Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you had Covid-19 ......Could you share your experience?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Very clear advice from medics today on both BBC TV and Radio:

A persistent/relentless dry cough and a high temperature (fever), likely to be COVID-19.

With other symptoms such as a runny nose or sneezing, almost certainly not COVID-19.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
No positive diagnosis, but just spoken to a GP who says that it sounds more likely than not that I have corona, so here’s my experience:

About a week ago I got a bit of a cough, not much of one, but a dry, unproductive cough, although I wasn’t coughing particularly frequently, maybe once an hour or so. Then, last Thursday I had a splitting headache all day and a sore throat too. I left work early as paracetamol didn’t even take the edge of this headache. That evening it was announced that those with either a fever or persistent cough should self isolate. My cough hadn’t gone away and was becoming more frequent, so I thought I ought to self isolate. I had body aches, mainly in my back and sides at night, but no fever at all. I was checking my temperature fairly frequently and it did fluctuate, I’m usually around 36-36.5C, but I was getting up into the low 37C range, which is high for me.

Over the weekend I was still short of breath and had a tight chest, particularly at night and the aching continued, so I didn’t sleep that well.

By Sunday I was starting to feel a bit better, still a bit short of breath, but not too bad. Then over the last day or two I’ve become shorter of breath, to the extent that I now sound a bit like Marlon Brando in the Godfather when I try to talk. I’m also feeling really tired. In the last few hours the breathing has become more difficult, especially when trying to hold a conversation. So my wife called our local GP surgery and I ended up speaking with a GP. They told me that they are seeing quite a few cases that have this 2nd wave of breathlessness around a week after the first symptoms. At the moment I feel that I can deal with this well enough at home, so unless the breathing becomes particularly problematic I’m going to try to see this out at home.

I am asthmatic, not particularly bad and usually only pollen induced, but I do take 1 puff of the preventer (brown inhaler) once a day. I’ve upped the dosage to twice a day in the last few days. Weirdly, although I feel short of breath, it feels very different to when I’m short of breath with asthma. When the asthma is bad I’m very wheezy, you can hear my chest wheezing and rattling. I’m not experiencing any of that, it’s strange but although it feels like I’m breathing normally it seems that I’m not able to get as much air in as usual.

As I said, I don’t feel unwell, just short of breath and quite tired. Hopefully I can see this through the next few days without it getting any worse, then it should start to improve.

Once I’m over this I hope that it’s not long until there’s a test to categorically prove whether I’ve had it. If I can be sure that I can’t infect anyone else then I feel there’s an important role to play in the local community.

I've had a similar experience. Started with a dry cough last Wednesday, which was also perhaps a few every hour or so, rather than constant. On Thursday I had a massive headache that I just couldn't shake for a few days. I also noticed my chest was tight and it was really uncomfortable and difficult to sleep. On Friday I had a temperature, and just spent the day in bed, but I've had far worse in the past. The temp only lasted a day though. I feel generally fine, but even now, a week on my chest is still quite uncomfortable and I notice myself taking deeper breaths. Easy to feel like you're over thinking it but with my Nan being very poorly in hospital and as I was working from home anyway I've kept isolated just to be safe. The advice is you can go out a week after first showing symptons, so I'm taking that as tomorrow, although feel slightly nervous about it given my chest is still hurting.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Very clear advice from medics today on both BBC TV and Radio:

A persistent/relentless dry cough and a high temperature (fever), likely to be COVID-19.

With other symptoms such as a runny nose or sneezing, almost certainly not COVID-19.

Hello

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Self-isolating for the next week.
I'm pretty sure you need to self-isolate for longer than that, and if you live with anyone, they should all self-isolate too.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Hi [MENTION=30242]spence[/MENTION]. Hope you are well.

Have you had refunds for the holidays/flights you booked for later this year?

Haven't applied yet. Heads up that EasyJet have released there winter flights early. Suppose to be April. Got good prices to Prague in November.

Not worried about my bookings with easyjet. More concerned about booking hotels from online agents like Booking.com. Not sure where i stand with them. They haven't mentioned anything themselves about the virus.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I'm pretty sure you need to self-isolate for longer than that, and if you live with anyone, they should all self-isolate too.

Very much this. Totally pointless self isolating for a week. Just go about your normal everyday business as this virus will be sticking around a lot longer yet.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Haven't applied yet. Heads up that EasyJet have released there winter flights early. Suppose to be April. Got good prices to Prague in November.

Not worried about my bookings with easyjet. More concerned about booking hotels from online agents like Booking.com. Not sure where i stand with them. They haven't mentioned anything themselves about the virus.

A friend showed me that email from EasyJet today.

I realise you’re an experienced traveller, but I wouldn’t fall for their marketing and book yet. They’re looking to gain our cashflow, even if they have to return it in 6 months time.

