Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

have you ever saved anyone's life?

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
carrying on with my "life/death" tipe threads, has anyone on here ever saved anyone's life?
I talked someone out of suicide, I'm not sure if that counts but thats the closest i've got to it(she said if it wasnt for me, she wouldnt be alive)
ocul;d be an interesting thread..

I once stopped a work colleague from attempting to board a moving train to retrieve his lost glasses. He was pissed at the time, having had a long lunch up in London earlier in the day.

He has now gone on to become Chief Executive of Buckinghamshire County Council - and still tells the story of how I "saved his life".

I should have demanded a sell-on fee.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
sort of (and saved mine)

one bloke who lived opposite our shop was off his head (back pills, and booze), fell over and cracked his head on the road - car coming along didnt see him (poorly lit street, bling corner)-
just got there in time to stop them!

also, on hols, was asleep on a thames barge, woke up,
told to duck! upcoming bridge would have meant sleeping
again, but with the fishes!

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I was watching Kent against Sussex at Tunbridge Wells when the bloke sitting next to me stood up very slowly then collapsed on me. I was a little taken aback, but I spotted an ID bracelet on his wrist which confirmed he was a) diabetic and b) German.

Then me and the famous West Indian batsman and former Sussex coach Desmond Haynes carried him up the stairs and into the dressing room where we fed him lots of sugar and lemonade, I spoke to him in German and then we stuck him in an ambulance.

Don't know whether I "saved his life" but it's a good story and I get to drop a tremendous name in the middle and brag about my skill with foreign languages. Ace!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I was in the WRNS and going out with a sailor. I was based in Nato HQ in Northwood and travelled down to Portsmouth to see him.

We went for a drink in Southsea. He told me earlier that he had a bad cold and had reported sick earlier in the day.
He was told it was simply a cold and didn't want to cancel our date because I had already set off.

Halfway through the evening he said he had a pain in his chest so we went out of the bar when he leaned heavily on my shoulder and couldn't breathe.

I saw a Naval patrol wagon and tried to flag them down but they ignored me (probably thought he was drunk) I managed to grab a taxi.

I took him to the Naval Barracks because the dockyard is closed at night to non ship's company.

After checking in the main gate and trying to get the MP's aware of the severity of the problem he was admitted to the sick bay.

I waited until a doc had seen him and was then told he had contracted viral pneumonia. My quick thinking had saved his life and he was transferred to Gosport hospital (RNH Haslar) soon after.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
I was watching Kent against Sussex at Tunbridge Wells when the bloke sitting next to me stood up very slowly then collapsed on me. I was a little taken aback, but I spotted an ID bracelet on his wrist which confirmed he was a) diabetic and b) German.

Then me and the famous West Indian batsman and former Sussex coach Desmond Haynes carried him up the stairs and into the dressing room where we fed him lots of sugar and lemonade, I spoke to him in German and then we stuck him in an ambulance.

Don't know whether I "saved his life" but it's a good story and I get to drop a tremendous name in the middle and brag about my skill with foreign languages. Ace!

It is a good story, Pevvers, but what the hell was a German doing at the cricket?

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Gwylan said:
It is a good story, Pevvers, but what the hell was a German doing at the cricket?

Still haven't a clue... but he's not the first European type I've encountered at a game. Me and my mate Richard once spent a very amusing afternoon at Hove trying to explain what was going on to two Italians who must have been at one of the nearby language schools. When the teams came off for tea, we told them what was happening, and they replied: "What? They stop the game to have a meal?"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here