Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you ever...

Have you ever called a Chinaman a 'chink'?

• Yes, I have.

Votes: 140 63.1%
  • No, I have not.

Votes: 82 36.9%

• Total voters

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Wow just wow! My son is half HK Chinese and if anyone called him Chink or any other "banter" type names I would punch their lights out simple as that. Oh sorry it wasn't ment to be offensive? Well you wont mind me calling you a pencil dicked micro brained know nothing racist then will you? Not being offensive its just what we call people.
I accept that the term is now deemed unacceptable. But isn't racism dependent upon a feeling of superiority? In past decades, the term 'chinky' meant having a lovely meal to me, my friends and most of the other people I knew. We were ignorant of any associated hurt we may have caused and probably a bit naive. I personally would have been distraught to find that i was using an offensive term, particularly as i have wonderful Asian family myself. I wonder if the word has taken a more pejorative meaning in the following years?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Things change. Folk may not have meant offence in the past. My dad (born in the 1920s) referred to our nice neighbour as a ‘Jew-boy’ in the 1960s. I didn’t even realize it was a recognised slur until I was living in Canada in the 1980s (I thought it was just one of his silly made up words – he had lots). The Canadians were a bit ahead of the curve over racism at the time – probably because of the raving racism of some of the older (white) generation there, and its incongruity in a country which was, and still is, more immigrant than ‘native’. It was not meant to be offensive. But can you imagine anyone using it today about our chairman, for example? We move on. Sadly, Whelan, who is an old man, hasn’t. People on average don’t much like change, whatever it is; if someone grew up thinking ‘chink’ ‘p***’ and ‘n****r’ were OK words, they probably still do a bit, even if only in a private moment, and resent being told off about it. And there is the usual ‘banter’ defence if challenged. The acceptable and unacceptable words change (I don’t need to give examples) and if you can’t keep up with what is acceptable, stand by to get it in the neck, especially if you take it outside the privacy of your own locked lavatory.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
So Paki is a shortened version of Pakistani, but what does that shortening signify culturally, socially, historically? If it has become used as a derogatory term to signify racial prejudice, then the word itself contains it's own symbolism beyond the fact it is merely a shortened word - hence in that context it is completely different from Scot being shortened from Scottish.”

I've always thought "Paki" was taken as an insult to anyone who was not actually from Pakistan? Seem to remember an Indian boy tell me that due to their mutual hatred for each other.

So much of all this sort of language is historic, and my best friend in primary school called himself half-caste, but years later I was told this was wrong and mixed-raced was preferred. To which we had an intelligent debate that technically I was mixed raced too and the term was very loose and not particularly descriptive at all. But then he also told me he didn't mind the word "black" as it was descriptive and as long as it wasn't said in malice. I reckon acceptability changes with the times, but now I don't know what to say any more so keep my mouth shut and only say Paddy as I am one.

I also managed to accidentally offend a Torres-straight Islander for using the world "Abo" about 8 years ago on my travels as it was commonly used, until he corrected me.

End of the day, I think we all learn words we shouldn't use and as long as we don't say it in malice people can use the opportunity to educate.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
love this Kraut joke.

Angela Merkel the current chancellor of Germany arrives at a French Border Control post.

"Nationality?" asks the immigration officer.

"German," she replies, rather put out that she hasn't been recognized.

"Occupation?"

"Not this time "'just here for a few days."

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Why is not racist to say Kraut but the other references are

I was thinking about that just after I stoped laughing at the joke. . . .

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Why is not racist to say Kraut but the other references are
Perhaps it's because we often get more offended when insulting terms are used against a group that is perceived as underprivileged? It's one reason political satire doesn't work as well when labour is in power.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
There are three groups of people i detest Chinks,racists and hypocrites. Offter Pub HAPPY NEW YEAR

Camicus

But Kraut is racist! Its very simple you call someone a name because of where they come from religion or colour then your proberly being out of order. Because we are of the same ethnic group as our European chums its proberly a lot less offensive

Dec 15, 2014
Here
I was asked not to use the phrase "Indian giver" the other day. Couldn't understand why it was deemed racist to be honest.

