Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Have you ever been to an England football game?

Have you ever been to an England game?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes. Quite a few. My first ever game was the England u21 Ward hatrick game. Also been to Wembley a few times. Recall a game against Eire when Greenwood was in charge, and Poland just after Italia ‘90. Also been to three aways, Azerbaijan (Baku), Russia (Moscow) and Germany (Berlin.) To be honest I lost interest around 25 years ago though. I remember still supporting England during Euro 96 but had given up by France ‘98.

I went to Euro ‘96 and was at the England semi. Went to France ‘98 and Euro 2000 but deliberately avoided England in these tournaments.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Yes Sweden - England in Gothenburg 2004. Sweden won 1-0 and Zlatan scored the winning goal. All I remember from the England team was that Alan Thompson made his debut.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
When I was at school we used to travel up from melksham every home game to Wembley ( our PE Staff were mad keen) and then we did the same from Falmer school. Went with the junior seagulls a few times too.

biggest win…Malcolm macdonalds 6 vs Cyprus
worst. 0-0 vs Saudi Arabia
I was at that Saudi Arabia game at Wembley, it was the final warm-up before France 98. Possibly the worst game of association football I have ever, ever seen.

Saw us beat Poland 3-0 at Wembley in the doomed 1993 qualifying campaign (Ferdinand, Gascoigne, Pearce).

Saw us beat USA 2-0 in a friendly in 2008 (Terry, Gerrard). Beckham got a gong from Bobby Charlton for his 100th cap.

I fink thats it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Saw a Wembley WC qualifier against Moldova in September 97 when Ian Wright Wright Wright scored, in front of a 74,000 crowd. Before that, a world cup qualifier in October 76 against Finland in front of a massive 24,000 crowd. English international football in the 70s was dog shit, and by the time I went it was beginning to attract the embarrassing element that seemed to hold sway up to the debacle in Ireland when the cretins got the match abandoned when The Irish went into the lead. (Pride salvaged, I imagine they thought. No surrender! Patriots! :shootself )

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Other: Nope, indifferent.

However, if money and time permits, I'll try and get to a couple of World Cup games here in the US & Canada.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Started going late 80’s to Wembley games, soon found out a way to get in for nothing. Went to the last game at the old Wembley v Germany and the first full England game at the new Wembley against Brazil.
After Euro 96 joined the England members club and went to Germany v England 1-5 game, Tunisia game in Marseille France 98, V Argentina in Sapporo 2002 , Paraguay and Portugal in Germany 2006, away in Azerbaijan, away friendly in South Africa , Amsterdam a few times and the last game was the Euro final 2021.
Might take a look if we get through on Wednesday.
Press pass?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
V Czech 1978 (Wembley)
I went on a school trip to that match

IMG_1653.jpeg

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
First was way back in time for the England B at The Goldstone (thanks for the reminder!). Only other time was a qualifier vs Bulgaria (Kane hatrick) thanks to @Giraffe who so kindly sold me England Club tickets so I could take GF and her kids for one of their 21st bdays. Had a great time.

edit - plus the England u21s at the Amex

Last edited:

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Republic of Ireland at wembley which I believe was a friendly.
Russia at wembley in a world cup qualifier. Bloke in front of us went to the loo, we scored, he went to the loo a second time and we scored again (he was fuming) and the third goal I poked my brother in the eye. Good times.

My first international game was actually Latvia v Northern Ireland in Riga, 2007. Ireland scored the only goal, but at the wrong end.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Used to go to plenty of home qualifying games for WC/Euros during the 80s (was there for the famous attempt by Geoff Thomas) but then in the early 90s I got Sky and then everyone I knew used to come to mine for the games!!! I then went to the Czech game in the last Euros.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
First one was Bobby Charlton’s 100th v N Ireland
George Best scored I think.

Then loads of others - the kid Maradona in a friendly at Wembley a standout. What a player he was!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Been to quite a few Wembley homes, schoolboy games with my club when I played as a kid, Gazza England B at the Goldstone and the game (U21?) March played in at The Amex, plus England Women v New Zealand also at the Amex.

Not been away but have a few mates who’ve watched us all over the planet.

Honestly don’t understand how you can be an English football fan and not support England. We’re probably the only country that does that.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Had a Club Wembley ST for the first 10 seasons at new Wembley at one of the prime Club Wembley seats then the cheeky b***s doubled the price and move me a block away from corner flag so that was that. Most memorable were the two games against Croatia, 2-3 and 5-1.

My solitary away game was at St Etienne in the infamous round of 16 match in 1998. I was interviewed by Argentinian TV ("What do you think of Maradona?" "He's a jolly good chap, and very good with his hands") and had a seat at the end right in line of Owen's goal, and the penalties.

It isn't a big stadium and I recall looking out just after Sol Campbell could have put us 2-1 up to see a woman struggling across the road with two heavy bags of shopping, totally oblivious to the unfolding drama a few metres away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here