Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you ever ..part 4

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Had lots of alarms go off on a Chinook just north of Basra in 2003. Something to do with Surface to Air missile launchers trying to acquire us.

That was quite disconcerting.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
NMH said:
Not much. The engines just provide thrust and trajectory. One engine won't stop a plane from flying even if it were only a two-engine plane. Obviously the pilot would much rather have them all working, and if he can, he'll stay on the ground rather than take off with a fault.

Many times an engine might fail on a plane whilst in the air, and the passengers won't even know it happened.

I know little about the effects of engines but to be reduced to one on one side whilst the other side has two working as you are leaving the ground would surely need some very very quick adjustment with not much room for error. Totally different to losing one whilst at 33000 feet I would have thought, thankfully I didn't find out :ohmy:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Re: Re: Have you ever ..part 4

wehatepalace said:
Every time I get on a plane ! I HATE flying :down:

So do I and I have to take valium just to get on a plane.
I also had a bad experience in 82 flying back from Cyprus. We hit bad weather over Yugoslavia (as it was called then) and dropped suddenly, the oxygen masks fell down, the lights flashed that the lifebelts were to be put on and stewardesses fell over in the aisles.
I just sat there blubbing like a baby and my 11 year old son had to comfort me. :down:

Wasn't exactly an inflight experience but my then girlie and I were flying to Miami on September 11th. We asked to go onto the flight deck and the very nice pilot agreed to allow us to. She was very accomodating, chatting and pointing things out. We later worked out we were on the flight deck at about the time the first planes were being hijacked over NY.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here