I know in America they believe it refers to Native Americans and has to do with the way their culture treated property. If someone within the tribe needed something many in the tribe considered it communal property. So one native american might "give" something to another but then need it back later. They thought that when someone gave something to someone and then wanted it back they were an "indian giver."

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We live in such an easily offended society that the wrong words can be blown up out of all proportion, usually by do gooders who actually do more harm for a cause than good.
I disagree. However innocent a place many of the jokes and nicknames we used to say came from, they had a lasting effect. Society is changing for the better, and it's helped by the fact that people don't make derogatory remarks as often as they did.

Where do we draw the line, how do we define what should and shouldn't be a crime? I feel slightly sorry for Whelan, he is probably bigoted, and that i detest, but he is as Triggarr (sp.?) said elsewhere, he is a dinosaur and as such has not adapted to the modern world and it's confusing array of multicultural dos and don'ts.
DW hasn't been found guilty of a crime, this decision barely effects him. He's just got to learn that his remarks are offensive to people - and I don't mean do gooders like me, I mean the Jewish and Chinese communities he was referring to.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Wow just wow! My son is half HK Chinese and if anyone called him Chink or any other "banter" type names I would punch their lights out simple as that.
Could you help explain to the hard of learning why you'd find it offensive. The people I'm referring to aren't bad people, they just don't get it. Maybe they think Chink is just like an abbreviation that means no harm :shrug:

When going to get a takeaway that was normal is it any worse than to say I am going for an Indian. I dont think so
Oh good god BG. I'm trying to be calm here (I may have been drinking). You need to start by acknowledging that you're not the most clued up about racism. Then listen to people who are wiser, and try an learn.

The equivalent to saying "I am going for an Indian" would be "I am going for a Chinese".

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I disagree. However innocent a place many of the jokes and nicknames we used to say came from, they had a lasting effect. Society is changing for the better, and it's helped by the fact that people don't make derogatory remarks as often as they did.
It seems to me, that you are almost arguing against yourself here.
Could you help explain to the hard of learning why you'd find it offensive. The people I'm referring to aren't bad people, they just don't get it. Maybe they think Chink is just like an abbreviation that means no harm :shrug:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
How so? (could you spell it out for me, as I don't understand your point).
The first quote quite rightly says that it's a good thing people are not using derogatory, therefore, offensive terms as much as before. The second quote asks why a term should be considered offensive even though apparently it's common knowledge that Chinese people dislike it.

Not trying to pick a fight, I think you are a very good poster.☺

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The second quote asks why a term should be considered offensive
I think you've misread my post (maybe it wasn't worded well). My second quote is meant to ask someone who has a Chinese family, to help explain the problem better than I am able to. I know terms like Chink and Kraut are offensive, but there are many people who don't understand why.

Not trying to pick a fight, I think you are a very good poster.☺
Blimey, thank you :blush:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I think you've misread my post (maybe it wasn't worded well). My second quote is meant to ask someone who has a Chinese family, to help explain the problem better than I am able to. I know terms like Chink and Kraut are offensive, but there are many people who don't understand why.

Blimey, thank you :blush:
Fair enough and you're welcome!

Camicus

Could you help explain to the hard of learning why you'd find it offensive. The people I'm referring to aren't bad people, they just don't get it. Maybe they think Chink is just like an abbreviation that means no harm :shrug:.

To me it would be the same as calling a Indian a P*** or a N***** . Im both an ex soldier and a prison officer so Im not the sensitive type but if you abuse my boy I WILL do you its as simple as that although hes 26 now so can look after himself. He should and is proud of both his British and Chinese roots but all people see is a chink apparently and I cannot tolerate that

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here