blu-ray within three months.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
This whole format war means nothing to me, when a growing proportion of people download everything they watch for nothing.

Dunno why the film distributors are not offering a legal way of doing this like the music model already does?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
HD-DVD was always looking lame when Microsoft decided to not included it in the standard box. tens of thousands of installed PS3 means tens of thousands of homes that can watch Bluray which was always going to be a massive advantage in the disc sales. Sony learnt from Betamax that early adoption is the key to success.

This whole format war means nothing to me, when a growing proportion of people download everything they watch for nothing.

Dunno why the film distributors are not offering a legal way of doing this like the music model already does?

It has been said that Microsoft backed HD-DVD to create a format war, but only half heartedly so that downloads could sneak through the middle. Downloads use servers and that at the end of the day is MS's meat and drink. However, there is a big difference between song downloads and movie downloads, about 10x the size. That costs money, with distibution costs moved from the wholesaler and retail channels back to the studios. i dont see widespread use of downloads for films any time soon until the studios get savvy with the concepts of torrents, which they are currently fighting.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
It has been said that Microsoft backed HD-DVD to create a format war, but only half heartedly so that downloads could sneak through the middle. Downloads use servers and that at the end of the day is MS's meat and drink.

Slightly risky betting on something where you have only about a third of the market, though.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Slightly risky betting on something where you have only about a third of the market, though.

That depends what it's a third of. A third of a £100 billion market would be pretty safe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here