Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you ever ..part 4

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Had an inflight experience that scared the shit out of you???

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Icy Gull said:
Had an inflight experience that scared the shit out of you???
I jumped out of an aeroplane once, although I did have a PARACHUTE attached.

Nonetheless, sitting over the edge of a plane for a few seconds with your legs literally flapping in the wind as you look at tractors the size of 5p pieces certainly does scare the shit out of you the first time you do it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
_851523_concordegrab2300.jpg

what?

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
The entire plane I was on flying out of Heathrow in January seemed to flex and creak for the entire journey in a way I'd never seen a plane do so before. Was scared for about a half hour, then was bored, then spent the flight thinking of all the exotic positions in which I wanted to position the hostesses.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Re: Re: Have you ever ..part 4

Simster said:
I jumped out of an aeroplane once, although I did have a PARACHUTE attached.

Nonetheless, sitting over the edge of a plane for a few seconds with your legs literally flapping in the wind as you look at tractors the size of 5p pieces certainly does scare the shit out of you the first time you do it.

Absolutely. But then that quickly subsides when you are out there 'floating'.

I did a tandem dive and thought the first pull of the cord was for the main chute, but nothing happened. I don't remember being scared, just thinking, what a way to go!

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Coming back from the Tottenham FA Cup game in 2005, trying to land at Prestwick in a thunderstorm and lashing winds. We got fifty feet from the ground, before the pilot bottled it and pulled up again!

Landed on the second attempt but it was a bit f***ing scary.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Flying out of Plovdiv airport (Bulgaria - 1982) the plane was still climbing when it hit an air pocket and dropped like a stone for 3-4 seconds.

Not very long I grant you but enough for gasps and screams all round, babies crying etc - not good. Dennis Bergkamp would have had an instant seizure.

Jul 25, 2006
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Coming back from the Tottenham FA Cup game in 2005, trying to land at Prestwick in a thunderstorm and lashing winds. We got fifty feet from the ground, before the pilot bottled it and pulled up again!

Landed on the second attempt but it was a bit f***ing scary.

Similar experience landing at LGW once. Stormy evening, plane was all over the shop coming into land. can't have been more than a couple of hundred feet off the deck when the pilot gives it full throttle and aborts the landing. After the 2nd attempt when we did land the pilot comes over the tannoy and says "sorry about the first effort, we came out of the cloud and realised there was another sitting on the runway waiting to take off" !

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
flying with dan air the oxygen masks deployed. however no oxygen came out of them and then we all realised the plane hadn't depressurised.

Smell it? I was sitting in it!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not quite an inflight experience as we weren't off the ground but on a Flybe British Aerospace 146 from Southampton one of the four engines failed as we about to lift off and the pilot had to slam on the anchors. That was bloody scary at the time. I try not to think of the consequences if we had actually left the ground when it failed :nono:

Last edited:

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
flew to dublin quite a few a year back. on the way there there was a delay as they had discovered that there was an extra bag un-accounted for. had to remain on the plane till its owner was discovered. (this was when the IRA were f***ing about). and on our return it sounded like they hadnt shut the front door as it made a constant hissing sound all of the journey :eek:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
hit extremely bad turbulence trying to land at valencia Airport.....then stewardess come on teh tannoy and asked whoever was using a mobile phone could they switch it off as they were interferring with the instrument panel.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Albion Rob

Terrified of flying - have to take pills to space me out when I fly.

However....

When I was about eight, we flew to Majorca. The pilot had literally just switched the seatbelt sign off when we hit a huge air pocket, probably fell for about two or three seconds but at that point I realised I hated flying. Seatbelt sign went back on and I never left my dad's arm all journey.

The upshot of this is on the way back, I was probably the most annoying kid ever. Wailed all the way and probably made already nervous people positively terrified.

Still, I take my tablets now and don't worry too much about it. Had a dreadful flight back from Verona last October but I found it all rather funny listening to women screaming as my body moved in motion with the plane and I chilled the f*** out :smashedonpolls:

Icy Gull said:
Not quite an inflight experience as we weren't off the ground but on a Flybe British Aerospace 146 from Southampton one of the four engines failed as we about to lift off and the pilot had to slam on the anchors. That was bloody scary at the time. I try not to think of the consequences if we had actually left the ground when it failed :nono:

Not much. The engines just provide thrust and trajectory. One engine won't stop a plane from flying even if it were only a two-engine plane. Obviously the pilot would much rather have them all working, and if he can, he'll stay on the ground rather than take off with a fault.

Many times an engine might fail on a plane whilst in the air, and the passengers won't even know it happened.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Dave the Gaffer said:
hit extremely bad turbulence trying to land at valencia Airport.....then stewardess come on teh tannoy and asked whoever was using a mobile phone could they switch it off as they were interferring with the instrument panel.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

bullshit (not you, the stewardess), GSM phones have been cleared as causing absolutely no problems to use in flight/landing. I think they say it just to stop people doing a Trigger-Happy style "I'M ON THE PLANE"...

Albion Rob said:
Terrified of flying - have to take pills to space me out when I fly.

However....

When I was about eight, we flew to Majorca. The pilot had literally just switched the seatbelt sign off when we hit a huge air pocket, probably fell for about two or three seconds but at that point I realised I hated flying. Seatbelt sign went back on and I never left my dad's arm all journey.

The upshot of this is on the way back, I was probably the most annoying kid ever. Wailed all the way and probably made already nervous people positively terrified.

Still, I take my tablets now and don't worry too much about it. Had a dreadful flight back from Verona last October but I found it all rather funny listening to women screaming as my body moved in motion with the plane and I chilled the f*** out :smashedonpolls:

My return flight back from LA in December was very bumpy. The plane shook, vibrated, bounced and flexed for around 2,000 miles, over bad weather.
It was weird looking down the length of the plane and seeing the whole body bending like a huge airborne fish!

I have heard about those air pockets though, I would enjoy that either.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
hampden park said:
flew to dublin quite a few a year back. on the way there there was a delay as they had discovered that there was an extra bag un-accounted for. had to remain on the plane till its owner was discovered. (this was when the IRA were f***ing about). and on our return it sounded like they hadnt shut the front door as it made a constant hissing sound all of the journey :eek:

I like that. The IRA were f***ing about. :lolol:

Al Quieda are always pissing about at airports as well.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yeah. Coming in to land at Moscow airport on an Aeroflot flight; pilot suddenly pulled out of the touchdown and had to go back to do it again; terrifying stuff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here