Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you ever bought something because it was a shirt sponsor?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I have bought something recently because I liked their sponsor. I have also not bought something for the opposite reason. However, it's down to there being a very similar product being of a very similar price and thus not anything I have made a real issue of.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You'd like to think that nobody was thick enough to have EVER bought ANYTHING because it was a shirt sponsor. Tho sponsors have to expect that SOMEBODY will. Never bought a single SKINT record on account of the nine year sponsorship, tho bought many SKINT teeshirts for reasons both iconic and ironic. Cos it looked good. Sincerely hope that no Geordies ever bought any Northern Rock products. And probably safe to say won't be buying any software services from a Burgess Hill software house or whatever they are. Especially as they have appear to have the right to plonk SHIT or similar on the front of the shirts. stick to me Palookaville top cheers.

Oct 25, 2003
Or Loyal to their own club???

its not really LOYAL though is it, loyal is going to games or contributing to THAT club by buying merchandise. I can vaguely understand buying a product from a company that sponsors YOUR club, such as a skint records CD, but boycotting a company just because they sponsor a rival club? Bit sad to be honest

bn3gunner

Feb 12, 2007
Out of interest, why do you support Arsenal?

Ive supported arsenal since i was born (no choice!) my old man was born in Islington , Im not a johnny come lately and until recently i attended over 50% of home fixtures and as many away fixtures as i could . Although i must say im a tad fed up as i just cant afford to go that much anymore now i have kids.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
its not really LOYAL though is it, loyal is going to games or contributing to THAT club by buying merchandise. I can vaguely understand buying a product from a company that sponsors YOUR club, such as a skint records CD, but boycotting a company just because they sponsor a rival club? Bit sad to be honest

SOrry TL but I don't agree...it works both ways and that's the risk alot of big companies take into consideration when putting their name forward for sponsorship deals.

I refused to buy any virgin products when they sponsored palace in the 90's and I'd still think twice about buying products from a company that funds a club I particularly dislike - After all, by buying products from that company, you're in effect giving the company money to sponsor that club and you're willingly putting money into a rival club.

Oct 25, 2003
SOrry TL but I don't agree...it works both ways and that's the risk alot of big companies take into consideration when putting their name forward for sponsorship deals.

I refused to buy any virgin products when they sponsored palace in the 90's and I'd still think twice about buying products from a company that funds a club I particularly dislike - After all, by buying products from that company, you're in effect giving the company money to sponsor that club and you're willingly putting money into a rival club.

we're going to have to agree to disagree as i couldn't be further from your thinking

bn3gunner

Feb 12, 2007
i just like to think im doing my bit, have never drunk holsten and refused to buy a holiday from thompson- a bit sad but i cant help it

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
the point of advertising is that your not MEANT to be conscious of your viewing of it.

seeing the name on a football shirt every day will certainly get the name around. i hadnt heard of ITS before the sponsorship so that in itself has been a step forward

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
obvously the power of shirt advertising is stronger than we think,or the threat of a boycott

hence rangers/celtic having common sponsors and everton being sponsored by the parent company of liverpools

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
You'd like to think that nobody was thick enough to have EVER bought ANYTHING because it was a shirt sponsor. Tho sponsors have to expect that SOMEBODY will.

No - I don't think sponsors are so simplistic as to expect you to rush out and buy things simply because you saw a brand name on a shirt. As I said, it primarily about awareness and reinforcement and not about directly prompting a purchase.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
obvously the power of shirt advertising is stronger than we think,or the threat of a boycott

hence rangers/celtic having common sponsors and everton being sponsored by the parent company of liverpools

???

Liverpool are sponsored by Carlberg which is owned by Carlsberg A/S

Everton are sponsored by Chang, which is owned by ThaiBev

They're entirely disparate companies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here