Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you ever wished you supported another club?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm not asking if you WOULD, just if you've ever wished you supported another team.

Be they more successful, richer, with a stadium, whatever. It's probably just jealousy, but when even a crappy club with an awful ground like Pompey seem to have gathered some momentum, it's faintly depressing.

I'd never change my allegiance, but I frequently look at other clubs sometimes and think how much easier it would be to support them.

Knowing that I'm going to be sitting in my shitty seat at Withdean for probably another 5 years, knowing that I pay an outrageous amount of money for it, knowing that even when (if) we ever get a new ground and minimise our matchday expenses the club will continue to utterly fleece us. Knowing that EVERY year until we get the mythical stadium will be a continual struggle, for players, for points, for league status.

On days like that I think how much simpler it would be to support a mid table Championship club with a decent ground- even one like Stoke, who aren't going anywhere fast, but at least who don't have the constant stress of NIMBYS, politicians, pompous MPs, threats of financial oblivion.

Although then I think- wouldn't life be dull if I were a Rochdale or Stoke fan.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
Nope, blue and white forever :albion:

D

Deleted member 2719

I know what your saying but how satisfied are we going to be when we do get are new stadium.

Will there ever be so much relief from a set of fans.

Although our fan base has shrunk over the past 10years it is a very strong minded bunch of true supporters left chanting Brighton till i die and meaning it with sincere passion.

We should have a motto over the players walkway at Falmer to describe the long hardship our club has had to face.

Something like "when the going get's tough the tough get going"

Any other suggestions?

:albion: :albion: :albion:

1066gull

If we still had the Goldstone, we probably would be Pompey:down:

curly

Jul 5, 2003
gosport
no, how many fans with their teams stuck in the middle of their league year after year, would love to change places with us, i honestly really am not bothered about going down, it adds to the excitment, and boy its never dull with the mighty seagulls

D

Deleted member 2719

Adriodinho said:
If we still had the Goldstone, we probably would be Pompey:down:

Do you mean someone would have that bloody bell ringing all game.

Hope not.

:D

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I really didn't mean I want to swap clubs. That's never going to happen.

I guess I'm asking if you've ever envied other clubs for their nice grounds, easy life and so on.

Come on, who hasn't looked at another club's shiny new stadium and thought "I wish I supported this lot, life would be so much easier".

Just for a second, mind :lolol:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Saying above the entrance to the pitch "When the going got tough we went to Gillingham for two seasons, then to an Athletics track for "X" years before arriving at the promised land", alternatively we could go for something dead original like "Welcome to Falmer, field of dreams"....

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It should say

"Hereford 1 (Mayo og) Brighton & Hove Albion 1 (Reinelt)"

Lest we forget.

D

Deleted member 2719

edna krabappel said:
I really didn't mean I want to swap clubs. That's never going to happen.

I guess I'm asking if you've ever envied other clubs for their nice grounds, easy life and so on.

Come on, who hasn't looked at another club's shiny new stadium and thought "I wish I supported this lot, life would be so much easier".

Just for a second, mind :lolol:

It can be a corrugated tin shed as far as i am concerned.

Living with Pompey fans all around i do wish we were above them and the way all the managers in the premiership go on about what superfans they have pisses me off.
I remember going to Fratton park when it was as quite as the withdean and they had roofs!
If we were back in top flight with roofs i am sure we would be the superfans.

No being serious I am not worried what our ground looks like as long as we have a roof and it holds in the atmosphere and you can get to the loo a half time without missing most of the second half.

:ascarf:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
No have never really envied other clubs as we at least have the potential to be a Premiership yo-yo club one day, whereas I can't imagine what it must be like to support a club like Bury or Lincoln, knowing they will probabaly never see their club anywhere but the lower divisions.

D

Deleted member 2719

Fragmented Badger said:
Big Fed Turienzo - you know the guy I mean?? Occasionally he parades his body in an Albion shirt, but not very often admittedly. By the time we get to Falmer, McGhee will finally have put him in the team, and his impact will be so monumental that any signage at Falmer will have to be named in his honour - let's face it, the stadium will be his THEATRE:bowdown:

Oh yes i remember him.

But i wouldn't want to hype the lad up too much for him to turn out to be a waste of money!!

:shootself

Gully said:
Saying above the entrance to the pitch "When the going got tough we went to Gillingham for two seasons, then to an Athletics track for "X" years before arriving at the promised land", alternatively we could go for something dead original like "Welcome to Falmer, field of dreams"....
It should have a picture of De Vagpiece,so all the players can hack up a dockers ommlette as they go through.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
edna krabappel said:
I'm not asking if you WOULD, just if you've ever wished you supported another team.

Be they more successful, richer, with a stadium, whatever. It's probably just jealousy, but when even a crappy club with an awful ground like Pompey seem to have gathered some momentum, it's faintly depressing.

I'd never change my allegiance, but I frequently look at other clubs sometimes and think how much easier it would be to support them.

Knowing that I'm going to be sitting in my shitty seat at Withdean for probably another 5 years, knowing that I pay an outrageous amount of money for it, knowing that even when (if) we ever get a new ground and minimise our matchday expenses the club will continue to utterly fleece us. Knowing that EVERY year until we get the mythical stadium will be a continual struggle, for players, for points, for league status.

On days like that I think how much simpler it would be to support a mid table Championship club with a decent ground- even one like Stoke, who aren't going anywhere fast, but at least who don't have the constant stress of NIMBYS, politicians, pompous MPs, threats of financial oblivion.

Although then I think- wouldn't life be dull if I were a Rochdale or Stoke fan.

I know exactly what you mean. But I would say that the pain has been heavily outweighed by the joy, on the league fronts.

I accepted relegation and that was that. The last day survival, the two championships, the playoff victory, defeating the Archer/Belotti regime makes our club an exciting tin pot team, rather than just a tin pot team.

My second ever game, there was a sit in at Southend and there have been battles ever since. I often look at other clubs and think, wow, look at their nice stadium they are going places. Reading an example for one. Nicked the league off them, outplayed them twice but they are now light years ahead of us.

I would never change, as you say Edna, but it is easy to look. I am just going to look and not touch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here