It may well take 12 to 18 months for airports/flights/holidays to resume again, obviously both states at the start and end of the flight need to be restriction free for the bargain holiday to come off.

I’ll be booking flights as soon as this is definitely over.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
A friend showed me that email from EasyJet today.

I realise you’re an experienced traveller, but I wouldn’t fall for their marketing and book yet. They’re looking to gain our cashflow, even if they have to return it in 6 months time.

It may well take 12 to 18 months for airports/flights/holidays to resume again, obviously both states at the start and end of the flight need to be restriction free for the bargain holiday to come off.

I’ll be booking flights as soon as this is definitely over.

I guess it's a bit of a gamble. A gamble i'm prepared to make as it wasn't very much but covered by credit card insurance i believe as it was over £100

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Hotels.com and booking.com normally have very generous cancellation terms, where they scrap the booking altogether where you cancel within a certain number of days beforehand, with a zero hit to your card. Just need to check the original email and act in good time.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Hotels.com and booking.com normally have very generous cancellation terms, where they scrap the booking altogether where you cancel within a certain number of days beforehand, with a zero hit to your card. Just need to check the original email and act in good time.

I'm holding out as long as i can for my trip to Croatia at the end of April, If i'm allowed to travel and enter. Split i will. That's providing my holiday insurance covers me as i buy a yearly one.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Recommendation is 7 days, but I will extend it beyond that to probably 14. Chinese friend was telling me that there it is 14 days AFTER symptoms have gone.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have heard numerous coronavirus tales involving ski trips (including the original Brighton super-spreader and someone I know personally here in the US). It could simply be coincidence but I do wonder if there is something about the activity of skiing, or the environment, that lends itself to the efficient spread of the virus.

I went skiing in January. It was the only week since the start of December when I felt relatively well :shrug:. Regardless of Coronavirus, there is some weird shit about.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Recommendation is 7 days, but I will extend it beyond that to probably 14. Chinese friend was telling me that there it is 14 days AFTER symptoms have gone.

Explains why a Chinese friend today told me there is no shortage of toilet paper where she lives. My first thought was 'bidet' but the actual answer was 'it has gone, now'. Sorry if I'm side tracking - so many covi threads now it is hard to focus.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
So just read an email from my mother, apparently she got it last week but didnt want to worry me.

She told me it was considered "mild" but she still had some quite serious breathing difficulties. She was pretty surprised how strong it was compared to the common cold, but aside from the breathing she felt it was easier to deal with than the flu. She noticed that her two friends had much less problems with short breath and believed maybe her slight obesity played a big part.

She is fine though and actually very, very happy that she got it now and not later since she's working as a intensive care coordinator and quite likely would have got it sooner or later anyway being unable to work when the peak comes. Now she'll just be home for another week and then get going. Relief for me as well since I will be able to visit her in the coming months, which would have been a bad idea otherwise.

Really dont want this virus after reading her description though. She's been working in healthcare since she was 16 and seen most shit and had a few health issues of her own yet still thought it was a scary experience (maybe partly because of the 'hype' but also because a lack of oxygen is scary in a way that some serious diseases arent).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm holding out as long as i can for my trip to Croatia at the end of April, If i'm allowed to travel and enter. Split i will. That's providing my holiday insurance covers me as i buy a yearly one.

I'd go through the smallprint with a fine toothed comb chap. Those bandits will squirm out of ANYTHING, any which way they can. And this current gubbins will have them crawling over whatever they can to f*ck you over.

Insurers are generally cheating filth. Thats your mandatory starting point.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I'd go through the smallprint with a fine toothed comb chap. Those bandits will squirm out of ANYTHING, any which way they can. And this current gubbins will have them crawling over whatever they can to f*ck you over.

Insurers are generally cheating filth. Thats your mandatory starting point.

Totally get what you are saying. Luckily i've only had good experience so far with them when i was hospitalised while in Turkey for 3 days. This was an online company not very big at that but no longer exists.

Now use Boots and declare absolutely everything by phone even if it bumps up the price. Yes i know can could get cheaper elsewhere but i don't think risking online companies only again.

The health care i got in Turkey once i got the all clear with my insurance company at the time was phenomenal. I was treated so well and i'm sure the Turks milked it.

One thing i will never do which i have foolishly done in the past is to travel without cover. Simply not worth it to save a few bucks or have a stinge attack.

No you're wrong.

Or so the Premier League have time to sort out all the controversy surrounding VAR and can get it right, ready for the last 10 games of the

By jove , you've cracked it !!

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Those who have it seem to have a different responses to the symptoms. Wife’s friend of a friend is a GP and has had it (she was tested) . She said she had flu over Christmas and that was much worse. But have heard others have been hit quite hard. I’m very mildly asthmatic and the tightness of breathing is a concern.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here