Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you ever witnessed history?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I saw Sam and Mark (of X factor fame - they came 2nd and 3rd to Michelle McManus) turn on the Wolverhampton Christmas lights.

I also saw Trevor McDonald in the queue for Mr Bean the movie at Bognor cinema.

Both historic events in the strings household.

Last edited:

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
first league game at the Withdean
first goal of the new millenium
Bobbys debut/first goal

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Not football related, but I was in an Italian resturant in the 70's, after the Eurovision Song Contest in Brighton and these 4 weird looking Swedes came in celebrating their unexpected win.....................does anyone know if wshat happened to them ???

Jamon Jamon

Mar 25, 2008
Not football related, but I was in an Italian resturant in the 70's, after the Eurovision Song Contest in Brighton and these 4 weird looking Swedes came in celebrating their unexpected win.....................does anyone know if wshat happened to them ???

which Italian restaurant? not Mamma Mia's in Preston St was it?

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
:thud:

(Un)interestingly though, I WAS at the home game against San Marino, which we won 6-0.

Was that the game that John Barnes got booed throughout? If so, I was also there as an impressionable teenager and ended the night with a very sore throat (because I'd joined in with the booing, not because I'd gobbled someone).

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
being at London bridge station when the IRA bomb went off, does that count?

I was stationed in Germany, and was due to return to the UK for a course. With 3 days to go, i was told that I would not be on it due to operational requirements. My mate Mick Lang did go, and duly turned up for the ferry booking that we were both due to be on.....2 hours later he was being lifted off the Herald of Free Enterprise by helicopter!!

I was based in Berlin when the wall came down

The unit I was based at in Loughborough was part of the emergency response when the plane crashed onto the M1 just short of East Midlands airport

I was just turning up for work at Lehman's on Monday when the news broke.:eek:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
That 'Gordon Smith' moment.
Was by the Seine for the Mİllenium Fireworks

generally though I have just missed history...... left a station platform 45 minutes before it got blown up by the PKK... in Beirut this year one day before the trouble flared up there.

Was at the first 'earthquake' Madstock though

Was that the game that John Barnes got booed throughout? If so, I was also there as an impressionable teenager and ended the night with a very sore throat (because I'd joined in with the booing, not because I'd gobbled someone).

Didn't John Barnes get booed everytime he played for England? :jester:

May have been. Pretty sure Les FerDINand scored two if that's any help?

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
I was at Crewe this year where for the first time in history "the old Brighton wing swap" actually worked when Mcleod set up Virgo for the first goal!

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
0-0 half time. 7-0 win. Walsall. My kids being born !! thats history. And to anyone at Hove last year Sussex-Yorkshire,the atmosphere when Mushy was bowling at Inzmann. :thumbsup:

Market Porter

Or The Globe
Feb 14, 2008
South Walk
I told Gary Kemp to stick his free tickets as I'd had enough of covering his late shifts. Anyway, who'd want to see a band at Heaven called "Something Ballet?"

Cos I'm sure he'd never heard THAT suggestion before :thud:

He wasn't thinking about it at all when I'd talked with him about it first.
Then he wanted my opinion on it, for which I offered "shit idea musically, if it's like a Genesis reform tour or something, as that's totally not punk. Great idea if you wouldn't mind a much bigger boat"
Then a couple of weeks later I asked him what he was up to, and he said "can't talk about it yet". Naturally I snorted back "ha, so the pistols are getting back togather then".
"how did you know?" (well he ain't exactly known for his iq)

Funny how those candid sorts of chats are, not exactly historically stamped with a seal of nothstandnorth's approval, but just like any other conversation on any other day.

As I witnessed from the VIP area, standing next to a person named 'Flea', they were an accomplished and entertaining act... and quite musically able to play for over an hour - which they certainly weren't in 1977 when I'd first gone to the Marquee, only to decide not to join the huge line to watch them swear and fart around for 15 minutes before starting a fight and sodding off again just to admire the headlines the following day.
(I went to The Nashville and saw Eddie and The Hot Rods instead that night, and they were outstanding, fantastic)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here