Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you saved enough money for your retirement?

jail bird

Oct 19, 2003
sin bin
fatboy said:
What is to stop me now marrying a very old age pensioner with not much life left in her and claiming half her pension for the rest of my life?

the way your body's packing in at the moment Andy, she'll probably out live you

:p

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Final salary and in the Railway Pension Scheme (RPS). Bearing in mind I am forty unlikely I will ever have the ambition or the will to move to another job.

Sometimes this can be very demotivating as I now work for a private company however, so far, things have been OK and I started a new job this week within same company.

My employer would dearly like it that they could stop me being in the RPS - thankfully the Railway Privatisation Act of Parliament prevents them :lolol: :lolol:

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
I heard that if you give up smoking, and stick the cash you'd otherwise spend on ciggies in a high interest account (ie a fiver a day) by the time you're 65 you'd have saved over a million quid!

Not that I've done that. Am a self-employed 32-year-old, no pension, not even putting money aside for tax atm, can't afford to. f***ed, quite frankly, and a wee bit worried. :(

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
fatboy said:
What is to stop me now marrying a very old age pensioner with not much life left in her and claiming half her pension for the rest of my life?

Very few female pensioners would have a final salary scheme. Ladies of that age didn't go out to work because their husbands were expected to keep them.

You'll just have to work for a living instead. :shootself

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yeah stop avoiding the issue Fatboy - you will have to work at some stage.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
fatboy said:

It'll depend on the type of Annuity that the said OAP has bought. If she got a single life policy you won't get anything. Even if she had a joint life policy, it'll rather depend on the rules of the pension scheme as to whether you would get your grubby mits on her pension once she is dead. Prior to 1997 policies mainly had named spouses, however after 1997 "any-spouse" policies are the (legal) norm for contracted out benefits so you'd probably get something (although if they are currently retired and did make post '97 contributions it'll be bugger all).

Pensions and Annuities are extremely complicated, mainly because the Government periodically changes the rules regarding contracted out benefits ('88 and '97 being key dates) but leaves the rules prior to the cut off date the same.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Curious Orange said:
It'll depend on the type of Annuity that the said OAP has bought. If she got a single life policy you won't get anything. Even if she had a joint life policy, it'll rather depend on the rules of the pension scheme as to whether you would get your grubby mits on her pension once she is dead. Prior to 1997 policies mainly had named spouses, however after 1997 "any-spouse" policies are the (legal) norm for contracted out benefits so you'd probably get something (although if they are currently retired and did make post '97 contributions it'll be bugger all).

Pensions and Annuities are extremely complicated, mainly because the Government periodically changes the rules regarding contracted out benefits ('88 and '97 being key dates) but leaves the rules prior to the cut off date the same.

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: Nothing Personal.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
eastlondonseagull said:
I heard that if you give up smoking, and stick the cash you'd otherwise spend on ciggies in a high interest account (ie a fiver a day) by the time you're 65 you'd have saved over a million quid!

Ah!! But if you smoke more than 10 cigarettes a day for the 10 years prior to retirement you'll qualify for a smoker annuity, much better than standard rates!!

staylor1234

Sep 3, 2004
portslade
self employed i pay £40 a month into a pension.just got a letter estimating income when i retire in 24 years £1.100 ayear .i have been paying it for six years ,someones taking the piss i think:nono:

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
jail bird said:
the way your body's packing in at the moment Andy, she'll probably out live you

:p

:D:D:D

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Yorkie said:
Very few female pensioners would have a final salary scheme. Ladies of that age didn't go out to work because their husbands were expected to keep them.

You'll just have to work for a living instead. :shootself

Are gay marriages legal yet?

Yorkie said:
The best protection for my old age though is my toyboy husband who will be in full time work until I am 85
:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:
Have you told him this?

Has he agreed the deal?

Watch out, though. If they ever legalise same-sex marriages, there'll be dozens of old men chasing after Ned. He looks like a much better bet than fatboy.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Last edited:

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Beach Hut said:
Yeah stop avoiding the issue Fatboy - you will have to work at some stage.

No chance.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
fatboy said:
Are gay marriages legal yet?

No, but that is a legal grey area as far as annuities are concerned. With contracted out benefits the "spouses" annuity actually go to the "dependant", the person who is financial dependant on the annuitant. It was causing a lot of umming and ahhing in the life assurance industry when I left it.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I will be glad if I am still alive at pensionable age. My father died of cancer just before he was due to retire. My maxim is live for today - tomorrow is a bonus.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Lord Bracknell said:
Have you told him this?

Has he agreed the deal?

Watch out, though. If they ever legalise same-sex marriages, there'll be dozens of old men chasing after Ned. He looks like a much better bet than fatboy.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

He agreed the deal when he put that wedding ring on my finger.

I'll fight the rest of them off with my walking stick :lolol: :lolol:

Gullet

Feb 8, 2004
Bevendean
I'd like to know where the Government think we are going to get all this extra cash to pay for a decent pension. All the extra stealth taxes that have been brought in, added to the rise in interest rates which means that I am paying nearly £50 a month more for my mortgage since Xmas, plus the yearly rise in council tax means that I am worse off than I have been for years. I even had to take a pay drop in the summer to protect my job because my firm was going through a tough time. Just trying to survive the present is bad enough without worrying about the future.
:(

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Curious Orange said:
No, but that is a legal grey area as far as annuities are concerned. With contracted out benefits the "spouses" annuity actually go to the "dependant", the person who is financial dependant on the annuitant. It was causing a lot of umming and ahhing in the life assurance industry when I left it.

Right, anyone know any old gay men with a final salary pension scheme and not much life left in them?

Preferably one that knows how to perform surgery to remove a prolapsed disc.

??? :D :jester:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Gullet said:
I'd like to know where the Government think we are going to get all this extra cash to pay for a decent pension. All the extra stealth taxes that have been brought in, added to the rise in interest rates which means that I am paying nearly £50 a month more for my mortgage since Xmas, plus the yearly rise in council tax means that I am worse off than I have been for years. I even had to take a pay drop in the summer to protect my job because my firm was going through a tough time. Just trying to survive the present is bad enough without worrying about the future.
:(

That's why I think it is extremely arrogant of this government to blame people for not saving enough for their pension and putting the blame on people rather than saying they have to put up taxes to protect the old (who have been paying into the Welfare State since 1948)

Aneurin Bevan must be turning in his grave.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here