Votes: 7 7.2%
  • I'm under 30 and I haven't

Votes: 13 13.4%

• Total voters

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It is easier to watch the film. For non-football supporters, this is the best explanation of the football supporter's world. Not prefect, but it rings a chord with me.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
but the film was utter, utter shite. The book, albeit about one of my most loathed clubs, was a thing of beauty. I understand the agony, despair, joy and just about every other emotion the fella felt.

Admittedly, Hornby kind of ruined it afterwards by writing a string of shit, middle class holiday tat (High Fidelity aside)

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
It is easier to watch the film. For non-football supporters, this is the best explanation of the football supporter's world. Not prefect, but it rings a chord with me.

Lord! The film was appalling!

It's a great book.

No doubt we're going to get the accusations of the MIDDLE CLASSES flying around soon but IMHO that's bollocks. Hornby seemed to have had a very normal English upbringing and he loved his football, which he managed to put into words very well.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
That said, I haven't read it for about 18 years so perhaps it isn't as good as I remember it!

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
hell yeah, really took me back to my youth what with tales of midweek afternoon cup replays and the like. It's the only book I have ever read twice. Never seen the film.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
The part that sticks in my mind most from the book is his sudden realisation that his current Arsenal idol, David Rocastle, is younger than him and that one day he'd be an old man worshipping teenagers pulling on the shirt.

no81skint

Apr 27, 2007
Coventry
Film and book just different to be honest. Film helped to explain my obsession to others, although it takes me back to a dark, dark time following the Albion.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Great book. Especially as it doesn't harp on about how exciting football related violence is.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Read it last month on holiday as it happens. He does come across as a bit of a glory supporter but well akrth the read.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
but the film was utter, utter shite. The book, albeit about one of my most loathed clubs, was a thing of beauty. I understand the agony, despair, joy and just about every other emotion the fella felt.

Admittedly, Hornby kind of ruined it afterwards by writing a string of shit, middle class holiday tat (High Fidelity aside)

It's a great book.

He has written a string of really funny, well written books since despite your snobby dismissal.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Bollocks.

It's AN explanation. The film wasn't shit, it just wasn't a representation of the book, as the book, in truth, was fundamentally unfilmable. It's an adaptation of a slice of Hornby's book.

The book, however, lifted the football-writing genre out of fantasy and into a kind of intelligent, reasoned way of describing emotions (even if the subject matter was a bit nerdy - but then there's plenty on here like that).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here