Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

hawes last commentery?

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
First we lose four games on the bounce and now we find that Hawesy has gone to find another job that doesn't try and hang him for a small error, totally GUTTED.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Sad news indeed. Hawesy has provided a real touch of class and eloquence to Albion coverage and has it really been 10 years now? Amazing.

I hope he's moving onto something better, although often in live 'different' often means 'better'. Albion's media coverage will be worse for his absence.

Congratulations go out once again to the precious ones of NSC who got all precious over Lickergate-you must be feeling very proud seeing us lose the best commentator I've heard on local radio. Well done :angry:

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
Just got in from the match and this news has topped off the night, well gutted to lose him, he's going to be missed :(

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
Personally I am gutted Hawesy has resigned. A top commentator, who will be extremely difficult to replace; but also a top bloke who is liked by everyone: management, players, fans et al. I wanted to say thanks to Hawesy on behalf of all Albion fans, but professional to the last he asked me not to mention it. So I'll say it here instead. Cheers Hawesy!

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
What a choker, I have always thought he was a brilliant commentator. It was so easy to see there was so much dedication to his work. Who ever they get to replace him it will never be the same without Hawsey, even none match days you could tell the Albion sports news on SCR was written by Hawsey.

Good things always come to an end, let's hope he moves on to somewhere were he will get treated better than he was at SCR over that lickergate crap.
I wish he would change his mind. If you read this Hawsey thanks for all the great reporting you done on the Albion, you are an Albion legend and will never be forgotten.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
woke up and still cant really believe it. if the bbc has any sense he will go on to much bigger and better things,if there is a better radio commentator of a football game on a saturday i have not heard him (her). good luck and thanks for the memories :thumbsup:

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
Most exciting commentator for a football match since Barry Davies in the 70s, got truly going when the goals went in and I love that, hate the knowlingly Motson way of commentating like he knew what was about to happen. A class act and it definitely wont be the same without him.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Personally I am gutted Hawesy has resigned. A top commentator, who will be extremely difficult to replace; but also a top bloke who is liked by everyone: management, players, fans et al. I wanted to say thanks to Hawesy on behalf of all Albion fans, but professional to the last he asked me not to mention it. So I'll say it here instead. Cheers Hawesy!

Totally gutted - A complete legend:bowdown:

Good luck for the future!

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
Foolishly started a thread on Hawesy without reading this but will have my tuppenceworth here anyway!

As a Seagull in exile who listens religiously to the match commentaries on SCR/SW I am very saddened to learn Hawesey will no longer be the chief at the mic. Really did an excellent job in my opinion. Don't like to offend anyone but the bloke that stood in for him during Lickergate was shite muchly.

Good luck in you future endeavours Hawesy, you should go far. Your dulcet tones and top class coverage of the Albion will be sorely missed. This is my personal Hawesy fave.

YouTube - Rare Footage!! - Molango scores for Brighton

Having just about fallen asleep with the drivel of the game and then the 'MA will get it right' brigade, I was startled from my slumber when Harty made the announcement.

Hawsey was and is an excellent radio commentator and we will miss the quality and assured way he helped us all enjoy the highs of being an Albion 'radio' fan.

He is certainly better than a 'Legue 1' commentator amd deserves to go on to bigger and better things.

Thanks for everything Hawsey :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
While at SCR I always maintained that the most talented person at that station was Andrew Hawes - not just in sport, but across the whole of SCR - and his loss is immense, but I wish him the best for the future. He's hugely capable and will be an excellent asset wherever he ends up.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
He is a great loss to us. THought he was one of the best descibers of the game plus he conveyed an enthusiasm which was very much appreciated by non football going listeners. I know many old folk who loved istening to him and felt they were there at Withdean.

I am sure he deserves a higher profile in the media world. Can't say I blame him for looking for something better after his shameful treatment by BBC SCR. Don't think it was helpful either when he was doing the phone in when Harty was still away to be told by a listener that he was no good at the phone in. I believe that listener posts on here. He should hang his head in shame. Hawesy as ever was doing his job in a very professional manner.

Good luck Hawesy. You will be missed. Saturday afternoons will never be the same for many.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here