Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you ever run out of petrol ?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Miles from home without any method of payment and without your mobile phone ?

Well I did this evening, I have never ran out of petrol in nearly 20 years of driving :angry:

I thought I had my wallet on me but no I left it at home.

So I was stranded.

Luckily the nearerst petrol station was 15 mins walk away, so I headed off to try and beg for some help. To my surprise my faith in the corporate fat cat was restored!!
The attendent gave me a petrol bottle and let me fill it up and took my details and said I 7 days to pay it back !!

Well done Tesco and thank you !!

:clap2:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Had to coast in to Esso once as the engine cut out from lack of diesel, but luckily its downhill from my motorway turnoff...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
They have just made £2.65bn profit last year, so five litres of petrol is hardly going to cripple them.

Mind you, it did happen to me once. I was 17 and driving back from Brentford (the one with THAT Garry Nelson goal), and I ran out just by the Happy Eater place just north of Hickstead. Had to go into the Happy Eater and phone my dad, who came out and drove me to the nearest petrol station etc etc.

In my defence, the car's petrol dial was always reading empty - even when full. :jester:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
My Montego once conked out in Lyme Regis and it's a good 3 miles to the nearest Petrol Station, all uphill. Fortunately I had my RAC Gold card on me and they came with a barrel load of petrol to get me to the station (97.9p per litre :angry: ) and bailed me out of a very embarrasing situation.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Yes, and diesel. :down:

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
bhanutz said:
have you not got a petrol gauge?:shootself

Only bought the car last week. It was only just in the red tonight, so I thought I had at least enough to get me home I guess petrol gauges are different on every car.

Like I said, I have been driving for nearly 20 years and have never ran out of petrol before!

It will never happen again thats for certain !
:shootself

Last edited:

Withnail

Jan 16, 2004
Lincoln
The Large One said:
They have just made £2.65bn profit last year, so five litres of petrol is hardly going to cripple them.

Mind you, it did happen to me once. I was 17 and driving back from Brentford (the one with THAT Garry Nelson goal), and I ran out just by the Happy Eater place just north of Hickstead. Had to go into the Happy Eater and phone my dad, who came out and drove me to the nearest petrol station etc etc.

In my defence, the car's petrol dial was always reading empty - even when full. :jester:

That's bizarre!!! The one and only time I ever ran out of petrol I was about 18 and was coming back from a game at Brentford (not the one with THAT Garry Nelson goal) and the car stopped about a mile south of Hickstead. Luckily I had a half full petrol can in the boot.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
I ran out of BEER once.......far more serious.:eek:

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
what kind of blo-, er, security, did you have to give they guy?

once had to walk from Sussex Uni into Brighton, as run out lte evening. thnakfully, got a lift from students, about half distance each way.

pays to always make sure you have 1/2 a tank minimum, and not rely on the fumesto get you 'just another' mile or so..!

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
desprateseagull said:
what kind of blo-, er, security, did you have to give they guy?

once had to walk from Sussex Uni into Brighton, as run out lte evening. thnakfully, got a lift from students, about half distance each way.

pays to always make sure you have 1/2 a tank minimum, and not rely on the fumesto get you 'just another' mile or so..!

Nothing just a copy of my driving license, which luckily was in the glove box.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Yes, in Australia, after hours of driving without any sign of a town or village. Was quite frightening. We ended up free-wheeling into a hamlet, only to find the garage closed. Had to wake up the owner :lolol:

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
desprateseagull said:

f*** me, if I filled up every time I had a half tank i'd be putting petrol in on a daily basis! Don't think that's the greatest idea to be honest :shootself

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Have nearly run out quite a few times, only times I have ever been in a car when that has happened it wasn't mine and I wasn't driving.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I was doing a bit of contract combine harvesting last summer and ran out of diesel in the middle of a 1000 acre corn belt in East Anglia.

*longwalkhome*

:hilton: :dunce:

Without Limits

Jan 14, 2007
Lewes Road Area
I miss having a car

I drive new cars because of work and most of them are really good.Warnings everywhere as if you are about to blow up or something when you still have 50miles left.

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
Eighteen years ago i ran out of petrol on my motor bike and had to push the damn thing three miles up a hill to the nearest filling station

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Yes but lucikly it happened whilst I was at home....Unbeknowns to me the filler neck in my MG Midget had perished and was starting to leak, it finally let go completely overnight one night, and the following morning I arrived at my car, took the roof off, jumped in and thought blimey the petrol smell is strong today (I can usually small petrol in my little car) the guage never worked, so I started it and she coughed and spluttered but started, after my usual five minutes for her to warm up she stalled and wouldn't start again. So I got out and realized that the contents of my petrol tank was on the ground under the car in a massive puddle and slowly running down the road....

Strangely my first thought was to run and get a bucket and spade and scoop it all up and put it back in :dunce:

Never run out whilst motoring though....although given the fact that none of my petrol guages really work its bound to happen one day...

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Skint Gull said:
f*** me, if I filled up every time I had a half tank i'd be putting petrol in on a daily basis! Don't think that's the greatest idea to be honest :shootself

But surely that depends on how much petrol you put in the car doesnt it.

But also if you always have half a tank plus in the car then fuel efficiency will be less as the car is always heavier

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here