Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Have you put the heating on yet? (2022/23 edition)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Log Store is pretty full! Part of the joy of winter months is hunkering down by a log fire in the evening.

More to the point we have a shed load of building work done at Jakarta Towers over the years (some planned, some - er - unplanned).

Every time we have work done more & more insulation seems to go in, plus every single window is now double glazed.

As consequence the house is definitely warmer than when we moved here in 2001. A decent combi boiler bought around 10 years ago hasn't harmed either

Good work.

I miss a log fire. As you say, one of the joys of a winter time.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
4C9BEF60-C4FE-45CD-A623-5C69ED41A75C.jpegView attachment 152585

Ready.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The last few winters since being back in a rented place I have been very careful. Rarely putting the heating on for fear the landlord would raise the rent to cover excess usage.

My bills are included in the rent.

I’m saving for a live aboard boat to get out of the rental market and retire early to spend my days travelling the waterways of Britain and France so I don’t want to spend anything more right now than I absolutely have to. Within reason, obviously. I don’t want to live in a hovel.

Anyway they raised it last month to pass on their costs to their 450 ( yes, 450) tenants making sure that they don’t have to pay an extra penny while we pay all the extra costs. They are also pocketing all the government help, as far as I know. It’s certainly not coming to us.

So now they can go **** themselves. The heating is on anytime I feel chilly. No more winters in blankets for me.

Quite.

Best wishes for your plans :thumbsup:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The last few winters since being back in a rented place I have been very careful. Rarely putting the heating on for fear the landlord would raise the rent to cover excess usage.

My bills are included in the rent.

I’m saving for a live aboard boat to get out of the rental market and retire early to spend my days travelling the waterways of Britain and France so I don’t want to spend anything more right now than I absolutely have to. Within reason, obviously. I don’t want to live in a hovel.

Anyway they raised it last month to pass on their costs to their 450 ( yes, 450) tenants making sure that they don’t have to pay an extra penny while we pay all the extra costs. They are also pocketing all the government help, as far as I know. It’s certainly not coming to us.

So now they can go **** themselves. The heating is on anytime I feel chilly. No more winters in blankets for me.

Excellent all round to your place! Do you serve food and drink as well?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Good work.

I miss a log fire. As you say, one of the joys of a winter time.

I havnt got a log fire …but the fire pit might be used a few times, as ive a few customers that have trees that need felling (dead ones..the trees not the customers)…i might have to look at buying a few bits so i can cook and heat water over it

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Excellent all round to your place! Do you serve food and drink as well?

Haha! I’ll rustle up a prawn ring and a cheese hedgehog. Do people still like cocktail sausages? 80% rusk okay?

Drinks wise I have some Hoffmeister and a Party7.

Let’s get this ****ing party started.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Depressed to see that my gas central heating alone in our house is now eating £3 an hour :nono:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Dunno about turning the heating on yet...might need to update the thread to have you shut your windows and stopped wearing shorts and a t-shirt yet??

Barmy weather out there today, just walked the dog and it is hotter than it was in August.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Heating has been "on" all month but I don't think it's come on at all. Currently using ca. 30% less gas this month than October 2021, but the cost is about 170% higher... (i.e. unit cost is 270/70 = ca. 4x)

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Depressed to see that my gas central heating alone in our house is now eating £3 an hour :nono:
How do you manage that?! We spent £1.83 on gas yesterday, a fairly typical October day. (Plus standing charge.)

Or are you talking about business premises?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Nope 1.5 hours in quite a large house

We've managed to keep our October gas usage down to 239 kWh thus far. Most days it's been on twice a day for 15 minutes for hot water and we put the heating on for three chilly mornings just to warm things a little. Assuming we don't need the heating again in the next few days, we'll be at about 240 kWh for the whole month.

We didn't track gas usage this time last year, but the Hugo Energy app allows me to look back and I can see we used more around five times that last October with 1.212 kWh.

Looking into the middle of winter we had a few days nudging 200 kWh in a single 24 hours. Gas is something like 10p/kWh right now isn't it? If we use our heating to the same degree, it's going to be pricey even with the capped price in place!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Not turned the heating on at all yet, even though we have had a couple of cold mornings and 1 frost. We have the log fire going in the lounge on non sunny days like today, the 2 back bedrooms and kitchen are south facing so they warm up nicely when the sun comes out. Our bedroom is freezing cold, but as we only sleep in there we are not that bothered at the moment. The thermostat is in the hallway where there is a draught which we are trying to find the source of and the lowest temp I have observed in there is 16 so far. Will just carry on like this until the days are consistently in single figures outside but when we do turn the heating on, I will set the temp to 17 to see how we get on.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
It seems my use of a gas guzzling, bunny hugger annoying 4x4's over the last 30 years has managed to change the climate enough that I shouldn't need to use the GCH until next year!
Firmly tongue in cheek, but every cloud etc

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Some people here are harder than me. 🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here