Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Have you stopped giving a toss?

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
After a particularly lengthy standoff between my dogs and a black and white cat on this mornings stroll, I sang, (out loud), "you've seen the cat now f*** off home" X2. I then walked off chuckling to myself at how witty I am, while dragging the dogs behind. All this happened next to a bus stop with two humans looking on.
Do we stop caring so much about what others think as we get older, or is it just me?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
After a particularly lengthy standoff between my dogs and a black and white cat on this mornings stroll, I sang, (out loud), "you've seen the cat now f*** off home" X2. I then walked off chuckling to myself at how witty I am, while dragging the dogs behind. All this happened next to a bus stop with two humans looking on.
Do we stop caring so much about what others think as we get older, or is it just me?
Let me check with the two people who have called me (i) offensive and (ii) unprofessional in my email dealings with them during the last month....

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Let me check with the two people who have called me (i) offensive and (ii) unprofessional in my email dealings with them during the last month....
I should point out that you are an academic, where being a miserable bastard is seen as a positive trait!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

Surely you should have been singing "You've seen the dogs, now f*** off home" to the cat? Otherwise you are telling your own dogs to f*** off.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You'll be disappointed with your lack of follow-up "You're going home in a Sussex omnibus"

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think it's more nuanced. I care little about how I'm perceived these days, much less than ever. But I also think I'm more placid and less gripey than ever too. My work emails are an example. They are full of humour and it seems I can make light of any subject. I wondered how folk would respond, perhaps even see it unprofessional, until a senior bod told me how much they love my weekly updates. I think I'm enjoying growing older.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Zef jr used to laugh out loud at Grandad Brian for calling it as he see's it and just not giving a toss. . . He was retired relaxed and happy . . . I'm not there yet but it's definitely something I aspire to.

We're all anti-establishment ✊🏽

Some of the people I work with are total cockwombles and I'm no longer afraid to say it. So I think I'm on the right track.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I should point out that you are an academic, where being a miserable bastard is seen as a positive trait!
Sadly we are overrun with administrators. I have spent 3 months trying to sort out a PhD studentship with around 10 different people in charge of different aspects (programme approval, funding approval, contracts) of paperwork only to find that all the changes in the badly written draft I requested to be fixed weren't made. I pointed out that the title of the project is not in English. Turns out my modeler collaborator has had no access to college emails for 3 months. And nobody noticed. Turns out also that mentioning that something isn't in English (along with some other comments such as 'this isn't so much a PhD project as a technical exercise' along with good suggestions for resolution) is 'offensive'. Well, f*** that.

Separately we have an important requirement to manage students who appeal their degree result, or the outcome of a disciplinary hearing. This is all managed by administrators. They send repeated emails asking for volunteers to sit on the ad hoc committees. When we reply we are sent an automatic passive-aggressive reply saying they will 'endeavour' (big Morse fans, obviously) to reply in a week. Then they send more hand-wringy emails about need for volunteers. I commented that it would help if they turned their permanent 'out of office' message off and actually managed the process by replying to individuals in a timely and efficient manner. I was accused of being abusive (in a reply that was sent more than seven days after my email). I tried to explain the difference between a reasonable degree of exasperation and abuse. I have yet to receive a reply. Apparently these people are very busy. My job is research and teaching - a rather unimportant aspect of university activity today, it would seem.

Deluded entitled ****s the lot of them.

That said, as I get older I may actually be mellowing. Twenty years ago was sent tomfoolery (inviting me to explore new college web pages on upscaling student experience fulfillment quality assurance, or somesuch bolleaux). I asked why I should do this and they invited me to explore the New college fulfillment experience directorate web page to find out why. I responded with 'am I here for your benefit or are you here for mine?'. I was sent an email demanding an apology, ccd to the Principle of the University. Christ. My reply was one of those ambiguous constructs, acknowledging their 'extraordinary contribution' etc. They seemed happy with that.

****s.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sadly we are overrun with administrators. I have spent 3 months trying to sort out a PhD studentship with around 10 different people in charge of different aspects (programme approval, funding approval, contracts) of paperwork only to find that all the changes in the badly written draft I requested to be fixed weren't made. I pointed out that the title of the project is not in English. Turns out my modeler collaborator has had no access to college emails for 3 months. And nobody noticed. Turns out also that mentioning that something isn't in English (along with some other comments such as 'this isn't so much a PhD project as a technical exercise' along with good suggestions for resolution) is 'offensive'. Well, f*** that.

Separately we have an important requirement to manage students who appeal their degree result, or the outcome of a disciplinary hearing. This is all managed by administrators. They send repeated emails asking for volunteers to sit on the ad hoc committees. When we reply we are sent an automatic passive-aggressive reply saying they will 'endeavour' (big Morse fans, obviously) to reply in a week. Then they send more hand-wringy emails about need for volunteers. I commented that it would help if they turned their permanent 'out of office' message off and actually managed the process by replying to individuals in a timely and efficient manner. I was accused of being abusive (in a reply that was sent more than seven days after my email). I tried to explain the difference between a reasonable degree of exasperation and abuse. I have yet to receive a reply. Apparently these people are very busy. My job is research and teaching - a rather unimportant aspect of university activity today, it would seem.

That said, as I get older I may actually be mellowing. Twenty years ago was sent tomfoolery (inviting me to explore new college web pages on upscaling student experience fulfillment quality assurance, or somesuch bolleaux). I asked why I should do this and they invited me to explore the New college fulfillment experience directorate web page to find out why. I responded with 'am I here for your benefit or are you here for mine?'. I was sent an email demanding an apology, ccd to the Principle of the University. Christ. My reply was one of those ambiguous constructs, acknowledging their 'extraordinary contribution' etc. They seemed happy with that.

****s.
You're magnificent when you're angry Harold :lolol: :bowdown:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

****s.
Could you get the highlighted fields in your next email then report back to us ?

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Being married for over forty years and having two daughters, I've become accustomed to not giving a toss what people think of me....the skin is thick so it is

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022

****s.
I find it most amusing to wonder how you would get on with those tasks if said administrators weren’t there. As who would be doing them? You guys instead of doing your research and teaching? The jobs don’t disappear.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
IMG_1649.jpeg

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Of course, you care what people think. You’ve literally posted your opinion on a football message board to gauge others opinions.
;)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here