Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you ever bought something because it was a shirt sponsor?

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I wonder what ITS think they are going to get out of having their monicka on the most popular and trendy football shirt in England?

Do people buy things because they see it on a shirt, or is it all about brand awareness?

I first started listening to Classic FM after seeing it on QPR's shirt.

A mate of my brother's is a Man City fan and he was on the procurement team of one of the big four high street banks 15 or so years ago. There was this huge project to kit out a computer centre and he was responsible for getting computer firm brother a tender invitation, that they eventually won. Worth millions, due in large part to their decision to sponsor Man City.

On the other hand I know a Spurs fan who chucked his JVC music centre out because of Arsenal.

Any other good tales?

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
i refuse to use Sharp or Vodafone products for years because of the scum influence.

never needed to use Churchill or GAC so couldn't say the same there..

other then that not really, no

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I bought the Palookaville album just because it was on sale the same time as the shirt came out.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
i used to have churchill insurance then they palce sponsored them, only left beause i got a cheaper quote.

cant say sponsorship really sways me to buy/not to buy anything

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
years ago I bought an expensive polo shirt with one of them green crocodiles on it...lacoste?

Washed it a couple of times and it shrunk!!!

Never again

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
i refuse to use Sharp or Vodafone products for years because of the scum influence.

never needed to use Churchill or GAC so couldn't say the same there..

other then that not really, no

I was the same with Vodaphone - I immediately cancelled my contract when they started sponsoring the scum. The woman seemed quite surprised when I gave her the reason - I thought they would have been flooded with cancellations at that time!!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
No. I have never given it a thought. I buy something because I won't it

As a man who has spent his whole career in advertising all I can do when I hear people say that is think "Kerrr-ching!!!" You are SO wrong.

Objective of shirt sponsorship is normally either brand awareness for a targeted or affinity audience or to get marginal additional coverage for an already well known brand through association. In and of itself shirt sponsorship is unlikely to make you do anything, but as part of a cohesive marketing mix, then it can contribute.

My personal view is that it's a highly marginal medium that is more often used as an ego thing or because someone knows someone else. In some cases - such as the Emirates - I can see that it might have some effect on brand awareness and indirectly affect propensity to consume.

bn3gunner

Feb 12, 2007
my whole house was kitted out with with jvc hifis and tvs in the 80's+90's and i brought a dreamcast and had 02 as my provider but am yet to fly emirates

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I never flew with British Caledonian, nor did I drink anything brewed by Phoenix...however, I have definitely bought and used NOBO products and also CDs produced by Skint.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
no, and like others, sponsors on the wrong team shirts will make me avoid that brand.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I've quite a few Skint CDs, but would have had them anyway

I won't use Vodafone due to them being price gouging bastards; can't use Churchill insurance, don't even know what GAC do...

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
my whole house was kitted out with with jvc hifis and tvs in the 80's+90's and i brought a dreamcast and had 02 as my provider but am yet to fly emirates

Out of interest, why do you support Arsenal?

Il Duce

Sussex 'till I die
Aug 19, 2006
NW8
When a was a wee boy with Spurs sympathies I always wanted to like Holsten, even though I didn't really know what it was. And I certainly didn't like beer.

Nowadays it is more of a negative for me, in that I would never, ever get a phone from O2 or fly with Emirates.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Never Fly with , Fly Emirates.:cool:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here